Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 05-15-2012, 03:06 PM   #1
barkleynash
Local High School Star

Default New look raptors

Sign Dragic, move derozen to 3.
Draft Jeremy Lamb.
Amnesty Amir and give his minutes to Ed Davis
Resign Gray

Dragic, Calderon Forbes
Bayless, Lamb, Dragic, Derozen Forbes
Derozen, James Johnson/ Kleiza
Bargs, Ed Davis James Johnson/ Kleiza
Valunc. Bargs Gray Magloire

By starting Dragic and Bayless you have 2 guards who can really create their own shot. They are both very good on ball defenders as well.
Derozen to the 3 spot allows the raps better spacing and puts him a position where he can now use his slashing and speed to better use against slightly bigger and slower 3's. Dragic can guard 2's and Bayless can guard the quicker point guards. Val will make the defence alot better and a 3 post rotation of Val, bargs and Davis can develop together with Gray backing them up in case of foul trouble.

Davis needs to be given the shot to play around 30 minutes.

I would absolutely love a second unit line-up of Calderon, Lamb, James Johnson, Kleiza and Davis. Johnson and Kleiza are versatile defenders who can swing back and forth between the 3 and 4. Johnson can even take on the 2 guards.

Calderon will be back to leading the second unit and not being exposed by quicker guards. It will also make things competitive as they would have a bunch of guys capable of closing games and nice options for Casey to mix and match and play offence defence to end games.
The raps have alot of options to play big, dragic, derozen, james Johnson, bargs and val or small with Calderon, lamb, derozen, james johnson and bargs.

See how this team develops and make decisions on Derozen and Calderon next off-season. Thoughts?

I think by drafting Lamb and bringin in Dragic there will be a nice healthy competition between players, yet opportunity for players to develop.

The only thing that worries me is if Bayless would fit with this team or if the raps would be too small starting dragic, bayless and derozen. You simply can't have Calderon and Bayless on the floor together, too small. If you bring in Dragic, I think he is clearly your starter and jose is professional enough to come off the bench. A point guard combo of jose and dragic is very good with the ability to play bayless there in case of injuries.

I don't worry about losing Amir too much, as both James Johnson and Kleiza can play the back-up 4. Gotta get minutes for Davis and see what he's got.

Bargs 34 minutes, Davis 30 minutes and Val 30 minutes would be perfect for their development.
barkleynash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:30 PM   #2
bada bing
College star

Default Re: New look raptors

how are these the new look raptors when the core of bargnani,calderon and derozan is staying the same? You are adding pieces around the trio and expecting major improvements. We are assuming Val will be a superstar in this league if we think the trio + Val is going to bring dramatic improvements.

Last edited by bada bing : 05-15-2012 at 03:32 PM.
bada bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:47 PM   #3
barkleynash
Local High School Star

Yeah, maybe new look raptors isn't exactly the right title for the thread.
New in that they have three new rotation players in lamb and Val and Dragic,
plus new expanded roles for bayless and Ed Davis.

That seems like kind of a new look to me.
Ideally, they can't have calderon, bargs and derozen starting.
Jose is the only 1 of those 3 capable of coming off then bench without an issue to his ego. Derozen and Bargs deserve one more year to show what they can do with some better players with them.
I am quite intrigued by what the raps would look like.
They really only have 2 guys that can't shoot the ball very well, derozen and James Johnson. But they are very good slashers.

I have no problem if this team misses the playoffs as long as they make a marked improvement over last year's season in which there were many positives, especially defence and a mini breakthrough from Bargs
another nice draft pick to add to that core would do nothing but help the rebuilding process
If I am colangelo, my number 1 free agent option would be dragic, nash and then lin. In that order. If Nash comes in, then we would have to definately trade Jose out, as they are both sub par defenders.

Last edited by barkleynash : 05-15-2012 at 03:50 PM.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:47 PM   #4
bluerap
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkleynash
Sign Dragic, move derozen to 3.
Draft Jeremy Lamb.
Amnesty Amir and give his minutes to Ed Davis
Resign Gray

Dragic, Calderon Forbes
Bayless, Lamb, Dragic, Derozen Forbes
Derozen, James Johnson/ Kleiza
Bargs, Ed Davis James Johnson/ Kleiza
Valunc. Bargs Gray Magloire

By starting Dragic and Bayless you have 2 guards who can really create their own shot. They are both very good on ball defenders as well.
Derozen to the 3 spot allows the raps better spacing and puts him a position where he can now use his slashing and speed to better use against slightly bigger and slower 3's. Dragic can guard 2's and Bayless can guard the quicker point guards. Val will make the defence alot better and a 3 post rotation of Val, bargs and Davis can develop together with Gray backing them up in case of foul trouble.

Davis needs to be given the shot to play around 30 minutes.

I would absolutely love a second unit line-up of Calderon, Lamb, James Johnson, Kleiza and Davis. Johnson and Kleiza are versatile defenders who can swing back and forth between the 3 and 4. Johnson can even take on the 2 guards.

Calderon will be back to leading the second unit and not being exposed by quicker guards. It will also make things competitive as they would have a bunch of guys capable of closing games and nice options for Casey to mix and match and play offence defence to end games.
The raps have alot of options to play big, dragic, derozen, james Johnson, bargs and val or small with Calderon, lamb, derozen, james johnson and bargs.

See how this team develops and make decisions on Derozen and Calderon next off-season. Thoughts?

I think by drafting Lamb and bringin in Dragic there will be a nice healthy competition between players, yet opportunity for players to develop.

The only thing that worries me is if Bayless would fit with this team or if the raps would be too small starting dragic, bayless and derozen. You simply can't have Calderon and Bayless on the floor together, too small. If you bring in Dragic, I think he is clearly your starter and jose is professional enough to come off the bench. A point guard combo of jose and dragic is very good with the ability to play bayless there in case of injuries.

I don't worry about losing Amir too much, as both James Johnson and Kleiza can play the back-up 4. Gotta get minutes for Davis and see what he's got.

Bargs 34 minutes, Davis 30 minutes and Val 30 minutes would be perfect for their development.

I don't mind these moves but there is no reason to amnesty Amir.
Why pay him not to play? In this scenario we aren't using the money saved from his deal to add a piece.

If we draft Lamb (or Beal if the lottery god's are kind) I would look to trade Demar. Maybe not this year, but definitely next. I don't like the idea of demar playing the 3. He will get torched by bigger forwards.
bluerap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:54 PM   #5
barkleynash
Local High School Star

Exclamation Re: New look raptors

Blue Rap, I do like Amir as well, but just don't see how coach casey can keep all those 4 posts happy and give them floor time to develop. If we want Davis to resign here in Toronto, the chances of him doing that in a 4 post system where he is getting inconsistent minutes is not good. From what people say, they see Davis as more or a future player here in Toronto than they see Amir. Amir is older, has a hard to trade contract. He is professional, but would he be happy with 18 minutes a night.
Bargs 32, Valun. 26, Davis 20, Amir 18

For depth and a real true playoff push I agree with you here that keeping all 4 makes them better, but it may not help them develop fully or keep them all happy.

I really like lamb and if he develops in his rookie year then they may well trade Derozen anyway. Preferably for a 3 man.

How bout tyreke for Derozen. Tyreke can play the 3 for us and Derozen can play the 2 for Sacramento. I agree he will get abused by big 3's, but was hoping that the addition of Val will help protect him a little bit.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:09 PM   #6
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Unless Tyreke is a gigantic locker-room problem and has tons of "character issues" I don't see why Sac would trade him straight-up for an inferior player at the same position like Derozan. And if he is, then I don't see the Raptors pursuing him. I'd love it because on talent alone, Tyreke is simply a much better basketball player.

As for those lineups? It doesn't really matter. Most of those players would irrelevant to the Raptors future if/when they become a contending team. Valanciunas, the draft pick (Lamb in your scenario) and Dragic are the only good long-term pieces. Unfortunately, none of them are All-Star caliber players although we all hope Valanciunas and that draft pick may turn out to be that.

Basically, it's still a very weak core unless those two pieces exceed expectations.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:30 PM   #7
Prodigy
Diaw Fan

Yeah I'm not sure about Demar playing the 3....
Prodigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:53 AM   #8
Sekman
Great young streetballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy
Yeah I'm not sure about Demar playing the 3....

yeah.. getting torched is right coz i dun think he can defend any of the starting SF in the league...

MIA - Lebron
NYK - Camelo
BOS - Pierce
IND - Granger
CHI - Deng
CHA - Maggette
PHI - Young
DET - Prince
ORL - Turks
ATL - Marv Wil
MIL - Cap Jack
NJN - Brooks
WAS - Lewis/Booker

Just looking at the East SF, I don't think there is any single one that Demar can defend...
Sekman is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: