Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast
    Local High School Star KelticForce1349's Avatar

Default Re: Serge Ibaka has reached agreement on a four-year, 48 million contract extension

Quote Originally Posted by Raz
    Ibaka just got overpaid. He's a good shot blocker, and that's it. Stupid player who just robbed Sam Presti. He should have tried turning Ibaka and Harden into some sick assets.

Sick assets such as?

Very good NBA starter

Default Re: Serge Ibaka has reached agreement on a four-year, 48 million contract extension

How is Iblocka overpaid when guys like Deandre Jordan and Javale Mcgee are getting money in the same neighbourhood. This is a fair deal for Ibaka, not a steal by any means. He can still improve his offensive game and man defense. Okc once again shows why they have some of the best management in the league by locking him up before some idiot GM could offer him a max deal(I'm looking at you David Kahn). What OKC needs to do is trade Harden because he's definitely going to get overpaid big time.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore KB24's Avatar

Bad contract on paper but makes sense compared to other overpaid bigs in the league

Good college starter Rubio2Gasol's Avatar

Javale Mcgee got 11 million a year So I think he could possibly get more.

I rep Lakers!

Quote Originally Posted by Rubio2Gasol
    Javale Mcgee got 11 million a year So I think he could possibly get more.
    And Roy Hibbert got offered the max too. Harden isn't taking less money to stay with them though.

While I was a little upset to see that $40M+ ended up being closer to $50M, I don't know what else Presti could've done. Odds are Ibaka was going to end up getting $12M per year offers if he hit the market in the summer anyway.

Banned

OVERPAID. Ibaka is so overrated as a defender, all he does is block shots that's IT. ~15 million in his final year ... what a joke.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WeGetRing2012
    And Roy Hibbert got offered the max too. Harden isn't taking less money to stay with them though.

Banned

Honestly, if I were the Thunder I'd try to have Ibaka bulk up a bit and run him at center.

Perkins's defense on Dwight Howard is so overrated, it's annoying - Howard is a mobile big guy who'll get his numbers regardless of who's defending him. Ibaka on the other hand can't defend perimeter big guys and considering his biggest (and perhaps only asset major) asset is his shot blocking, he could potentially be molded into a pretty good defensive anchor.

For OKC sake does Harden play better starting or off the bench or what lineup does OKC play with to win in a season? Does Harden buy into playing as the 6th man or does he believe he should be starting with max money?

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop_Cat
    OVERPAID. Ibaka is so overrated as a defender, all he does is block shots that's IT. ~15 million in his final year ... what a joke.

Again, how is it overpaying when a number of teams would've offered him this much or more per year in the summer? It is what it is and, to be honest, $12M may be on the low side of what teams would've been offering him in the summer.

I just get a kick out of people on ISH rushing to a thread to claim how a team overpaid or got horrible deal when they re-sign a player who would've hit the market at the end of the season, and got just as big of offers (if not bigger) than he re-signed for.

I rep Lakers!

Either way you put it the Thunder will be limited in future years....

They will be paying a lot of money to keep their core together or lose one of them.

Durant is on a 5yr/ 87 mil contract
    Westbrook is on a 5yr/80 mil contact
    Ibaka now at 4yr/48 mil

Harden isn't taking less than Ibaka so if they want to keep him his contract will be 4yrs/ 48-58(max) mil

And then you add in Perkins who's contract won't make much of a difference because they will be well over the cap. So either you keep him and have a avg C on the team for 24mil over 3yrs or amnesty him and hope Thabeet can fill his role.

The Thunder have done a great job by drafting these young players but now they have to pay big money to keep them together & work with little cash to build around them. And is a core of Durant/Westbrook/Ibaka/ & maybe Harden enough?

National High School Star CJ Mustard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chips93
    thats the same as bogut, LMA, horford, noah and marc gasol.

so that sounds about right to me, assuming ibaka continues to improve
    Give me all of those guys over Ibaka easily. Terrible contract, the guy is exclusively a shot blocker.

Quote Originally Posted by WeGetRing2012
    And then you add in Perkins who's contract won't make much of a difference because they will be well over the cap. So either you keep him and have a avg C on the team for 24mil over 3yrs or amnesty him and hope Thabeet can fill his role.

The Thunder have done a great job by drafting these young players but now they have to pay big money to keep them together & work with little cash to build around them. And is a core of Durant/Westbrook/Ibaka/ & maybe Harden enough?
    Or they amnesty Perkins, see how Perry Jones plays this year, and go with an Ibaka/PJ3 frontcourt for the future. That, or start an Ibaka/Collison frontcourt.

Or they amnesty Perkins, don't re-sign Maynor, and sign a vet center for the minimum.

Yes, the Thunder are in "trouble" but how is that any different than what the Lakers and Heat have been doing by spending the majority of their payroll on 3-4 players t the expense of a good bench? The Lakers have a start studded starting lineup and good sixth man in Jamison, but the rest of their bench is shit. The Heat have their "Big 3" and Ray Allen, but the rest of their bench is pretty meh. I mean, that's now any different than the situation the Thunder would be in if they also re-sign Harden. I know they won't have the money the Lakers have, but they'd have a 24-25 year old core of Durant, Westbrook, Harden, Ibaka, and Perry Jones (if he pans out) to build around.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ Mustard
    Give me all of those guys over Ibaka easily. Terrible contract, the guy is exclusively a shot blocker.

He's 22 years old. You nor anyone else have any idea if this it for Ibaka. It's not like he's reached his ceiling and is done improving.

I'll ask again, what was Presti and the OKC front office supposed to do? Wait until the summer and be put in a position to have to match a 13-14M per year offer sheet or let him walk?