Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast
    Nuggets/Avs/Broncos. NuggetsFan's Avatar

Default Re: The hypocrisy of hockey

Quote Originally Posted by moe94
    NuggetsFan, not trying to be a dick or whatever, but why is the fighting necessary? Did you already go through it?
    Yeah dude. Instead of rambling

- Police the game themselves, players are held accountable for the plays they make, protect the stars.

- Momentum. 82 game season. Team is playing lazy and you get a scrap going it can completely change the game.

- Emotion. Venting, rivalries etc.

- History/Tradition. It's been around since what like the 20's? Every player watched it on TV since they were kids and have grown up with it in there leagues as well.

Quote Originally Posted by NuggetsFan
    LOL and you don't think they do the same with the NHL? You don't think fans aren't calling Torts or what Hartley did bush league? .. It just appears you have no fcking idea about hockey and came on ISH to be like uhhhh why do people not give hockey players shit for fighting and talking about something you have no idea about.

Look up Sean Avery. Check out Don Cherry. Fighting is simply apart of the game but people still call players goons, give them shit when they do something stupid. John Scott was crucified by some because he's a 6'6 enforced which is rare today because enforcers are deff a dying breed, who tried to fight Phil Kessel. People tore that situation apart because Kessel swung his stick at him, and you know what? He was called a PUNK. People called Scott an idiot too.

People just don't hate on LEGAL hockey plays that are apart of the game, just like people don't hate Kobe for knocking down a 3.

Trash talk isn't in the rulebook you fcking moron.
    You said culture and I pointed to a cultural aspect of the game.

What I hear from you is justification of violence in hockey simply "because it's tradition."

That doesn't really answer the question for me.

The sport could be more hockey and little to no fighting but that's the way people like it.

Again, I'm not downing hockey just the perception of fighting in hockey vs. other sports.

Also, the NHL is an American corporation...no matter how popular the sport is in Canada or other areas, the N in NHL stands for the US.

Why is it more needed in this sport than any other sport? It would seem like all those things you said could apply to any team sport yet they absolutely frown upon fighting and it's certainly not part of the game. I figured there was a deeper meaning.
    The physicality maybe. They didn't even use helmets when hockey first started. Hockey is body contact, NBA is not. NFL has hit obviously but has a much slower pace and less risk of "dirty" plays. I don't even know how NFL could have fighting? Inbetween plays and just give out 5 minute penalties? Just give a flag and let the players stay in the game? Hockey has a penalty box. Fighting is in the rule book right down to an instigator penalty. NFL has fighting as an ejection similar to minor leagues of hockey.

It's not needed more probably, actually some people these days who think it should be outta the game. It's just apart of the sport, it's how the game was made. I guess you don't get to pick and choose the rules. I find it entertaining so I'm happy with it. It's like how you can't kick the ball in basketball, it's just not allowed.

I personally don't see how it could be any other way as person who's watched it/played it for a pretty long time.

Made that high school varsity squad Solidape's Avatar

Why is it more needed in this sport than any other sport? It would seem like all those things you said could apply to any team sport yet they absolutely frown upon fighting and it's certainly not part of the game. I figured there was a deeper meaning.
    Deeper meaning is this....when white folks do it, its part of the game, when colored folks do it, they are thugs and gangsters.

You mean to tell me that fighting is needed more in NHL versus NFL?

The physicality maybe. They didn't even use helmets when hockey first started. Hockey is body contact, NBA is not. NFL has hit obviously but has a much slower pace and less risk of "dirty" plays. I don't even know how NFL could have fighting? Inbetween plays and just give out 5 minute penalties? Just give a flag and let the players stay in the game? Hockey has a penalty box. Fighting is in the rule book right down to an instigator penalty. NFL has fighting as an ejection similar to minor leagues of hockey.

It's not needed more probably, actually some people these days who think it should be outta the game. It's just apart of the sport, it's how the game was made. I guess you don't get to pick and choose the rules. I find it entertaining so I'm happy with it. It's like how you can't kick the ball in basketball, it's just not allowed.

I personally don't see how it could be any other way as person who's watched it/played it for a pretty long time.
    Football (American) started it without head gear protection too.

NFL has less chance of dirty plays?

Idk about that.

There is no gear in rugby either but they don't fight from what I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Getter

Idk about that.
    Dudes just trying to justify a point to support his argument

NHL fight supporters are like those dudes that try to explain how evolution is wrong and creationism is more real.

Fun fact, NFL started without helmets so that rules out NHL playing without protection. Cheap shots in NFL can be had in every play, in fact happen more often than you would think. Ever heard of tripping, clipping, gouging???

There is no gear in rugby either but they don't fight from what I've seen.

You said culture and I pointed to a cultural aspect of the game.
    Correct. It's also apart of the rules of the sport tho, trash talk is not. Fighting is both apart of the culture and in the rule book.

What I hear from you is justification of violence in hockey simply "because it's tradition."
    It's hockey. If you think it's too violent or fighting shouldn't be allowed that's completely fair to say. You would not be alone. Just don't compare it to sports where fighting is illegal and not apart of the game. That's stupid, what you said here is not. That's a legit opinion.

That doesn't really answer the question for me.

The sport could be more hockey and little to no fighting but that's the way people like it.
    Yeah that's fine. It's the way I like it. Like I said there are the hockey fans that dislike it and think it should be removed. It has been to some degree too, mostly because of enforcers post hockey. Concussions, quality of life etc.

Again, I'm not downing hockey just the perception of fighting in hockey vs. other sports.
    This is what's ridiculous. Too lazy to continue to ramble but just doesn't make sense. Basketball and football fighting isn't allowed, so why compare it to a sport where fighting is apart of? ..

Also, the NHL is an American corporation...no matter how popular the sport is in Canada or other areas, the N in NHL stands for the US.
    This is where you can tell your lack of hockey knowledge is exposed.

464 players in the NHL are from Canada.
    215 from USA
    69 from Sweeden
    37 from Czech Rebuplic
    31 from Russia
    27 from Finland.

NHL is dominant in Canada. It's Canada's game, TSN is the main media and that's from Canada. The media coverage in Canada compared to the states is insane. The main route to the NHL is playing in the CHL, other would be playing in Europe of Div 1 in America.

I don't care if the N stands for national how the NBA/NFL is viewed is dominant in America like hockey is dominant in Canada. PERIOD.

Idk about that.
    IMO yeah. What do you have? Late hits? Horse collar? Cheap shots obviously, not hockey is filled with cheap shit.

Latest incident in the NHL that's getting ripped apart by the media/fans. Basically getting called a "punk"
    Last edited by NuggetsFan; 01-20-2014 at 04:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Solidape
    I have no knowledge of rugby so won't speak on it. Something you two should learn from.

IMO yeah. What do you have? Late hits? Horse collar? Cheap shots obviously, not hockey is filled with cheap shit.

Latest incident in the NHL that's getting ripped apart by the media/fans. Basically getting called a "punk"
    NHL can always make rules to suspend that guy for 20 (or XX games) games without pay!

After a while this sort of behavior will go down, not away, money talks.

Yeah but the pile ups in football are frequent and it is very easy to do all sorts of cheap stuff without getting caught.

Quote Originally Posted by Solidape
    NHL can always make rules to suspend that guy for 20 (or XX games) games without pay!

After a while this sort of behavior will go down, not away, money talks.
    They could and he will get suspended, and a player like Erat won't even have to drop the gloves usually. Like I said the game has changed.

Your issue seems to be with how stupid fighting in hockey is. Which I understand completely. Tons of people are like wait a minute why do they fight? That's alright, even hockey fans who believe that.

It's the comparing to the likes of NFL/NBA that's funny. It's like a non basketball fan being like hey they kick the ball in soccer, why can't they in basketball?

Take your issue with the creators/innovators/pioneers of the sports because are who formed the game. People with hockey just so happened to include fighting right or wrong how it is and why it's different from the NBA and NFL both of which I like just as much if not more