Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Video Games Forum

Video Games Forum Video game forum - video games message board

Old 07-11-2011, 01:52 AM   #1
$LakerGold
|Ronda☆Mir|

$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Lightbulb Article : Where are health packs now?

READ MORE @ http://www.giantbomb.com/health-pack/93-255/

Quote:
Where are Health Packs Now?
'Health Packs' can now be considered obsolete, since the "new" regenerating health has become popular amongst developers, and gamers alike. This doesn't necessarily mean that you won't see the health pack appear ever again. There are in fact, some games that still do have this function, and the appearance of the Health Pack hardly renders a game outdated. Today, the nature of a particular game is often tied to the presence of health packs. Games that aim for a more realistic approach tend to avoid health packs, some even circumventing health completely (like "CounterStrike"), turning every round into a one spawn elimination. Contrarily, Health packs are more likely to be found in 'arcadey' game types (Team Fortress 2, for instance) that concentrate on pure gameplay mechanics rather than realism or any sense of 'cinematic' immersion.
$LakerGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 04:09 AM   #2
Joshumitsu
Local High School Star

Joshumitsu has an incredible reputation hereJoshumitsu has an incredible reputation hereJoshumitsu has an incredible reputation hereJoshumitsu has an incredible reputation hereJoshumitsu has an incredible reputation hereJoshumitsu has an incredible reputation hereJoshumitsu has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Article : Where are health packs now?

I certainly hope it doesn't have to do with that Obama healthcare program. If so, we need to cut it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yoRWXrZVzA
Joshumitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 05:54 PM   #3
kentatm
NBA Legend

kentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

i actually dislike regenerating health and miss how much more skill you had to have in an FPS when it wasn't always possible to just go hide to get your health back up.

regenerating health (on top of only getting to carry two weapons) in the new Duke Nukem was actually sort of a deal breaker for me.
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 06:09 PM   #4
gasolina
DEY DA-PRESSED

gasolina is considered somewhat coolgasolina is considered somewhat coolgasolina is considered somewhat cool

God Hand not only had health packs... they had health packs in shapes of fruits! Yep bananas, cherrys and the like.

That's hardcore old school yo.
gasolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 06:38 PM   #5
ErhnamDjinn
“Homo homini lupus est

ErhnamDjinn is considered somewhat coolErhnamDjinn is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentatm
i actually dislike regenerating health and miss how much more skill you had to have in an FPS when it wasn't always possible to just go hide to get your health back up.

regenerating health (on top of only getting to carry two weapons) in the new Duke Nukem was actually sort of a deal breaker for me.
yeah kinda diminishes the use of medics and there health packs in games like BBC2. Also games now are all kinda easy endless life and such, unlike old games which were actually kinda frustrating having to manage 3 life and 5-9 continues
ErhnamDjinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 06:53 PM   #6
N0Skillz
Master

N0Skillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterN0Skillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterN0Skillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterN0Skillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterN0Skillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterN0Skillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterN0Skillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterN0Skillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterN0Skillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

My only quarrel with health packs is those times where you die and spawn back with no health packs and your ridiculously low on health so you can't continue on without dying in one shot -.- .

THAT SHIT MADE ME RAGE IN THE PAST SO HARD.

OK i fckn die and on my last checkpoint I had no health packs and had low health. MFER I ain't starting the fckn level over again and playing through 20 minutes of shit again to get here.
N0Skillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:40 PM   #7
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentatm

I agree. Games are too easy where you can just hide and let your wounds heal Wolverine-style. It even happens in friggin LA Noire!

Half Life 2 gameplay = near perfection.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:19 AM   #8
ballup
Fool Disguised Genius

ballup is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableballup is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableballup is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableballup is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableballup is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableballup is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableballup is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableballup is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableballup is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableballup is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableballup is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Regenerating health is just part of the simplification of video games. I think that only a fraction of lost health should be capable of regenerating and no health should be able to regenerate after a certain amount of health is lost.

Double jump, frequent checkpoints, and repetitive boss attacks are much bigger "issues" imo.
ballup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:19 PM   #9
gasolina
DEY DA-PRESSED

gasolina is considered somewhat coolgasolina is considered somewhat coolgasolina is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballup
repetitive boss attacks are much bigger "issues" imo.
I'm on the other side on this one. Make a boss too complicated and it actually becomes a hindrance than an enjoyment.

Have you played DMC4? I hate how that game wants you to play a boss a specific way. Although there was one boss (the White Knight) who actually gave you some freedom on how you wanted to attack him. Generally you needed to find that pattern even if you had to waste 10+ lives.

I always enjoyed games where they force you to adjust on the fly. I blame games like Punch out for that.
gasolina is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: