Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default David Stern: Sanctions coming

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/86...-vs-miami-heat

San Antonio's Gregg Popovich sent stars Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili, plus key role player Danny Green, on a commercial flight home instead of playing them in a nationally televised game against the Miami Heat so they could rest ahead of the Spurs' Saturday home game against the league-leading Memphis Grizzlies.

Quote Originally Posted by LeBron James
    "I don't think Pop was in the wrong; it's not in the rules to tell you you can't send your guys home. The commish made his decision and everybody else will deal with it."

Quote Originally Posted by Gregg Popovich
    "It's the best thing for our team. Everybody has to make decisions about their schedule. We've done this before in hopes we're making a wiser decision and not a macho decision. Perhaps, it'll give us an opportunity to stay on the floor with Memphis on Saturday night."

If anyone should be punished, it should be the Miami Heat for almost losing that game.

Default Re: David Stern: Sanctions coming

Sorry, missed the other thread. But moral of the topic, WTF is wrong with Stern?

I support the sanction while also realize that the Spurs did nothing wrong.

Sanction would be useful so teams don't try the kind of behavior that is bad for fans. For example, what if Miami Heat starters stop playing away games when they have enough wins to reach the playoff? That is not wrong at all but clearly it needs to be stopped.

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine

Sanction would be useful so teams don't try the kind of behavior that is bad for fans. For example, what if Miami Heat starters stop playing away games when they have enough wins to reach the playoff? That is not wrong at all but clearly it needs to be stopped.

You can't apply a sanction when no rule was broken. If Stern does attempt to do so, the Spurs will most definitely not go away quietly.

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine

I totally agree.

I've seen a lot of support for Pop's decision, but I think by pulling his starters from the world champion and in my opinion still the best team so far this year is stupid. Win or lose, his starters should of treated this game like a playoff game because this is the team to beat if they were to make it to the finals. They need all the experience they can get, not f*ckin' Memphis Grizzlies.

Tired or not. If you are healthy, you play ball. Period. Some kid working minimum wage at Mcdonald's is still required to show up to work if he is not sick or dealing with family issues that might prevent him from attending. These spoiled millionaires are going to take the day off because they are too tired?

Please. Go play ping pong Duncan.

Bad decision by Pop. If he is so concerned about their health, then limit their minutes; at least they could of had a chance to steal one from the Heat.

Quote Originally Posted by D.J.
    You can't apply a sanction when no rule was broken. If Stern does attempt to do so, the Spurs will most definitely not go away quietly.
    Totally, just like how when the Lakers didn't break any rules making a legitimate trade with the Rockets and Hornets, right?

Local High School Star DirtySanchez's Avatar

I agree with Stern it's bad for business. Its early on in the season people paid good money to see the beat product. I'd be pissed if the Spurs came to town and Pop sat out thier main three guys and they weren't injured.

Quote Originally Posted by Droid101
    Totally, just like how when the Lakers didn't break any rules making a legitimate trade with the Rockets and Hornets, right?
    That wasn't the same thing though. Technically when that trade happened, because it was the Hornets, every owner was allowed to weigh in on the decision happening, as every owner partly owned the Hornets. In this scenario though, no one has any say on what the Spurs can and can't do.

Quote Originally Posted by Droid101
    You saw how Odom worked out for the Mavs right?...

Now what make's you think Odom would have been alright playing in New Orleans?...

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by DirtySanchez
    I agree with Stern it's bad for business. Its early on in the season people paid good money to see the beat product. I'd be pissed if the Spurs came to town and Pop sat out thier main three guys and they weren't injured.

Exactly. The NBA was just claiming poverty in the past lockout, and took a huge chunk of money from the players. It doesn't help your cause when you have a team sit all its stars, and purposely tank games, then claim you can't make money.

Stern should force the Spurs to pay back every singe person who bought a ticket for that game.

Serious playground baller

Pop probably did this for other reasons, being that he thinks playing the heat is a lose lose situation because it doesnt matter if you have a better team the reffs are on miami's side.

Stern just did this to make the small % of stupid fans feel better.

It's gonna be a $25k fine and that's it.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by B4llin
    Pop probably did this for other reasons, being that he thinks playing the heat is a lose lose situation because it doesnt matter if you have a better team the reffs are on miami's side.
    Obviously the costs of losing with the stars was greater than the benefit of winning with them, which is why Pop did it. But the fans paid money to see the stars play. If they got a reduction for ticket prices, then it's completely understandable to sit healthy players. I doubt they did though.

Quote Originally Posted by D.J.
    If you are the league office, you can make something up now can't you. Hmm lemme see here, unsportsmanlike conduct, intentional losing.

The Spurs will definitely go away quietly if they are wise.

I think it will be just a warning or small fine though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    Obviously the costs of losing with the stars was greater than the benefit of winning with them, which is why Pop did it. But the fans paid money to see the stars play. If they got a reduction for ticket prices, then it's completely understandable to sit healthy players. I doubt they did though.
    Yup. Exactly.

Pop is basically saying his team cannot compete. He threw the game to save face. Had his starters lost this game, everyone would be talking about how old they were instead of how deep since their scrub players nearly won the game.

Smart publicity stunt? Perhaps. But if you can read through the lines, this is easily one of the most pathetic moves a coach has made in the history of sports.