Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Default Re: Better floor leader: Jordan or Magic?

Mj was a great floor leader... But Magic was the floor GENERAL...

I brick nerf balls La Frescobaldi's Avatar

Magic by quite a ways to me.

Magic could invent points out of thin air for any player on his team. Even that very last man off Laker bench looked sleek getting a pass from Magic.

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

can somebody define what their definition of a 'floor leader' is?

Like some have mentioned, they were different players asked to do different things for their teams. Both were successful so I don't see how it's a clear case.

I think neither was actually better than the other. They both had their strengths and weaknesses so things balance out.

Magic, and it isn't even close. Jordan's leadership skills - or lackthereof - was a problem, not a strength.

Troll who tries to provoke you

Quote Originally Posted by Rasheed1
    Mj was a great floor leader... But Magic was the floor GENERAL...
    A great Floor "General" who lost NBA Finals series to Celtics, Pistons, Bulls & Sixers.

& a great floor "Leader" is 6-0 in NBA Finals series.

that makes sense.

Yeah those same Pistons and Celtics teams that were kicking mj's a$$ year after year in the playoffs.

The answer is obviously Magic. When you watch him play you can see how he directs the entire team and what everyone should be doing. DURING play. Literally the engine of the team. Whereas Jordan would do that kind of stuff during timeouts or breaks in play while during play he'd mostly be concerned with his own stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by ThaRegul8r
    I'm unsure why some people feel the need to insert a comment on who was the better player when that wasn't the question being asked. It's like some people can't just answer the question and leave it at that.
    It's in order to secure themselves from certain posters who will probably feel attacked after somebody suggests that X was better than Jordan at Y, hence the "I still love Jordan", "but Jordan's still the GOAT" types of comments. Your level of greatness isn't necessarily a shield against irrational fans.

A great Floor "General" who lost NBA Finals series to Celtics, Pistons, Bulls & Sixers.

that makes sense.
    Here's what I meant before...

BTW, since the 4 round format started existing, one lost to the Bucks and twice to the Celtics (10-3), the other went 8-1, with the only loss coming to the Rockets in his short comeback.

I brick nerf balls La Frescobaldi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gengiskhan

that makes sense.
    You are talking about something else entirely.

Jordan got his head handed to him in the playoffs by those exact same teams. Year after year.

Many people argue - from an extremely strong position - that the champion Bulls would have continued to be also-rans/disappeared if they had to play in the 80s before those teams got old. Jordan and Rodman both knew it, and said it as a simple fact - the NBA they were winning in was far weaker than the 80s NBA.

There's no question the 90s Bulls never met a team in the Finals of the caliber of Showtime Lakers or the 80s Celtics, nor the Pistons, early '80s Sixers, early 80s Bucks.
    Many people contend the '80s Jazz were better than the old legs Jazz that got into the Finals.... but Magic's Lakers made sure they never got out of the West.

If you are going to try and bring up things that don't answer the OP's question but that suit your agenda, you are going to have to face the fact that Michael Jordan won in a far weaker league than the NBA Magic Johnson dominated in.

NBA rookie of the year Glide2keva's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ianou
    Johnson no contest. His airness did it all himself so he did not lead the floor, he slashed to the basket almost every possession.
    The quote of a person who CLEARLY did not watch Jordan play.

How was Jordan a "poor leader"? You clowns are so blatant w/ your agenda.

Jordan was a great leader, one of the best ever, but this isn't even close. Magic IS the best leader and floor general ever.

The agendas are becoming really annoying... Alot of these so called fans really just groopies of one player rather than real NBA fans..

Everything has to devolve into a petty b*tchathon on this board anymore.

I think both players were great leaders and floor generals... I just happen to think Magic was a little better due to the different things he did out there for his team.. He orchestrated showtime at the forum.. That was something incredible the way that team ran and how Magic was the general getting the ball and pushing it, finding open guys and leading the attack..

It was beautiful to watch and that doesnt take anything away from Mj. I have often said Mj is the GOAT, but some of the posters on this board need to stop acting like p*ssies everytime someone doesnt lick their idol's balls.

Decent college freshman Calabis's Avatar

Magic Johnson and Bird, hell Jordan learned to lead from these two

Local High School Star

the most selfish player in nba history a leader? please stop.