Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

Default So what if the players threaten to start their own franchise?

I don't understand how the owners can dictate things the way they do. The players are the commodity. And unlike oranges, the players have the ability to make decisions. The fact is the players in all sports don't need the owners to play basketball and get paid for it. They could appoint a new commissioner, and have retired players run franchises. They act like the nba is the only way they can get paid to play.

What do you guys think?

Banned

Default Re: So what if the players threaten to start their own franchise?

Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls
    I don't understand how the owners can dictate things the way they do. The players are the commodity. And unlike oranges, the players have the ability to make decisions. The fact is the players in all sports don't need the owners to play basketball and get paid for it. They could appoint a new commissioner, and have retired players run franchises. They act like the nba is the only way they can get paid to play.

What do you guys think?
    players dont have as much money as the white guys sitting at the top of the NBA and each franchise do.

like chris rock once said

shaq is rich. the white guy that signs his check is wealthy. thats why your proposal cant work

Decent college freshman

They wouldn't have arenas for 1, and the cost of organizing a new league, hiring all the grunt workers, advertising it, etc. would be astronomical.

I guess its a possibility if the owners simply refuse to budge, but both sides stand to gain the most money by working together.

Default Re: So what if the players threaten to start their own league?

Quote Originally Posted by RazorBaLade
    players dont have as much money as the white guys sitting at the top of the NBA and each franchise do.

like chris rock once said

shaq is rich. the white guy that signs his check is wealthy. thats why your proposal cant work
    They don't need capital. They have clout. What tvv network wouldnt be willing to show basketball games featuring the greatest players in the world. All they need is businesses to invest. Then, they can undercut the owners by cutting side deals with the networks and cities and the like. It would take a while to get things up and running, but it can definately be done.

Biased Troll

So what if the players threaten to start their own franchise?

Quote Originally Posted by bmulls
    They wouldn't have arenas for 1, and the cost of organizing a new league, hiring all the grunt workers, advertising it, etc. would be astronomical.

I guess its a possibility if the owners simply refuse to budge, but both sides stand to gain the most money by working together.
    I don't think it'd be hard to find suitable arenas/venues to play in.

Biased Troll

Then, they can undercut the owners by cutting side deals with the networks and cities and the like. It would take a while to get things up and running, but it can definately be done.
    LMFAO

And who is negotiating the deals with TV companies, John Salmons??

Dude, get fukcing real here.

Quote Originally Posted by FourthTenor

I made this thread to show that the players don't need the owners. The players allow the owner to run the league in good faith. These guys money does not dictate lebron james or dwight howards talent.

Quote Originally Posted by FourthTenor
    LMFAO

And who is negotiating the deals with TV companies, John Salmons??

Dude, get fukcing real here.
    No. Think outside the box. The owners don't negotiate the tv deals. They hire lawyers to do that. The players could do the same thing. Think about it.

They don't need capital. They have clout. What tvv network wouldnt be willing to show basketball games featuring the greatest players in the world. All they need is businesses to invest. Then, they can undercut the owners by cutting side deals with the networks and cities and the like. It would take a while to get things up and running, but it can definately be done.
    It isn't as simple as that. For one, how many players would rather just bite the bullet and accept the owner offers instead of starting up a rival league? I can think of many. Second, just because Lebron plays in it doesn't guarantee high ratings. I mean, this year was considered a very high point of the past 10 years, and Lebron has been in it for 8 already. Why hasn't it happened before? It took a monumentally game-changing move (The Decision) to drive popularity upwards. Then you have talent dilution like the ABA-NBA split. Both leagues would be competing for talent, and both leagues would be weaker for it.

Ever read up about the 70's and why they were considered the dark ages of basketball? Well, the pre-merger NBA-ABA split is the reason. We never saw matchups like prime Dr J and John Havlicek because of it.

Ultimately, I think the players realize that it would be too much hard work and uncertainty. These guys aren't business tycoons. They don't know or wouldn't know how to run such a large and complicated machine that costs hundreds of millions. That's way beyond the scale of a simple basketball union. That happens, basketball is way worse off for everyone.

King of Chicago DRoseOwnsACamry's Avatar

When I first read the title, I thought it said "What if players start to threaten their own franchises". In that scenario, there will be no way that the player can win. If AI got banished from the Sixers for refusing to play in a 4th, imagine what would happen if players threaten their own franchises.

Why don't they do it? Can you give me an answer?

I answer it for yourself, one thing is to play around with your money, other thing is to play around with somebody else money.

Nuggets/Avs/Broncos. NuggetsFan's Avatar

So unrealistic. All 300+ players teaming together to make there own league! Do LeBron James and Kobe Bryant decide the teams? What about a guy like Nick Collision? What role does he play in this new league? Does he decide the contracts?. Do they vote on who's the new commish?. Do 1-2 players get this rolling? or is it combined effort. Is the role you play determined by your bank roll and or ability?.

They can get payed. By going to Europe and other places. Established leagues.

If there was some kinda league to replace the NBA it wouldn't be started by the players .

Quote Originally Posted by Collie
    It isn't as simple as that. For one, how many players would rather just bite the bullet and accept the owner offers instead of starting up a rival league? I can think of many. Second, just because Lebron plays in it doesn't guarantee high ratings. I mean, this year was considered a very high point of the past 10 years, and Lebron has been in it for 8 already. Why hasn't it happened before? It took a monumentally game-changing move (The Decision) to drive popularity upwards. Then you have talent dilution like the ABA-NBA split. Both leagues would be competing for talent, and both leagues would be weaker for it.

Ever read about the 70's and why they were considered the dark ages of basketball? Well, the pre-merger NBA-ABA split is the reason. We never saw matchups like prime Dr J and John Havlicek because of it.

Ultimately, I think the players realize that it would be too much hard work and uncertainty. These guys aren't business tycoons. They don't know or wouldn't know how to run such a large and complicated machine that costs hundreds of millions. That's way beyond the scale of a simple basketball union. That happens, basketball is way worse off for everyone.
    Wondering how many players would be willing to jump would be the hardest part of the process. If half the big names decided against it, they woudnt be able to do it. But if they all did. They'd be able to get it off the ground. Obviously this is more of a brain storming session but I don't think it would be nearly as hard to get a league up and running. Especially if the known names willingly come over. Or better yet all the players.

And its obvious the owners wont get into a bidding war with the players cuz at their own admonition, they can't afford to pay the players they have already. Im just trying to show the players don't need the owners.

National High School Star Nevaeh's Avatar

What do you guys think?

Don't know if it would work, but you did just give me a great idea for NBA2k11 (clone each team then give them all new names and uniform colors without any existing NBA teams to be found for the entire season).