Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

Default The Top 10 Claims Made by Creationists to Counter Scientific Theories

http://io9.com/5965884/draft-10-clai...tific-theories

One of the most challenging tasks for the modern day creationist to is reconcile the belief in a 6,000 year old Earth with the ever-growing mountain of scientific evidence pointing to a vastly different conclusion

Default Re: The Top 10 Claims Made by Creationists to Counter Scientific Theories

6. The Second Law of Thermodynamics prohibits evolution
    The second law of thermodynamics states that the universe and all its systems are progressively moving towards disorder, or entropy. Evolution, on the other hand, implies the improvement of a species

the Sho Kosugi of ISH -p.tiddy-'s Avatar

Default Re: The Top 10 Claims Made by Creationists to Counter Scientific Theories

I think that the Christians (it's really Christians this speaks of) that believe or even give thought to this kind of stuff are a VERY small minority of the all Christians...less than 1% (my guess)

It's sad though because the ones that do believe these things give a bad name to the rest of them who are able to come to conclusions with logic...There are plenty of Christian scientists out there...

I know tons of people who church is a very big part of their lives and literally have never heard anyone who believes this crap, or who believes the bible is a literal document, etc. I was told early on in my life the bible was a collection of stories to help teach us how to behave (how god wanted us to behave) and in no way a literal document. Maybe NY is just more modern? because this is not how we are taught...

Quote Originally Posted by niko
    I know tons of people who church is a very big part of their lives and literally have never heard anyone who believes this crap, or who believes the bible is a literal document, etc. I was told early on in my life the bible was a collection of stories to help teach us how to behave (how god wanted us to behave) and in no way a literal document. Maybe NY is just more modern? because this is not how we are taught...
    yes, that's exactly how i learned the bible as a child (In Texas). It was a collection of stories to teach one how to live a good life, not everything was meant to be taken literally.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
    I think that the Christians (it's really Christians this speaks of) that believe or even give thought to this kind of stuff are a VERY small minority of the all Christians...less than 1% (my guess)

It's sad though because the ones that do believe these things give a bad name to the rest of them who are able to come to conclusions with logic...There are plenty of Christian scientists out there...
    Good guess, but no.

More Demographic Breakdown

This is why the U.S. is so low in math/science rankings worldwide and the problem will only get worse unless people stand up against willful ignorance

^^^ Don those 3 options are a VERY far cry from what is listed in the OP

in fact I could see believing "God created humans in present form" as well as evolution at the same time

there is also no information on that poll at all...(how many people voted, where it came from, ages, etc)

also, I'm not sure what any of this has to do with the US being poor at math...

Don, find the "Humans and dinosaurs co-existed" poll

I went to a Catholic school and I once asked my teacher that if God created Adam and Eve, how did they disperse without incest, she told me not to focus on such things

According to creationists, we all are products of inbreeding

Quote Originally Posted by TheMan
    I went to a Catholic school and I once asked my teacher that if God created Adam and Eve, how did they disperse without incest, she told me not to focus on such things

According to creationists, we all are products of inbreeding
    no, most don't believe you are supposed to take that story literally...

it's just all symbolic

the apple stands for temptation

the snake stands for sin

Adam's rib stands for something else forgot

etc
    etc
    etc

I don't think many Christians think that Adam and Eve literally existed and that story actually took place

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
    Don, find the "Humans and dinosaurs co-existed" poll
    Done.

30% of Texans believe dinosaurs and man co-existed

Your state bucks your <1% theory, no?

Quote Originally Posted by DonDadda59
    Done.

30% of Texans believe dinosaurs and man co-existed

Your state bucks your <1% theory, no?
    that is such a BS site lol

in other news on that site

Catholic Church Values Discrimination More Than Unwanted Kids!!! EEEKKK

devout christians take the Bible seriously.... They believe the stories in the Bible are literal.

They believe Jesus Really dies on a cross and resurrected 3 days later...

In catholic church, when you receive Communion, they believe you are REALLY drinking the the blood of Christ and eating his flesh when you receive the wafer.

In current American society you have alot of people who claim to be christians (mostly because they want to go to heaven) but they dont believe the stories in the Bible...

The hardcore fundamentalists & hardcore catholics believe that stuff word for word.. You cant really be christian if you dont believe the stories...

The whole religion is based on FAITH....

you cant cherry pick what believe and what you dont believe

Quote Originally Posted by Rasheed1
    devout christians take the Bible seriously.... They believe the stories in the Bible are literal.

They believe Jesus Really dies on a cross and resurrected 3 days later...

In catholic church, when you receive Communion, they believe you are REALLY drinking the the blood of Christ and eating his flesh when you receive the wafer.

In current American society you have alot of people who claim to be christians (mostly because they want to go to heaven) but they dont believe the stories in the Bible...

The hardcore fundamentalists & hardcore catholics believe that stuff word for word.. [COLOR="Red"]You cant really be christian if you dont believe the stories...[/COLOR]

The whole religion is based on FAITH....

you cant cherry pick what believe and what you dont believe
    yes you def can...

the only story I think that is a must to believe in literally is that Jesus is the son of God, died on the cross for your sins, etc

most of the others, Noah's Ark, Adam and Eve, etc, can be taken as symbolic...

I have family members who are Christian, that do not take many of the stories literally...I am sure most of the scientists who are Christian are like that as well

or they will just tell you "what is important is the lesson that the Bible teaches, not weather or not it actually happened"

many don't really focus on it like that in a literal sense...they just focus on what is trying to be taught