Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-09-2009, 04:14 PM   #1
Jumpshot Virus
Banned

Jumpshot Virus has an OK reputation so far
Default Better year for hip-hop, 2003 or 2005?

There's no reasoning for the selection of these two years in hip-hop music. Just randomly selected them and wanted to get some good discussion going. I'm not going to break out my entire music collection / downloads and list every single noteworthy album / track for each year, but I'll throw some ish out there for each year to get us started.

Debut (commercial ie: 50 Cent & TI) albums & artists from: 50 Cent - Get Rich or Die Tryin', T.I. - Trap Muzik, Freeway, Joe Budden, Bone Crusher, Chingy, Killer Mike, David Banner, Lyrics Born, Nick Cannon, etc. I'm sure I'm missing a few.

A lot of bullshit was released in 2003 (see most of the debuts above), and not just commercially either; I'm talking about garbage like Prince Paul's Politics of the Business, PMD's Awakening, Kool Keith's The Lost Masters, Atmosphere's Seven's Travels (garbage, along with anything else released by Atmosphere), etc. How about Keith Murray's return huh? He's Keith Murray! Straight up enhanced garbage. Lot's of bullshit in the 03.

It wasn't all bad. Speakerboxxx / Love Below was not a classic like some would like to argue, but it was decent. The Black Album was fire even though it was a late 2003 release. Most rap fans labeled DMX's Grand Champ trash, whereas I found it his second best release behind his debut album. Grand Champ was nice IMO. Remember Canibus' Rip the Jacker? Easily his best album (thanks to Stoupe's production), and raw as fuck. Gang Starr's The Owners was good, but nothing special either. This was also the year MF released Viktor Vaugh, Immortal Technique dropped RV2 and of course Little Brother's The Listening.

You could make a case that despite all the garbage that entered the realm of rap in 2003 that still overall it was a good year, especially if you add some of the more underrated / underappreciated albums such as Jeru's Divine Design, Jedi Mind Tricks Visions of Gandhi, Killah Priest's Black August, Louis Logic's Sin-A-Matic and the unknown yet incredible album (IMO) Ugly Duckling's Taste the Secret.

Debuts from the new "West Coast King" The Game, and ATL's Young Jeezy, but 2005 was a megaplex for Houston rappers, as Mike Jones, Slim Thug, Chamillionaire & Paul Wall. Sound of Revenge was hot for a minute, and I thought Paul Wall's album People's Champ was worthy of its platinum status. I'm not too crazy about Slim Thug, but I'll admit Already Platinum was a good album. Mike Jones... the Cuddy Buddy mofo... phuck off.

This was also the year of 50's sophomore album, The Massacre which was blah minus Ski Mask Way. Wu Tang dropped Think Differently, LOL. Lil Kim's album got 5 mics in The Source, LMAO. Carter II dropped, and forced me to actually consider Wizzy a talented artist. The most overrated album ever, Common's Be. Kanye's Late Registration was good. Buckshot hooked up with 9th Wonder. Wait, are we missing something, oh yeah Juelz's What the Game’s Been Missing FTL!

Danger Doom was probably the best album of 2005 IMO. An album that will stand the test of time.

I was disappointed with the album Muggs and GZA put out (Grandmasters). A Healthy Distrust from Sage Francis was surprisingly good. Sadat X's Experience & Education is the best rap album of 2005 that no one's heard yet. Fat Joe's All or Nothing was a good album despite the criticism. Canibus put out Mind Control, back to his old self again with rubbish production values, and despite popular belief, Cage's Hell's Winter was trash too.

_____

I'm sure I'm missing a ton of music that was put out in 2003 and 2005, so add to what I've already listed.

Honestly, I can't decide which year was better (or worst!).

Jumpshot Virus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 04:31 PM   #2
miller-time
NBA sixth man of the year

miller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Better year for hip-hop, 2003 or 2005?

probably 2003. all i can remember from 04/05 is lil jon shouting nonsense on every song.
miller-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 04:31 PM   #3
hito da god
look that way >>>>

hito da god is a pretty well-respected posterhito da god is a pretty well-respected posterhito da god is a pretty well-respected posterhito da god is a pretty well-respected poster

'get rich or die tryin' was fantastic. 'trap muzik' was great and launched the career of a superstar who has given us great music since. 'speakerboxxx/love below' i thought was amazing as well. freeway's debut was dope and black album was great. can't remember much from that year off the top of my head.

the only real notable releases of 2005 were 'carter II', 'late registration', and 'we got it 4 cheap vol. 2'.
hito da god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 05:33 PM   #4
crounsa810
National High School Star

crounsa810 is a pretty well-respected postercrounsa810 is a pretty well-respected postercrounsa810 is a pretty well-respected postercrounsa810 is a pretty well-respected poster

1977. Hip hop was born. Can't top that.
crounsa810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 07:42 PM   #5
Don't Stop Believing!!

3.2.1. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster3.2.1. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster3.2.1. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster3.2.1. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster3.2.1. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster3.2.1. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster3.2.1. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster3.2.1. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

2003, Get Rich Or Die Tryin'=GOAT
3.2.1. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 08:22 PM   #6
Vragrant

Vragrant is considered somewhat coolVragrant is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpshot Virus

Buckshot hooked up with 9th Wonder. :

I think you might be talking about Buckshot and Sean Price. And yes, that album was amazing.
Vragrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 08:37 PM   #7
playtetris
soundcloud->solarcism

playtetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplaytetris is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

2003, quite easily.

releases i enjoyed immensely from that year:

- 'the listening': phonte's verse in 'whatever you say' really stands out. this album remains their masterpiece.
- sean price 'monkey barz': i read somewhere that sean p dropped shrooms before recording 'onion head'... kinda makes sense when you think about it.
- cunninlynguists 'southernunderground': 'seasons' is great. hell, the whole album is dope.
- 'vaudeville villain': one of my favourite doom joints. i actually slept on it for a while, but rediscovered it recently in a big way.
- 'speakerboxxx/the love below': a lot of people thought dre sold out with this album. i have to question the logic in that statement. 'hey ya' sounded nothing like anything in the charts when that album was released.
playtetris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 09:01 PM   #8
Jumpshot Virus
Banned

Jumpshot Virus has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vragrant
I think you might be talking about Buckshot and Sean Price. And yes, that album was amazing.

I'm talking about Chemistry. Are you talking about Monkey Barz?
Jumpshot Virus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 09:14 PM   #9
Vragrant

Vragrant is considered somewhat coolVragrant is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpshot Virus
I'm talking about Chemistry. Are you talking about Monkey Barz?

Yeah Monkey Barz, I thought that came out back in '05, but I could be wrong though........
Vragrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 09:16 PM   #10
BlazersDozen
NBA lottery pick

BlazersDozen is considered somewhat coolBlazersDozen is considered somewhat coolBlazersDozen is considered somewhat cool

Most def 2003. I hated Mike Jones, Paul Wall, Lil Jon, Ying Yang Twins and all that. The best commercial thing in 2005 was Tha Carter II. If Lil Wayne made every song like he does with 3 Peat, Fly In and Fly Out then I would have no problem calling him the best rapper alive.
BlazersDozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 01:33 AM   #11
JayGuevara
Hellbound

JayGuevara is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJayGuevara is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJayGuevara is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJayGuevara is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJayGuevara is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJayGuevara is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJayGuevara is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJayGuevara is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJayGuevara is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I really don't remember when most things came out, but I do know that Trap Muzik was the truth when it came out. Did the first Carter come out in 03? That was the last Lil Wayne I was bangin, and that was my **** too.
JayGuevara is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: