Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Fantasy Basketball Forum

Fantasy Basketball Forum Fantasy basketball message board - fantasy basketball forum

Old 11-23-2008, 12:14 PM   #1
intrinsic
Local High School Star

intrinsic has a terrific reputationintrinsic has a terrific reputationintrinsic has a terrific reputationintrinsic has a terrific reputationintrinsic has a terrific reputation
Default evaluation and assistance

background: Novice fantasy manger, semi-competitive league, 12 teams, No cap on roster moves. (all other managers are known entities. No threat of collusion or unfair advantage/rapid cycling rosters)

Roster: PG SG G SF PF F C C UTIL UTIL BN(x8)
H2H
Scoring: FT% FG% #3ptm PTS REB AST STL BLK TO

My team is floating around the middle of the league @ 20-16 (counting week ending Sunday evening)

Current Roster
  • Randy Foye(Min - PG,SG)
  • John Salmons(Sac - SG,SF)
  • Daniel Gibson(Cle - PG,SG)
  • Ron Artest(Hou - SF,PF)
  • Kenyon Martin(Den - PF)
  • Wilson Chandler(NY - SG,SF,PF)
  • Chris Kaman(LAC - C)
  • Kendrick Perkins(Bos - C)
  • Luol Deng(Chi - SG,SF) INJ
  • Louis Williams(Phi - PG,SG)
  • Tim Thomas(NY - SF,PF)
  • T.J. Ford(Ind - PG)
  • Dwyane Wade(Mia - PG,SG)
  • Mehmet Okur(Uta - PF,C)
  • Yao Ming(Hou - C)
  • James Posey(NO - SG,SF)
  • Empty

This team doesn't excel at anything except maybe, shot blocking?

Are there any immediate moves I should look at?

The quality of the waiver wire: K. Hinrich, J. Farmar, M. Webster, J. Boone, M. Evans, A. Blatche

Any advice/tips would be appreciated
intrinsic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 02:51 PM   #2
benJAMin
Slap 'em with silence

benJAMin has decent reputationbenJAMin has decent reputation
Default Re: evaluation and assistance

So starting lineup is
Wade
Salmons
Ford
Deng
Artest
Okur
Kaman
Yao
Chandler
Kenyon

You're right about being average in just about everything. It looks like you've got:
good %s and blocks,
steals, boards, steals and scoring are ok,
threes and TOs are weak.

In h2h you need to tank a category or two and build up the others to guarantee wins each week. Having Wade means you're tanking TOs, and only Artest and Salmons get threes for you, so that's what I'd look to tank.

You've got great depth for a league with that many players on each roster, so look to make some 2for1 deals that'll strengthen your starting lineup and match your needs. Someone like Rose, Roy, Harris etc would get you assists and steals without a lot of threes, so they'd be a great fit for your team. Target guys that fit your needs and deal the guys that dont in packages.
benJAMin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 11:19 AM   #3
intrinsic
Local High School Star

intrinsic has a terrific reputationintrinsic has a terrific reputationintrinsic has a terrific reputationintrinsic has a terrific reputationintrinsic has a terrific reputation

Thank you. This is precisely the type of response I was looking for. Pointing me in the right direction with player suggestions as potential targets in trade with a defined strategy.

What are your thoughts on Artest? If, as you suggest, 3ptm is the cat I should ignore after TO, is he the best candidate for trade? Are you expecting his %'s to improve as the season progresses?

Concerning the players you suggested:
Would a Salmons for Derrick Rose be an upgrade here?
The owner with Roy also has Al Thornton, so an offer of Artest + Posey would be a good place to start, correct? I can always add another part to the deal (whereas 3 for 2 would end up being the same as a 2 for 1).
Old 11-24-2008, 11:49 AM   #4
benJAMin
Slap 'em with silence

Quote:
Originally Posted by intrinsic
Thank you. This is precisely the type of response I was looking for. Pointing me in the right direction with player suggestions as potential targets in trade with a defined strategy.

What are your thoughts on Artest? If, as you suggest, 3ptm is the cat I should ignore after TO, is he the best candidate for trade? Are you expecting his %'s to improve as the season progresses?

Concerning the players you suggested:
Would a Salmons for Derrick Rose be an upgrade here?
The owner with Roy also has Al Thornton, so an offer of Artest + Posey would be a good place to start, correct? I can always add another part to the deal (whereas 3 for 2 would end up being the same as a 2 for 1).

If you can get Rose for Salmons, I'd do it all day. Salmons only stands to lose ground when the Kings get healthy, whereas the sky is the limit for Rose's mins and opportunity.

I agree with your thoughts on Artest, but you'll need to get someone that scores and steals as much as he does. He's a big part of your steals, and I imagine you'd take a big hit without him there. His % will get better, but probably not by a ton. I'd agree with the Roy and Thornton deal as well, just make sure you're getting steals back. Making this move would however affect your lineup, since Posey wasnt a starter to begin with, so you need to weigh that too.

Someone cheap that could help might be Ronnie Brewer, with good fg%, decent scoring, plenty of steals, although ft% is weak.

List more FAs based on current rankings.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:20 PM   #5
intrinsic
Local High School Star

50 FA's ordered by current rankings.
(sorry I cut off the cat. headings. After the o-rank and rank is %owned, GP, fg%, FT % & the last 7 are as follows 3ptm, pts, reb, ast, stl, blk, TO)

Old 11-24-2008, 01:38 PM   #6
benJAMin
Slap 'em with silence

I guess I'd add Brandan Wright for now.
Old 11-24-2008, 02:29 PM   #7
Seņor Cedric
why live??

Seņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I wish you were in my league.............

Seņor Cedric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 02:43 PM   #8
statman32
NBA Legend

statman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I wish you were in my league Ced.

statman32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 02:44 PM   #9
Seņor Cedric
why live??

Seņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

4 team league? LOL

Plus my Durant is better than your Durant.
Seņor Cedric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 05:14 PM   #10
intrinsic
Local High School Star

Brandan Wright addition, completed.
So, the Rose offer was not received well (Owner is a Bulls fan and unwilling to part with that piece).

Another proposal appeared this afternoon: David West + Conley for Salmons + Wilson Chandler. There was a note to this trade with a list of acceptable substitutes for Chandler. (Artest, TJ Ford, Okur).

I don't like this trade as it is, but there might be something to make it work? I'll post the other manager's roster when I get home this evening; unless, you all feel i shouldn't be interested in such a deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seņor Cedric
I wish you were in my league.............

Why? I recognize that I'm not the greatest manager in fantasy nba, but I'm trying to be as competitive as possible
Old 11-24-2008, 06:37 PM   #11
benJAMin
Slap 'em with silence

Quote:
Brandan Wright addition, completed.
So, the Rose offer was not received well (Owner is a Bulls fan and unwilling to part with that piece).

Another proposal appeared this afternoon: David West + Conley for Salmons + Wilson Chandler. There was a note to this trade with a list of acceptable substitutes for Chandler. (Artest, TJ Ford, Okur).

I don't like this trade as it is, but there might be something to make it work? I'll post the other manager's roster when I get home this evening; unless, you all feel i shouldn't be interested in such a deal.

Damn, I love that deal. Salmons only figures to lose numbers once KevMart and Garcia come back, and there's no guarantee that Chandler continues to play at this level or get these mins with all the moves the Knicks have made. I'd recommend adding Okur to the deal instead of Chandler myself, but absolutely would not add Artest or Ford. If Conley pans out over the course of the season you win even more.

West adds boards, blocks, points and fg% with great ft% as well. You're getting West very cheap here, and if you absolutely hate him on your team, he can be much stronger trade bait that Salmons and Okur would be down the road. If its me, I take West and Conley for Salmons and Okur all day. You're getting the best player and still adding a starter to your lineup, meaning you gain depth as well.

If you're not feeling Conley, who else would you add to the deal? I cant imagine you can add much more and still get it done.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:58 PM   #12
intrinsic
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by benJAMin
Damn, I love that deal. Salmons only figures to lose numbers once KevMart and Garcia come back, and there's no guarantee that Chandler continues to play at this level or get these mins with all the moves the Knicks have made. I'd recommend adding Okur to the deal instead of Chandler myself, but absolutely would not add Artest or Ford. If Conley pans out over the course of the season you win even more.

West adds boards, blocks, points and fg% with great ft% as well. You're getting West very cheap here, and if you absolutely hate him on your team, he can be much stronger trade bait that Salmons and Okur would be down the road. If its me, I take West and Conley for Salmons and Okur all day. You're getting the best player and still adding a starter to your lineup, meaning you gain depth as well.

If you're not feeling Conley, who else would you add to the deal? I cant imagine you can add much more and still get it done.

The hesitation isn't about Conley. There were two other factors.

First, which of my players would have the lowest cost for me to lose? You've already addressed that in the previous response(Okur).
Second, the other manager's roster has a glut of PF's (Boozer, Z. Randolph, Horford, Haslem, Okafor, Scola, West*). My thinking was to propose a deal involving Boozer. I know he's battling injury at the moment though.

Considering your approval of the deal involving West, I think I'm going to go ahead and follow through with that one instead of playing around with negotiations.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:19 AM   #13
benJAMin
Slap 'em with silence

Quote:
The hesitation isn't about Conley. There were two other factors.

First, which of my players would have the lowest cost for me to lose? You've already addressed that in the previous response(Okur).
Second, the other manager's roster has a glut of PF's (Boozer, Z. Randolph, Horford, Haslem, Okafor, Scola, West*). My thinking was to propose a deal involving Boozer. I know he's battling injury at the moment though.

Considering your approval of the deal involving West, I think I'm going to go ahead and follow through with that one instead of playing around with negotiations.

Maybe if you change the deal to Okur and Salmons for Horford and West you'd like it better? Or even put Chandler back in the deal if that's who he's really interested in and get Horford back.

You can always sub out West for Boozer, but I'd think that would make the deal harder for you to get.

Like you said, playing with negotiations could get you more, or is could lead to the deal being closed down all together if West keeps playing well.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: