Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Default Re: Who are your top 5 guitarists of all time?

Quote Originally Posted by Budadiiii
    Richards is probably the GOAT.
    As a rhythm player, he's damn good. Again, not technically mind-blowing, but incredible song-writing and instincts.

He didn't play much lead though.

No love for the King brothers (BB, Albert, Freddie and the much slept on Earl King?)
    Steve Cropper
    Chuck Berry
    Prince
    Jesse Johnson

Not my 5, just a few who hve not been named yet.

Banned

I just watched this concert called G3 because I heard all these guitarists were good. It was Joe Satriani, Steve Vai and Yngwie Malmsteen. At the end they all came on together and played Rocking in the Free World and Little Wing. It was really the worst thing ever. Neil Young does more then all three of these guys put together and they murdered Hendrix in the worst way possible. I always see those three guys high on lists of greatest ever guitarists but they sucked pretty bad apart from technique which was impressive, which just made it more sad because they just wasted it playing bad songs and bad covers of good songs. Also Steve Vai played with a triple neck guitar but only used one of the necks, and when he was on stage a wind machine was always blowing his hair back, wtf is this shit.
    Last edited by Nick Young; 01-06-2014 at 09:17 PM.

Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer? johndeeregreen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Young
    I just watched this concert called G3 because I heard all these guitarists were good. It was Joe Satriani, Steve Vai and Yngwie Malmsteen. At the end they all came on together and played Rocking in the Free World and Little Wing. It was really the worst thing ever. Neil Young does more then all three of these guys put together and they murdered Hendrix in the worst way possible. I always see those three guys high on lists of greatest ever guitarists but they sucked pretty bad apart from technique which was impressive, which just made it more sad because they just wasted it playing bad songs and bad covers of good songs. Also Steve Vai played with a triple neck guitar but only used one of the necks, and when he was on stage a wind machine was always blowing his hair back, wtf is this shit.
    Yeah those G3 jams are intolerable. I'm sorry you subjected yourself to that.

Smile, you're on ISH Crystallas's Avatar

Everyone is allowed their opinion. But for me, personally, I'm just happy only one person mentioned Clapton, who IMO is far too over-rated. Which is sad, he does have some awesome contributions, but not goatworthy.

John Petrucci, Dimebag, Marty Friedman, Kirk Hammett, and James Hetfield.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zlMTSPjRLQ

National High School Star dr.hee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Young
    Vai and his wind machine I mean all three are incredible players, but G3 is horrible. Those Hendrix covers they do with all the pointless solos and shit...if you really have to cover Hendrix, then like SRV or Andy Timmons(underrated imo). John Mayer is pulling it off as well(Wait Until Tomorrow). But the shred guys somehow don't get it imo.

There are only a few highly technical players I can somewhat enjoy. Guthrie Govan is just ridiculously good. His music is at least tolerable, and as a player, the guy's unreal. Can do just about anything on a guitar.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T02w4PiEGQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_0QizlG7Rs

Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer? johndeeregreen's Avatar

I've posted this a million times, but this is my favorite of all the Little Wing covers.

All you listing Page are idiots. Anyway:

Gilmour
    Schon
    Moore
    Hackett
    Beck

Quote Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
    All you listing Page are idiots. Anyway:

Gilmour
    Schon
    Moore
    Hackett
    Beck

Tony Iommi
    Dimebag Darrell
    James Hetfield
    Jimi Hendrix
    Carlos Santana

[QUOTE=moaz]I Know you mean here "US" culture related (electric) guitarists, and all lists here are great.

I like classic guitars and if you are really interested in the instrument you should widen your horizon :-). You can't go anyway without the Spanish connection which has beside the classics the great flamenco guitarists. Here are two examples, if you like them just google the rest.

Andres Segovia (classic)
    http://youtu.be/lCeebWgjrrU
    If you are more interested check his "circle". You'll find players from all the world who trained by him (he was born in 1893).

Paco de Luc

Tom Delong?

______________________ Balla_Status's Avatar

Is James Hetfield really that good? I never thought of him as that good since he was the rhythm guitarist for Metallica.

F[COLOR="Black"]u[/COLOR]ck I need to get my guitar back.

Dunking on everybody in the park Breezy's Avatar

For the record I don't necessarily think these are the 'best' in term of technical prowess but the best in terms of creative and artistic ability.

1. James Hetfield
    2. Mikael Akerfeldt
    3. Al Di Meola
    4. David Gilmore
    5. Paul Allender

guy's like Steve Vai, Yngwie Malmsteen, and Kirk Hammett are all technically superior players (Not over di meola) but there is more to wielding the axe.