Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Chicago Bulls Forum

Chicago Bulls Forum Chicago Bulls message board - chicago bulls fan forum

Old 07-09-2007, 11:57 PM   #1
Bulls_Fan20
Local High School Star

Bulls_Fan20 has decent reputationBulls_Fan20 has decent reputation
Post Official Bulls Summer League Thread

Game 1: Pacers 93 - Bulls 89
Box score: http://www.nba.com/media/bulls/pacers_070709.pdf

I didn't get to see this game, but from looking at the box score, I have a few observations:

1. 3-point shooting - As a team the Bulls took 60 shots, and only 9 were from downtown. That's about 15%, compared to 19% from this past season, which shows that we don't really have a great pure shooter on the team. They are gonna have to get it done somehow else. I guess we don't really need another long range shooter with Kirk, Gordon and Noc, but it never hurts. Curry had a good shooting day hitting his only 3, both free throws, and 50% of his field goals. Good start.

2. Fouls - The big thing I've heard so far from the summer games that have been played is the amount of fouls, which happens every year. Aaron Gray was the only one that would have fouled out in a normal game, and only Thomas Gardner had more than 4 fouls. Hopefully they can stay disciplined.

3. Assists - This past season, 60% of our baskets came off of assists. In game one, we had 13 assists on 27 baskets, down more than 10%. Only Andre Barrett and JamesOn Curry had more than 1, which could be cause for concern, but it is only the first game. The Pacers, on the other hand, had 17 assists on 28 baskets.

4. Fast Break Points - We had 20, the Pacers had 8...enough said.

5. Marty's name is so long it doesn't even fit on the page.

Hopefully I will be able to watch tomorrow's game online somewhere. If anybody watched today's game and has first-hand opinions, please share them.

If anybody is wondering, here is a link to Bulls player averages for last summer's Pepsi Summer League. It's most of the way down.
http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5047
Bulls_Fan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 12:47 AM   #2
Dengness9
Homecourt: Hell

Dengness9 is a pretty well-respected posterDengness9 is a pretty well-respected posterDengness9 is a pretty well-respected posterDengness9 is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Official Bulls Summer League Thread

Hey i watched the game, and here is what I took in....

1. Tyrus Thomas had 17 and 7, with 5 blocks in 30 minutes of play. Bulls would have won if he didn't get hurt TWICE! It freaked me out both times he went to locker room, cuz if we lose Tyrus or Thabo from a summerleague game, that would absolutely suck. Tyrus was doing more of that super athletic stuff he always does. By the way niether injury looked to be too serious at all.

2. Thabo didn't shoot well, but it wasnt a bad performance. Despite not that strong of a game, he looked comfortable and a little more experienced than a lot of other players on either team. He really had a bad game statistically but bottom line , he will be fine.

3. Jameson Curry looked a lil better than ok. He only had 9 points but still had a nice looking shot, dribbling skills, and speed. I really want and think he will be on the Bulls 07-08 squad, and would get some good sub pg minutes.

4. Aaron Gray didn't show too much but he still had 8 pts, 4, rebs, and 2 blocks in 21 minutes. That's a far better first summer league game than Greg Oden had! Hopefully next game he will get more touches.

5. Nice game to Andre Barrett. He had 13, 6, and 6 in 24 minutes. Only downside was the 7 turnovers.

6. Last point... Lance Johnson with 15 in 13 minutes, damn! He has nice touch, don't know if he is quick enough for the League... we'll see soon.

TO WATCH BULLS PEPSI PRO SUMMER LEAGUE GAMES LOG ONTO ORLANDOMAGIC.COM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dengness9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 10:06 AM   #3
BULLS4EVER
I airball my layups

BULLS4EVER has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengness9
TO WATCH BULLS PEPSI PRO SUMMER LEAGUE GAMES LOG ONTO ORLANDOMAGIC.COM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yesterday i see only a few minutes of the game...but today i dont find the game in nba.com or orlandomagic.com. ( the las vegas summer league games are all online.... ) We can see the game only LIVE?
BULLS4EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 04:34 PM   #4
Dengness9
Homecourt: Hell

Dengness9 is a pretty well-respected posterDengness9 is a pretty well-respected posterDengness9 is a pretty well-respected posterDengness9 is a pretty well-respected poster

Yea only live bro.
Dengness9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 10:56 PM   #5
Bulls_Fan20
Local High School Star

Post Re: Official Bulls Summer League Thread

Game 2: Bulls 92 - Bobcats 80
Box score: http://www.nba.com/media/magic/071007_chachi.pdf

Got to see parts of the game, and the Bulls looked pretty good. TT was by far the best player on either team, although it seemed at times that he was playing out of control. Aaron Gray had a double-double, hit a couple baseline jumpers and some nice putbacks.

There were times that the Bulls settled for quick outside shots instead of working for a better shot, but for the most part the offense was run through TT and Aaron Gray in the post. Lance Williams had another stellar game, going 5-8 from the field and ending with 10 points and 4 boards.

The Bulls are now 1-1 and play the Heat in the late game tomorrow.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:36 PM   #6
Bulls_Fan20
Local High School Star

Game 3: Bulls 77 - Heat 66
Box score: http://www.nba.com/media/magic/071107_chimia.pdf

What can I say? We played bad, they played worse. Nobody had a great day, but they played just well enough to win. Aaron Gray leading the team in scoring is just not right, but if he can keep scoring, more power to him. I don't know what happened with TT, but he only took 9 shots in 26 minutes and made two of them. I wish I could have seen this game to see what he was doing wrong offensively. He did finish with 12 boards, 4 assists, and 5 blocks, so he was doing other things well.

Speaking of assists, apart from TT, nobody had more than 2. I think Thabo needs to start taking over as the playmaking guard. It doesn't seem like Barrett wants to be the guy, so maybe we can let JamesOn Curry take some of his minutes. He seems to be shooting well, and if Thabo can run the point, Curry can play the 2.

Lance Williams is making the most of his minutes, but if he can't keep shooting 3-11 from the field. He does have most of our 3-point attempts, but that doesn't matter if he can't actually make them.

I'm still surprised at how well Aaron Gray shoots free throws. This is something we haven't had in a while - a big man with touch. I'm excited to see if he can keep up his good touch.
Old 07-13-2007, 01:40 AM   #7
Bulls_Fan20
Local High School Star

Game 4: Magic 88 - Bulls 72
Box score: http://www.nba.com/media/magic/071207_orlchi.pdf

The Bulls were playing well until about midway through the second quarter. They made a mini run to go up 36-28, and just like that the Magic went on a 18-2 run to take all the wind out of their sails. Aaron Gray and Thabo were the leading scorers with 13 points each, but they shot 2-10 and 4-16, respectively. As a team the Bulls shot 36.4%, and they went cold in the second and third quarters. TT didn't play...it says coach's decision.

Positives: The Bulls were 18-19 from the free throw line. I'm trying to find another one, but nothing is popping out.

Negatives: Besides shooting, they only had 4 blocks. In the three previous games, TT averaged more than that by himself. In the other games, the Bulls severely beat the other teams in points in the paint. Today, they were outscored 34-20. Part of that is the absence of TT, but that is pretty pathetic. Fast break points were 16-4 in favor of the Magic. 4 fast break points?? Also quite awful.

Well, we are now 2-2 with one game left against the Nets tomorrow morning at 10:00 central. Hopefully that one goes better than today's.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:41 AM   #8
BULLS4EVER
I airball my layups

BULLS4EVER has an OK reputation so far

Yesterday i see only the 1st quarter of the game. Sefolosha, Curry and L. Williams played very good in the 1st.
I like L.Williams, he has good post moves and has good hand...but he dont take rebound!!!!
What do you think can he take a spot in the 2007-08 bulls roster?

Last edited by BULLS4EVER : 07-13-2007 at 10:35 AM.
BULLS4EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 04:54 PM   #9
Bulls_Fan20
Local High School Star

Game 5: Nets 88 - Bulls 77
Box score: http://www.nba.com/media/magic/071307_chinjn.pdf

Didn't get to see this game either, but it's obvious that the Bulls are a different team with Tyrus Thomas in the lineup. The guards all played well, but the big men had trouble containing anyone on the Nets. They ended up shooting 56% from the field, while the Bulls only shot 41%. The killer statistic was 3-point shooting. The Bulls were 2-9 and the Nets were 8-14.

Thabo (25/7/3), Curry (19/6/6), and Thomas Gardner (12 pts, 2-5 3-pointers) all had great games. Aaron Gray had a second dismal shooting day in a row, going 2-11 from the field. As a team, the Bulls only had 4 steals and 1 blocked shot. D'or Fischer did his best Tyson Chandler impersonation with 5 fouls in 11 minutes.

The Bulls did a great job on the boards, only allowing 3 offensive rebounds to the Nets, but when the other team hits over 50% of their shots, that stat is not as important. Points in the paint were more even this game, but once again, the loss of TT really hurt this team. Without his energy, shot blocking skills, and overall talent I think it will be hard for the Bulls to win any games at the Salt Lake summer league.
Old 07-13-2007, 07:19 PM   #10
Bulls_Fan20
Local High School Star

Final per-game averages for the Orlando Summer League:

Name - Min - FG% - 3P% - FT% - Reb - A - PF - ST - TO - BS - PTS
Thabo - 31:13 - 39.4 - 20 - 67.6 - 4.4 - 2.8 - 3 - 1.2 - 3 - 0.8 - 15.4
Justin Cage - 25:48 - 57.1 - 33.3 - 100 - 2.6 - 1 - 2.8 - 0.8 - 1 - 0.4 - 6.6
Barrett - 22:06 - 26.3 - 25 - 87.5 - 3.3 - 3.7 - 3 - 1 - 4.3 - 0 - 8.3
Marty - 7:26 - 66.7 - 0 - 0 - 3 - 0 - 2 - 0 - 1 - 1 - 4
Curry - 23:26 - 50 - 50 - 76.9 - 2.2 - 3 - 2.4 - 0.6 - 1.6 - 0 - 9.4
Erik Daniels - 9:59 - 26.7 - 20 - 50 - 1.8 - 0 - 1.4 - 0 - 0.6 - 0 - 2.2
Tyrus - 29:48 - 42.9 - 0 - 60 - 9 - 3 - 3 - 1.7 - 2.3 - 4.7 - 16
Gardner - 20:43 - 39.5 - 35 - 75 - 1.2 - 0.8 - 2.4 - 0.4 - 1.6 - 0 - 9.2
Aaron Gray - 24:36 - 37.5 - 0 - 84 - 5.4 - 1.2 - 4.6 - 1.4 - 2.2 - 1 - 9.4
Lance Williams - 19:07 - 50 - 0 - 92.9 - 3 - 0.4 - 3 - 0.4 - 2.2 - 0.2 - 10.2
D'or Fischer - 12:27 - 33.3 - 0 - 80 - 3.6 - 0.8 - 4 - 0.4 - 0.6 - 0.6 - 2.8

Tyrus Thomas and Andre Barrett only played in 3 games, and Marty only played in the first game. TT was definitely the best player in the three games he played. The 42.9% field goals are a little worrisome, but he should get better with experience.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:29 PM   #11
KaptnKirk12
High School Varsity 12th Man

KaptnKirk12 has an OK reputation so far

Althought I am not upset with the Curry pick - here is just kind of a "I told you so..."

One of the most impressive summer league games turned in so far belongs to former Maryland guard D.J. Strawberry, who finished with 19 points, 7 assists and 3 steals for Phoenix in a loss to Philadelphia on Wednesday night. Washington Post

The 6-5 Strawberry was taken with the 59th pick in the second round but has flashed the kind of versatile offensive game and on-the-ball defensive ability that NBA teams like in a reserve guard. Washington Post

DJ Strawberry playing very well in the summer league so far.
KaptnKirk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: