Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 07-18-2007, 01:55 PM   #1
luigi>mario
Now known as Luigi

Default NBA, foreigners, national teams

The NBA is not what it used to be in the ratings world. Football is more king than it ever has been. In an effort to survive, the NBA has gone global and a lot of great players have entered the league.

However, with all the Yi news and the recent team USA failures, I have been thinkin, what would the basketball world be like if players stayed and played for their national teams and the NBA stayed in the USA? Would the Europe leagues be worth watching? Would average Americans (who happen to be of mixed national origions) rather watch the USA NBA? Should the NBA expand to have international teams in the league?

Could a world basketball cup become something like the World soccer cup?
luigi>mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 01:58 PM   #2
Interminator
Banned

Default Re: NBA, foreigners, national teams

^^The Olympics=World Cup Of Basketball

Big-Name Stars like Shaq,Garnett,McGrady,AI wont play for the USA Team anymore

But if we did then we'd be humiliated because other teams are better with teamwork
Interminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 02:02 PM   #3
pj24lal

It couldn't happen, the soccer World Cup has 32 teams in it - each with 26 players - and only 2 of the 32 nations in the 2006 World Cup had all their players playing for a club within that country. Each country has 3 or 4 leagues with about 20 teams. There just aren't that many good basketball players!! Basketball awareness would need to be raised in other Continents for anything like that ever to happen.
pj24lal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 02:05 PM   #4
luigi>mario
Now known as Luigi

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj24lal
Basketball awareness would need to be raised in other Continents for anything like that ever to happen.

I agree. But what if every foreign player stayed in his country playing for the team he was on before he got drafted to the NBA? A lot of those guys could stimulate a lot of Basketball growth in their areas. Not to teh soccer level of course, but something smaller.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:16 PM   #5
dhenk
Why do you care?

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigi>mario
I agree. But what if every foreign player stayed in his country playing for the team he was on before he got drafted to the NBA? A lot of those guys could stimulate a lot of Basketball growth in their areas. Not to teh soccer level of course, but something smaller.

Sorry,no...Im from Germany,and if the MVP would play here,I`m certain there will be alot of basketball buzz,but it would be far less thn soccer gets.There is so much soccer on TV,you can watch it everyday,almost the whole day.

Dirk Nowitzki would earn around 2mil.$ annual.and he would outplay everybody.I think the reason why he became so good was because he played in the nba,not in europe,against real competition.

In most countries,you can`t see the nba on TV!!It`s too expensive for the TVStations to purchase the rights.It`s the NBAs fault that there is no buzz...
dhenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 02:24 PM   #6
luigi>mario
Now known as Luigi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhenk
it would be far less thn soccer gets.

I think the reason why he [Dirk Nowitzki] became so good was because he played in the nba,not in europe,against real competition.

[/b]

That is a great point. Playing with the best gets them better faster. But there are also a lot of foreign guys who aren't playing as many minutes or as big of a role they could in their home countries. I'll bet there are a lot of Gordon Giricek type guys who are borderline starters that would get a lot of time and attention on their national teams. Sometimes experience is what they need to develop if they aren't ready to play 30 minutes in a large role.

I know nothing can rival soccer. But could a world NBA tournament hold a market to be at least profitable?
Old 07-18-2007, 02:31 PM   #7
pj24lal

I live in England, and taking away the internet, there is no way I can ever find out whats going on in the basketball world. During the season, as a NBA fan, I watch highilights every day and one full broadcast a week. So in other countries around Europe it must be extremely difficult to keep up! A World-Cup-style tournament is a good idea but I agree that the NBA is a huge part of the foreign players' sucess and if they stayed in their country they would never reach National level.
pj24lal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 03:02 PM   #8
Rameek
Krust Kingz

The NBA was never number 1 anywhere at anytime. Its not a global sport. Baseball & Football (Soccer) are probably the only popular global sports.
If all the foreign players stayed home and played in there country they would be poorer thats about it.

Rameek is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: