Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Colorado boy facing felony charges in airsoft gun mishap

Wait so... who called the police? Why was the police involved in a simple airgun accident?

Also,

They look at school records, and juvenile experts evaluate the child and bring up any psychological or mental health issues.
    I wonder what his records look like. Why would the DA act irrationally without anything to back it up? What's his motive?

Quote Originally Posted by Rasheed1
    I think me & Kent ATm spoke about a similar issue a year or so ago... I said it then and I'll say it again...

POLICE STATE

that's what this place is turning into
    I hear Cairo is nice this time of year.

코비=GOAT

Quote Originally Posted by AirTupac
    What a joke. It's a simple accident and everything is fine between them...
    A simple accident? He got mad and shot his friend in the face...

코비=GOAT

[QUOTE=JMT]You highlighted much of the article, but didn't include this:

[B][I]When the other boy said something that made Jacob mad, he did what he calls a

Quote Originally Posted by shlver
    A simple accident? He got mad and shot his friend in the face...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DVfMqhOeKk

That should be the solution.

But yeah i reread and the kid should have some consequences but not a felony,

Quote Originally Posted by JMT
    I hear Cairo is nice this time of year.

maybe Americans like to see kids getting arrested over something petty like this.. I Thought this was the land of the free and home of the brave.... my mistake...

maybe Americans like to see kids getting arrested over something petty like this.. I Thought this was the land of the free and home of the brave.... my mistake...

Granted, the big picture...couple kids screwing around, airgun, bygones be bygones...looks pretty silly. That's exactly why reporters look for stories like this. They generate talk.

But the relevant fact is that the kid got mad...by his own admission...turned and shot his friend in the face.

That's a bad way to approach problem solving and anger management. The article alludes to the fact that the courts have discretion when a kids body of work (school records, etc) merit.

We don't know anything about the kid other than what's in the story. The courts do. There's no political hay to be made by bringing a good kid who got in an accident up on charges. But it wasn't an accident. He executed his 'move'...the rapid gunfiring move that he's given a name to...and pulled a trigger.

I'd much rather address this kids lousy temper and decision making now than later, when maybe there's more than an airgun involved.

Land of the free and home of the brave is a nice platitude, but it has absolutely no relevance to the situation.

Granted, the big picture...couple kids screwing around, airgun, bygones be bygones...looks pretty silly. That's exactly why reporters look for stories like this. They generate talk.

But the relevant fact is that the kid got mad...by his own admission...turned and shot his friend in the face.

That's a bad way to approach problem solving and anger management. The article alludes to the fact that the courts have discretion when a kids body of work (school records, etc) merit.

We don't know anything about the kid other than what's in the story. The courts do. There's no political hay to be made by bringing a good kid who got in an accident up on charges. But it wasn't an accident. He executed his 'move'...the rapid gunfiring move that he's given a name to...and pulled a trigger.

I'd much rather address this kids lousy temper and decision making now than later, when maybe there's more than an airgun involved.

Land of the free and home of the brave is a nice platitude, but it has absolutely no relevance to the situation.
    The kid said he shot at his friend. Not that he aimed at his face. He didn't intend on taking his friend's eye out. If you're gonna waste time and money prosecuting a child over a toy gun incident, you had better bring intent into the situation. You're telling me it's not ludicrous to charge a child with a felony for accidently shooting his friend in the eye with a toy gun? lol

All my friends would have felonies for the things we did to each other out of spite, jealousy, retaliation, etc......instead we don't have records and are living normal, successful lives. The things I could have been charged for when I was a kid if crackpot DA's existed where I live.

There has to be an end game with these sort of charges. So I ask you, what is this gonna do? Stop kids from getting angry? Stop kids from horsing around? More like kids are gonna think "Wow, that kid went to juve for shooting a toy gun?.......hey, you wanna play with fire crackers?"

But hey, all in the name of the kid's own well being, eh? I'm sure he will be thanking the system when he grows up *rolls eyes*
    Last edited by Dolphin; 02-02-2011 at 05:06 PM.

코비=GOAT

Petty? He shot his friend in the face in anger... Worst case scenario he could have been blinded. You wouldnt say that shooting someone in the face with a bb gun was petty if the kid was blinded.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolphin
    The kid said he shot at his friend. Not that he aimed at his face. He didn't intend on taking his friend's eye out. If you're gonna waste time and money prosecuting a child over a toy gun incident, you had better bring intent into the situation. You're telling me it's not ludicrous to charge a child with a felony for accidently shooting his friend in the eye with a toy gun? lol

All my friends would have felonies for the things we did to each other out of spite, jealousy, retaliation, etc......instead we don't have records and are living normal, successful lives. The things I could have been charged for when I was a kid if crackpot DA's existed where I live.
    You're right. When someone ends up in court for shooting someone, we should first ask them "where on the person you shot at did you intend for the bullet to hit?" or "did you intend to kill them?".

Their answers would no doubt ease many of the problems we have with overcrowded courts and prison systems.

I don't doubt that you look back fondly at all the wacky stuff you and your friends did. Your thought process seems pretty immature.
    Last edited by JMT; 02-02-2011 at 05:09 PM.

I understand the concerns...... I think you can address the kid's concerns without unnecessarily introducing him to the criminal justice system at a young age over something like that. that can be handled without police lawyers and judges...

kids grew up for years and had bb guns and all types of sh*t and we never needed the cops to handle this stuff before...

I think we have a hyper punitive society... People are getting carried away with wanting everyone punished for every little thing that happens..

Point being.... the police and the criminal justice system isnt needed to mediate this dispute

You're right. When someone ends up in court for shooting someone, we should first ask them "where on the person you shot at did you intend for the bullet to hit?" or "did you intend to kill them?".

Their answers would no doubt ease many of the problems we have with overcrowded courts and prison systems.

I don't doubt that you look back fondly at all the wacky stuff you and your friends did. Your thought process seems pretty immature.
    The bullet. Is that what you call the projectiles shot out of a toy gun? lol

Kill. Ya, that word should be brought up here when we're talking about a toy gun.

Apparently you and the DA have a hard time with context. Context means everything when charging a boy with a felony for shooting a toy gun.

What about my thought process was immature? That I'm glad the silly things I did as a kid didn't pointlessly send my to juve? Ya, real immature of me to be thankful for that. Way to go on the logic part here. You should be proud of yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by shlver
    Petty? He shot his friend in the face in anger... Worst case scenario he could have been blinded. You wouldnt say that shooting someone in the face with a bb gun was petty if the kid was blinded.

no I wouldnt call it petty had someone been blinded... but being as though no one was blinded? this is a great opportunity for his parents to pull the kid aside and get after him about his behavior and the fact that someone could have been blinded or seriously hurt.. he is still a minor and this isnt an instance where he needs to go in front of a judge

I just dont see where the cops come in

no I wouldnt call it petty had someone been blinded... but being as though no one was blinded? this is a great opportunity for his parents to pull the kid aside and get after him about his behavior and the fact that someone could have been blinded or seriously hurt.. he is still a minor and this isnt an instance where he needs to go in front of a judge

I just dont see where the cops come in
    But the cops have to come man. Nothing more worthwhile than wasting our money and this kid's time than to put him in juve for NOT blinding his buddy who is still friends with him because everyone BUT the DA realizes it's a non issue. lol

I understand the concerns...... I think you can address the kid's concerns without unnecessarily introducing him to the criminal justice system at a young age over something like that. that can be handled without police lawyers and judges...

kids grew up for years and had bb guns and all types of sh*t and we never needed the cops to handle this stuff before...

I think we have a hyper punitive society... People are getting carried away with wanting everyone punished for every little thing that happens..

Point being.... the police and the criminal justice system isnt needed to mediate this dispute
    On the other hand, we all know or knew kids that have all the earmarks of dangers to society. Too quick to anger, act without thinking, see violent acting out as an answer, etc.

The article talks about how the courts review the kids school behavior, family situation, psychological profile and other factors before deciding whether to press charges. I'm sure this isn't the only instance of a kid shooting another kid with an airsoft gun, but I haven't heard of any of them resulting in charges. It doesn't appear the local DA is recklessly targeting juveniles.

So why this kid? Total random coincidence, or are there behavioral issues that the reporter doesn't go into? It's not even a dispute...the other family didn't press charges...so how do the police and DA come to be in volved?

There's much more to this story that's not in the article. My guess is that's why the authorities got involved, not to unreasonably persecute a good kid.