Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Default Re: Royce White: Releases Statement - Wants Private Bus At Times

he was upfront with his condition from the beginning so houston knew the risks involved. he was taken off many draft boards altogether because of it. who's to say he wasn't trying to work around the whole bus thing but realized he's not ready yet? some days are better than others and it's not something that gets put behind him overnight.

it's better he tells them now than have a panic attack at an airport and miss the game because of it, right? like someone said, it's plausible he freaked out after seeing the schedule. when it comes to these things, it's better to get it over with. otherwise, you just stew over it and let the anxiety fester and grow. the same would apply to media day. just hearing 'media day' would be enough to set someone struggling with anxiety on edge.

the only thing he can really do is keep going to therapy so that he can attack the problem head on and know what to do when he feels an anxiety attack coming on. once he gets over the initial fear, it becomes more and more approachable. for now, it's something both royce and houston have to work with together to see success...and they both knew this.

this is going to be a process but i'm pulling for him.
    Last edited by blacknapalm; 10-05-2012 at 01:21 AM.

If i had depression, Million Dollar paychecks would make my depression go away instantly.

Last edited by DixieNourmous; 10-05-2012 at 01:17 AM.

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

Just the amount of separation from his team and practices he'd have to miss makes it a nonstarter. There's like 4 cities a bus trip from Dallas makes any kind of sense for. What's he going to do when Houston's in LA then Portland the next night then Utah two days after that or something?

The dude went and hid in his coach's office at a year end awards banquet which is obviously full of nothing but people that adore the guy and he still couldn't face them. I hope he can get past it, but he's in the wrong career path.

Xanax.

Next?

Quote Originally Posted by LosBulls
    He needs to smoke some weed before every flight. I bet it would solve his problem.

Petition for the NBA to legalize weed for him plz.
    I can tell you haven't smoked weed before..

You really think that'll calm him down? Weed makes you paranoid bro, try smoking weed before going on a rollercoaster and tell me if you suddenly grow a pair of baIIs

Not sure why Im doing this, but I guess this is to stand up for a guy who I know first hand what he's going through. In saying that, I dont have the pressure of playing in the NBA, but Im telling you for real, this guy is one brave Mofo for even attempting to take on a career in the spotlight like he is. I have Social Disorder, Post Trauma, anxiety, depression, panic attacks etc etc. To explain what its like to have it, is incredibly fustrating at times and you wonder what its like for people around you who dont have to live with so much fear everyday. People around you just ask, what is wrong with this guy, is he weird or something? He looks normal to me, and has no reason to be afraid, why is he scared?

Everyday life is a challenge, I am fearful of so many things, that I forget what its like to be free and have fun. I can for the most part do the normal things like play basketball with my mates, small normal things everyone else does etc and I do have moments where I come out of it, like I can deal with my close group of friends, or one on one interaction. I avoid potential moments of embarassment, like ill avoid group parties, or social events(unless i get drunk) and I sure as hell couldn't public speak, so most of my interaction is with one or 2 people at a time.

I have a girlfriend that encourages me, and tries to push me through some smaller fears, however I am afraid of marrying her or going to a BBQ with her family and friends for example, as I am susceptable to a panic attack. I feel helpless that I cant do that for her, but at the same time I do understand the world does not understand these type of things-except for others who have the same condition.

Going back to what Royce White is facing, I couldnt imagine ever facing what he's about to face. But I take my hat off to the guy for at least trying. Being in the spotlight and public speaking, which he will have to do. What Id suggest would be 1 guy in the Rockets team to take him under his wing, and make him real welcome and be by his side, to face people and whatever he will have to do. I used sport as a way of feeling accepted, so I was able to play without fear of outside influences, as I was good at it. Unfortunately, that only works in that area for me, so I guess on court he will be fine, its when he comes off the court that he will feel the pressure.

Good Luck to you Royce, Im a fan of yours already

Future D1 Dad

Actually its the opposite. Its better for him to come out and say it and to actually look for help instead of having a guy play through with it and then suddenly exploding.
    yeah but it looks like it might be a bit too much for a team to deal with. what about back to back games too far apart to take a bus? i really feel for the kid but it doesn't look good.

Quote Originally Posted by jbot
    yeah but it looks like it might be a bit too much for a team to deal with. what about back to back games too far apart to take a bus? i really feel for the kid but it doesn't look good.
    I think once he gets to know the other players, through playing games, practice etc he will be fine...I think what he is afraid of is the initial meeting part, and his teammates accepting him etc.

He needs to smoke some weed before every flight. I bet it would solve his problem.

Petition for the NBA to legalize weed for him plz.
    if i'm not driving i get really car sick on any drive longer than 30 minutes unless i blaze up beforehand

so thumbs up to that idea

I wish that more people (who had this problem) understood that it is a behavioral disorder. It's not a "disease" as some people have described it as and it's very correctable. I'm living proof of that. Having said that, as others have said it takes major guts for a guy with this problem to choose a career like playing in the NBA. A career that involves frequent flights, a lot of media obligations, playing in front of thousands of fans, tremendous training schedule and pressures of winning, etc...I don't know whether he will succeed in doing all this but I do know I have an ultimate amount of respect for him for not giving up on his dream.

The bus thing isn't a solution, it's a way to avoid facing the problem.

He Is I and I Am Him Wavy Crockett's Avatar

How was he traveling far distances in college?

Quote Originally Posted by niko
    The bus thing isn't a solution, it's a way to avoid facing the problem.
    but he's still going to be flying to most games. he's just taking a bus in driveable situations. when someone is suffering from anxiety, you want to gradually expose them to their stressor/trigger, not immerse them with no escape.

i don't know if that will work but i can see how it's an early sensible plan. as he gets more used to flying, he should be able to ditch the bus. i'm guessing that's the end goal here. it'll be interesting how this unfolds or if he'll go MIA again later in the season.

as far as the college distance thing, i know he drove with his grandpa from ames to louisville for the tourney. that's like 650+ miles...

Quote Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
    Just the amount of separation from his team and practices he'd have to miss makes it a nonstarter. There's like 4 cities a bus trip from Dallas makes any kind of sense for. What's he going to do when Houston's in LA then Portland the next night then Utah two days after that or something
    is he definitely not flying at all?

i think he plans on just using the bus, when its possible, not that he is only gonna play games he can drive to.

I don't understand why he doesn't take medication for it. If he does, why isn't it working? Someone told me that the medication messes his focus up. That sounds like bullshit. I've taken anxiety medication before and it did not affect my focus. I'm not everyone, but I had no idea that some people can't play basketball on it.