Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Very good NBA starter

Default Re: Tim Duncan 2nd all time in Playoff Double-Doubles

Dude has been amazingly consistent from day 1

Put up 32 pts / 10 rbs in his first playoff game 15 years ago.

And haters say Tim D. is not Top 10 ever...what BS!

This just shows how great Tim Duncan truly is. Magic Johnson is the most impressive on the list, though.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

I love Duncan....but things like this really should come with an explanation. Russell played a lot less playoff games despite going to 12 finals because he had less rounds to get there. And later in Hakeem, Kareem, Bird, magic, and so ons day...first seeds got a bye some of that time and had 3 game first round series when they didnt....so...no 7 game first rounds and 4 full rounds to get extra games played.

Wilt had 10 rebounds or more in every game of his career. So he would have one every playoff game other than the few he scored under 10 points.

Give him 4 rounds....4 games at least each...have him make the 6 six finals...

Im not sure how it changes the numbers. But they change.

Duncan is still near the top since hes played longer than those guys(kareem/hakeem aside) did. But I still felt it was fair to mention.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    I love Duncan....but things like this really should come with an explanation. Russell played a lot less playoff games despite going to 12 finals because he had less rounds to get there. And later in Hakeem, Kareem, Bird, magic, and so ons day...first seeds got a bye some of that time and had 3 game first round series when they didnt....so...no 7 game first rounds and 4 full rounds to get extra games played.

Wilt had 10 rebounds or more in every game of his career. So he would have one every playoff game other than the few he scored under 10 points.

Duncan is still near the top since hes played longer than those guys(kareem/hakeem aside) did. But I still felt it was fair to mention.
    So you think Gale Sayers is the greatest RB ever, right?

I brick nerf balls La Frescobaldi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855

True.

Chamberlain played in a total of 160 playoff games; he got a double double in 143 of them.
    8 of the 17 playoff games he missed getting 10 or more points... were in his last season, at age 36 (which was MIGHTY OLD back then).

Nevertheless - Duncan cementing his all time greatness a little more!!
    edit.......... and for one other thing about Timmy D - the dude has been one of the most exciting centers to ever play the game. I'm calling them out right now: People that say he's boring........... are boring themselves.

Why are people surprised Magic is 1st.

He only averaged a near triple double in his playoff career and played like what, 99999 playoff games?

Quote Originally Posted by Kellogs4toniee
    Why are people surprised Magic is 1st.

He only averaged a near triple double in his playoff career and played like what, 99999 playoff games?
    Because they're thinking rebounds and not assists...

Quote Originally Posted by ReturnofJPR
    So you think Gale Sayers is the greatest RB ever, right?
    He had 3 1/2 seasons of brilliance, and then was cut down by major injuries. There are those that believe he might have been the greatest all-around back in NFL history.

In any case, there are a couple of schools of thought here. Do you prefer Don Sutton or Sandy Koufax? One pitched for 20 years and had one 20 win season, and he was seldom even the best pitcher on his own team. Koufax was ordinary for over half of his relatively short career, then dominated baseball like few other's (take a look at how his Dodgers did in '62, '63, '65 and '66...and then where they finished when he missed 1/4 of the season in '64, and the year after he retired.)

As for Duncan...he has had a long, and great, NBA career.

And as for Wilt...in the first half of his post-season career, he averaged 30 ppg, 27 rpg, 4.5 apg, and shot .515...per game. And who knows how many blocked shots (he averaged some 6-7 per game in his last two post-seasons for cryingoutloud.) Included were four 50+ point games, three of which were in "must-win" games (including a 50-35 game against Russell.) He also had entire post-seasons of 33 ppg, 35 ppg, 35 ppg, and 37 ppg. Included were entire series of 37 ppg, 37 ppg, and 39 ppg. He even had playoff series against Russell of 28-30, 29-27, 30-27, 30-31 (on .555 shooting), and 33-27.

And forget "double-double's" with Chamberlain. How about eight entire post-seasons of 20+-20+? And a slew of 30-30 games, including games of 42-37, 45-27, 46-34, 50-22, 50-35, 53-22, and 56-35. Or two straight post-season series of 28-27-11 .612 and 22-32-10 .556 (the latter against Russell.) And here again, had blocked shots been officially recorded, probably many "triple-and even quad doubles."

BTW, a "prime scoring" Chamberlain (in his "scoring" seasons), played in 80 playoff games, and outscored his opposing center in 78 of them. And I suspect he outrebounded them in probably somewhere around 60 of them.

So, if you were attempting to make a comparison of Wilt to Sayers...well, take a second look.

Quote Originally Posted by LAZERUSS
    He had 3 1/2 seasons of brilliance, and then was cut down by major injuries. There are those that believe he might have been the greatest all-around back in NFL history.

In any case, there are a couple of schools of thought here. Do you prefer Don Sutton or Sandy Koufax? One pitched for 20 years and had one 20 win season, and he was seldom even the best pitcher on his own team. Koufax was ordinary for over half of his relatively short career, then dominated baseball like few other's (take a look at how his Dodgers did in '62, '63, '65 and '66...and then where they finished when he missed 1/4 of the season in '64, and the year after he retired.)

As for Duncan...he has had a long, and great, NBA career.

And as for Wilt...in the first half of his post-season career, he averaged 30 ppg, 27 rpg, 4.5 apg, and shot .515...per game. And who knows how many blocked shots (he averaged some 6-7 per game in his last two post-seasons for cryingoutloud.) Included were four 50+ point games, three of which were in "must-win" games (including a 50-35 game against Russell.) He also had entire post-seasons of 33 ppg, 35 ppg, 35 ppg, and 37 ppg. Included were entire series of 37 ppg, 37 ppg, and 39 ppg. He even had playoff series against Russell of 28-30, 29-27, 30-27, 30-31 (on .555 shooting), and 33-27.

And forget "double-double's" with Chamberlain. How about eight entire post-seasons of 20+-20+? And a slew of 30-30 games, including games of 42-37, 45-27, 46-34, 50-22, 50-35, 53-22, and 56-35. Or two straight post-season series of 28-27-11 .612 and 22-32-10 .556 (the latter against Russell.) And here again, had blocked shots been officially recorded, probably many "triple-and even quad doubles."

BTW, a "prime scoring" Chamberlain (in his "scoring" seasons), played in 80 playoff games, and outscored his opposing center in 78 of them. And I suspect he outrebounded them in probably somewhere around 60 of them.

So, if you were attempting to make a comparison of Wilt to Sayers...well, take a second look.
    You just had to add Wilt yet AGAIN. Wilt is not mentioned in the Playoffs, he is a regular season great. Always trying to prop up his playoff "career" is shameful.

Local High School Star Solid Snake's Avatar

I'm gonna explain exactly why people are so "on the fence" about making him a definitive top 10. Note, I don't necessarily have an opinion, but just explaining why I feel people don't have him as a lock.

Look at his PPG year by year. It's surprisingly low. You'd think this guy was scoring in the mid to high 20s. He's actually only cracked the mid 20s in PPG ONCE in his whole career, every other year was pretty much 21ppg - 23ppg.

That doesn't paint the whole picture, as he was a defensive beast, and was very unselfish. BUT>........look at every other big man in what's usually considered the defacto top 10 list. Notice anything? They ALL have mid to high 20s in PPG, if not higher.

That's the reason. Duncan's career scoring average is deceptively low.

Quote Originally Posted by Solid Snake
    I'm gonna explain exactly why people are so "on the fence" about making him a definitive top 10. Note, I don't necessarily have an opinion, but just explaining why I feel people don't have him as a lock.

Look at his PPG year by year. It's surprisingly low. You'd think this guy was scoring in the mid to high 20s. He's actually only cracked the mid 20s in PPG ONCE in his whole career, every other year was pretty much 21ppg - 23ppg.

That doesn't paint the whole picture, as he was a defensive beast, and was very unselfish. BUT>........look at every other big man in what's usually considered the defacto top 10 list. Notice anything? They ALL have mid to high 20s in PPG, if not higher.

Russell?

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce Bigalow
    You just had to add Wilt yet AGAIN. Wilt is not mentioned in the Playoffs, he is a regular season great. Always trying to prop up his playoff "career" is shameful.
    Maybe you can't read. Wilt IS mentioned in the OP. And Duncan playing in 199 post-season games to Wilt's 160, just "equalled" Wilt's 143 career "double-doubles." Of course, had blocked shots been recorded in Chamberlain's day, he would have considerably more. And no one had more 20-20 playoff games that Chamberlain (or 30-20, 30-30, or 40-20, 40-30, or 50-20, or 50-30, either.)
    Last edited by LAZERUSS; 05-15-2013 at 09:24 PM.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by Solid Snake

But shouldn't we consider context?

First off, Spurs are a slow team, low scoring team. Particularly when they were most dominant. So a 20 point game from a Spurs player really means more than for an average team.

Also, Duncan has been the ultimate "team player", thus allowing his teams in the second half of his career to go far, and it's not like he's lacking the skills to get him 25-35 point games (he's done it too many times for it to be an anomaly).

In other words, don't you think if Duncan was in place of Garnett on those crappy Wolves teams his scoring averages would be higher for more seasons?

If anything, Duncan will probably become an underrated scorer to the masses who didn't really get to watch him play in his prime. In his third or fourth season, I remember he dropped a then career high 46 points on Malone and the Jazz.

Quote Originally Posted by LAZERUSS
    Maybe you can't read. Wilt IS mentioned in the OP. And Duncan playing in 199 post-season games to Wilt's 160, just "equalled" Wilt's 143 career "double-doubles." Of course, had blocked shots been recorded in Chamberlain's day, he would have considerably more. And no one had more 20-20 playoff games that Chamberlain (or 30-20, 30-30, or 40-20, 40-30, or 0-20, or50-30, either.)
    Can you say REGULAR SEASON?