Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Chuck Hayes Stan Timmy D for MVP's Avatar

Default Re: ever use the finger roll or sky hook ?

My left hand is considerably weaker than my right. And for some reason when I took time to figure it out I had much more success rolling it instead of laying it up.

So now I use rolls and scoops almost exclusively on my left hand.

So I think I've finally gotten a hang of the sky hook... and boy is that move ridiculously unstoppable once you understand how it works and feel confident with yourself making it.

A lot of it depends on balance, if you can easily do a Dirk leg and other "acrobatic" shots you're one step closer to the real sky hook. Having a good grip on the ball matters, as does follow through. Another thing I've noticed is that it's easier in motion, after a fake or a dribble (doing it from a stand still position in the post requires a lot of skill).

Banned

For a great finger roll to be used efficiently to score, it needs to be like Gervin's;

Goes like 2-3 feet in the air to go 'over' the defender's hands. Iceman used it to great effect.

Quote Originally Posted by BoutPractice
    So I think I've finally gotten a hang of the sky hook... and boy is that move ridiculously unstoppable once you understand how it works and feel confident with yourself making it.

A lot of it depends on balance, if you can easily do a Dirk leg and other "acrobatic" shots you're one step closer to the real sky hook. Having a good grip on the ball matters, as does follow through. Another thing I've noticed is that it's easier in motion, after a fake or a dribble (doing it from a stand still position in the post requires a lot of skill).
    It's hard to use without big hands too. I needed to practice the rhythm so it would probably go off my hands instead of roll off and slice off sideways.

I don't skyhook, though. Just normal jump hook. My basic post move.

Saw a basketball once

I'd really like to master the Iceman's finger roll cos it looks cool as hell. But HOW do you practice it? it's pretty embarassing cos it airballs if you're flick of the wrist is weak( )
    Man imagine fingerr rolling over the center instead of tear dropping it(which i think looks so awkward)

I jelly that shit OP

Saw a basketball once

finger roll making a comeback! with isaiah washington and the jellyfam!! his jelly is BEAUTIFUL

Made that high school varsity squad JaskoX1's Avatar

Baby Hook

Saw a basketball once

Yes these moves are still used in today's games. The only difference between the moves back in the day and in today's game is most of the players jump a lot higher. A vertical of 32" inches is basically the standard. If you want to reach this point so you can use these moves effectively, especially the sky hook I suggest you look at this article about a jump training program. I will link to it so you can check it out. https://basketballmentality.com/vert-shock-review/

Saw a basketball once

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=15gk5_Yhtnk i love the sky hook �� theres a few in here

Learning to shoot layups

I've not used it yet since I'm still working on my ball-handling and my hand isn't big enough for the ball to roll off, but on the bright side I'm getting better with at least the jumping phase. I usually like to jump high (been getting into jump training alright so I might as well make use of it lol, currently eyeing this program for those interested) to make it an easier shot, so I'll run then jump straight up so I can focus solely on my technique with the roll.

Can't seem to get close to making a hook shot tho

Local High School Star hiphopanonymous's Avatar

I use a much uglier hook than Kareem if I'm in the lane and any kind of hook shot is still effective if you have good timing and touch but timecoded below is the closest hook I've shot to his more specific skyhook, which involves pivoting off just one leg:
    https://youtu.be/1fZPTEf1pf8?t=356

And here's a finger roll below:
    https://youtu.be/1fZPTEf1pf8?t=632

Local High School Star hiphopanonymous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zinger View Post
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=15gk5_Yhtnk i love the sky hook �� theres a few in here
    Nice outlet passes - palming off the dribble must be nice too I don't have the hands for control like that