Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Jacked-up bodybuilder vs MMA fighter who will win?

I'm a trained fighter who has alot of friends in the sport of bodybuilding. Most of you guys are severely underestimating the movement and uncanny strength of a body builder. They are not just some sluggish oaf with no co-ordination and crumble under one punch. Also given some training gives them a little bit of an edge.
    I knew a competitive body builder who also trained with Rocky Miavia. He competes at light heavyweight in body building. I would hestitate to try and fight him. And as stated size is a serious factor in fighting. This guy outweighs me about about 40 pounds of dense muscle. He could very well weather punches and kicks and grab a hold of me.
    Having said that I wouls still take the MMA fighter, but it's alot closer than most of you would assume. It's also the fight in the fighter. Same size person, give it to the MMA guy. 40lb+ it becomes a little tricky

Strength is only one of the many, many factors in an MMA fight. This question is retarded . Maybe a body builder could beat some wannabe, tap out shirt wearing back yard fighter but an actual professional who has dedicated years and years to fighting isn't gonna be beaten by some bodybuilder who has trained for 3 months

Quote Originally Posted by The Macho Man
    nah
    Nah too what? I said an MMA fighter would win

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Best MMA fighter vs best bodybuilder, give me that skill every time. This is like asking if some random 7 footer would be better at basketball than Mugsy Bogues.

Nah about it being closer than people think
    If it's a matter of giving up 40lb+ and a considerable reach it is a lot closer. I'm speaking from experience, not assumptions.

Quote Originally Posted by tgan3

I will pay to watch something like that happen.
    it already has happened...quite a few times.

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/82493348/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wfcQVxV5Cw

- Granted Mario might not be a " body builder"...but he def trains his body in similar fashion.

- asking if a body builder could beat a MMA Fighter is the same as asking if a NBA player/football player/______________player can fight?

- it depends on the person and if that person trains for MMA / has any experience in MMA.

- Of course if you have a good MMA Fighter...he / she will be the favorite to beat any athlete ( with no/limited MMA experience) in a MMA style fight..

BUT.....

if you teach the stronger/smarter athlete how to fight...they may pick up technique faster and be better at it.....IMO strength training athletes/body builders have done fairly well in MMA with the limited technique they may have had.

the biggest obstacle ( as many have said) is Cardio....your heart working extra to pump blood to all the muscle....if you can achieve a high recovery / cardio rate....then having extra strength would def help.

I have seen just as many fat guys gas out as I have Muscle heads

Are we talking about actual good fighters or any random dickhead at an mma gym?

Nobody in the world is beating a good fighter with 3 months of training.
    Did I not say I would take the MMA fighter? The argument is it's alot closer than a cakewalk like you're assuming

This is like asking if some random 7 footer would be better at basketball than Mugsy Bogues.
    Perfect analogy. The bodybuilder would get destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by Myth
    This is like asking if some random 7 footer would be better at basketball than Mugsy Bogues.
    One on one yeah an athletic 7 footer should win easily with 3 months training against Muggsy.

Banned

you guys are really underestimating these beasts. Don't let the speedos fool you.

Grappling and BJJ isn't going to work. Arm bar and triangles? Forget about it. Mounts? Nope.

5-time NBA All-Star

I'm with hateraid on this one.

I see way way way too much CARRYOVER between the respective sports to see how this would be a pure annihilation.

Have we not forgotten how much FOCUS, WILLPOWER, DISCIPLINE, DEDICATION, and capacity to ENDURE PAIN anybody who's put on a substantial amount of muscle endures?

... the same amount of principles that make a well-rounded fighter.

If someone like Coleman had done a plethora of:
    Power cleans
    Overhead Presses
    Deadlifts
    Squats
    Anti-rotation Core Exercises
    Planks
    HGH/Test to get that chin and jaw bone density up
    and had cop training (armbar lock stuff)

Not only would his strength be top notch.. but his speed, power, and defense also.

And you guys are being a bit crazy. Yes, boxing is the toughest cardio sport out there with the exception being triathalon. Yes the amount of max V02 consumed in a wrestling bout is crazy and yes fatigue is definitely an issue for a larger guy...
    but have you seen a bodybuilder's cutting hypertrophy high volume low intensity routine? It. Is. NO. Joke. When max rest is 30-45 seconds, you damn well believe the guy is in shape to put up successions of 8-12 reps in whatever he's doing.

Now let's boil it down to the motions.

Imagine his first step acceleration when he's doing a take down. He has 3 months. 90 FUKKING DAYS to perfect his technique. That's about a half ton of leg power stored in those springs. Imagine the strength and elasticity of those tendons, and the impregnable fortress that is his abs.

If he divies up his skills into building the essentials and spends hours and hours dedicating his time to it.
    Half-guard
    Mount
    Standup boxing
    A few kicks
    with an unorthodox style

Then by good odin's raven's luck the MMA guy may just miscalculate something leaving him vulnerable for a pounding.

Now I still believe that at the VERY LEAST 8-9/10 times the decent MMA fighter is gonna clown him, but absolute destruction? Nah.. the bodybuilder just might get lucky and catch the fella off guard. And he's not going down easy either.

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine
    One on one yeah an athletic 7 footer should win easily with 3 months training against Muggsy.
    No. Mugsy would be able to score every single time. If you include 3 pointers there is very little chance.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSilentKiller
    No. Mugsy would be able to score every single time. If you include 3 pointers there is very little chance.

Learning to shoot layups

I don't care how big you are if you haven't trained your shins for years to take absolute punishment you will go down with one kick. Give me Bones Jones against any body builder in the world

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine
    Nooooo. Muggsy has two options...stand out at the three point line and knock down open threes...or run around that pylon for easy lay-ins. The seven footer wouldn't stand a chance. You also gotta keep in mind a the 7-footer would only have 3 months of training, so his shot selection and just overall bball IQ would be novice at best.