Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-22-2019, 01:24 AM   #16
Proctor
College superstar

Default Re: Hate to make a Wilt thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents
Lazeruss is back
I wish...that's not him though.
Proctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 01:41 AM   #17
coastalmarker99
Saw a basketball once

some what if's for Wilt
Many will point out the losses in 1968, 69, and 70. While it is true Chamberlain could have done more, it is uncertain how much more another player would have done in his place. Chamberlain was nursing an assortment of injuries to his right leg in the 1968 East Finals that he "couldn't turn around to shoot" according to team statistician Harvey Pollack. In the deciding game of the 1969 Finals he left after hurting his right knee in the middle of a fourth quarter rally but still demanded to go back in. In 1970 he went against doctor's orders after major knee surgery and returned early in time for the postseason, even though another break may have ended his career.

In all three cases, all I saw was someone who just wanted to play and win despite risking greater injury to himself. Chamberlain averaged 17.7 points, 28.3 rebounds, 4.0 assists, and shot .636 from the field across those three Game 7 losses while his teammates collectively shot averages of .343, .360, and .418. if Wilt wins those 3 game 7's then, the debate between he and Russell is over. The narrative would forever be that once Wilt got good talent around him, he got the better of Russell.
coastalmarker99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 01:47 AM   #18
Gunslinger
I don't get picked last at the park anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proctor
I wish...that's not him though.

Whoever he is, all his posts so far are in this thread slurping Ilt.

Gunslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 05:05 AM   #19
Psileas
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammertime
I love how people always bring up Wilt's stats without context. The main issue being that he regularly played 45+ minutes a game. Hell, he averaged just under 46 for his career.

Here are his numbers per 36:

Are we supposed to have to punish him for being more durable than the rest of the league and playing more minutes? Anyway, he's still head and shoulders ahead of the rest of his era's superstars "per 36". He's led the league in PER 8 times and 6 times in the playoffs (for comparison to the popular GOAT choices, Jordan also did it 6 times, LeBron 5 and Kareem 7) - and PER is a "per minute" stat.
Psileas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 05:33 AM   #20
Manny98
LeBron Stan

Is that Laz omg
Manny98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 05:44 AM   #21
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Wilt only sat I think 6 minutes the year he scored 50 a game and that was when he got ejected.

His numbers look a lot more reasonable when you consider that. Look at a players per48 numbers and you realize that its not that far off from what others have done. I think Jordan got around 44 points per 48 at one point and thats without his coach insisting he drop 50 every game win or lose. It wasnt him just playing high schoolers. It was a great scorer never sitting down and being told to go off every single night regardless of the outcome.
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 06:01 AM   #22
coastalmarker99
Saw a basketball once

no i'm not Lazeruss i have just been lurking on this board for the past couple of years. just reading everyone posts. egokiller along with stalkerforlife, Shogon, highwhey make me laugh along with coin24 so yeah those guys are my favourite posters since i have been lurking for the past 2 years.

Last edited by coastalmarker99 : 08-22-2019 at 06:08 AM.
coastalmarker99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 09:55 AM   #23
julizaver
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psileas
Are we supposed to have to punish him for being more durable than the rest of the league and playing more minutes? Anyway, he's still head and shoulders ahead of the rest of his era's superstars "per 36". He's led the league in PER 8 times and 6 times in the playoffs (for comparison to the popular GOAT choices, Jordan also did it 6 times, LeBron 5 and Kareem 7) - and PER is a "per minute" stat.

I would like to mention that Phil Jackson who played versus Wilt during his final 6 years or so - and who coached Shaq during his prime years said that Wilt was more durable and more athletic than Shaq ... It is on youtube.
julizaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 10:17 AM   #24
julizaver
Local High School Star

It was discussed to death but there is more credible evidence about the greatness of Wilt. In his last 4 seasons Wilt played 28 games vs the best college player ever (Kareem) and due to injury 27 games of those 28 were played after Wilt turned 34 years ... old Wilt had battled Kareem on even terms the first 11 games they played (something like statistical draw). After that Lakers coach Sharman told Wilt to concentrate more on defense and Wilt forbade scoring. Kareem at his prime admit he put extra effort every time vs Wilt and had some high scoring games although with far efficiency than other centers (safe for Nate Thurmond), and it happens that the more Kareem score the more Bucks lose games. While I can say that Kareem was the better player at the time (the best NBA player also) Wilt more than hold his own versus a player who even at his late 30s scored a ton of points vs HOF centers like Hakeem (which played into 2000s).
Anyway even an old Wilt was better rebounder and better defender, shot blocker than any version of Kareem, and for sure prime Wilt is better scorrer, and better all around player than Kareem. Also you can watch the whole game where Bucks with Kareem stop Lakers 33 game winning streak. In that game Kareem was credited with a lot more blocked shots and rebounds than Wilt, but in reality you can check it was Wilt who got slighlty more.
julizaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 10:54 AM   #25
Hammertime
National High School Star

Quote:
Are we supposed to have to punish him for being more durable than the rest of the league and playing more minutes? Anyway, he's still head and shoulders ahead of the rest of his era's superstars "per 36".

Not at all. My point was in support of Wilt. Much of the criticism of Wilt's stats comes from them being "video-game like." Then when you point out that he did play 48+ minutes a game in his anno mirabilis, the criticism usually becomes that he didn't put up such monster stats after all. I mean, he's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.
Hammertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 11:40 AM   #26
Hey Yo
7-time NBA All-Star

During Harden's 32 game 30pt streak, he avg. 41ppg.

They gave a stat on Wilt (if I heard it right) that he had a 40ppg avg. for like 512 straight games.
Hey Yo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 11:45 AM   #27
Mr Feeny
ISH vigilant

He lost multiple game 7' because he choked at the free throw line. It takes 2 minutes to see how many close game 7's they lost when his number of FT misses were greater than the final margin.

He was a 30 ppg reg season scorer, 22 ppg playoff scorer, and 18 ppg finals scorer. When the going got tough, you could always count on Wilt to choke.
Mr Feeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 11:46 AM   #28
Mr Feeny
ISH vigilant

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalmarker99
no i'm not Lazeruss i have just been lurking on this board for the past couple of years. just reading everyone posts. egokiller along with stalkerforlife, Shogon, highwhey make me laugh along with coin24 so yeah those guys are my favourite posters since i have been lurking for the past 2 years.

Sureeeeeeeee.
Mr Feeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 04:01 PM   #29
Jon Salley's 10
Saw a basketball once

GOAT statpadder
Jon Salley's 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 04:31 AM   #30
ILLsmak
Life goes on.

Quote:

rounding someone who played 48 minutes a game down to per 36 is some smash your head thru the monitor level asininity.

It's pretty damn off the wall to be like "if so and so played 48 minutes", they'd have godly stats, too. But not many people did... and their stats would probably marginally increase on less efficiency.

But the idea of 'this really happened (dude playing 48 minutes)' let's pretend he played 36 is just beyond anything I wanna deal with today. haha.

Most dudes who scored a point a minute were doing work. Wilt played more minutes. There we go.

You wanna say that the game has changed and there's no way he could play 48 min today, ok, fair argument. You wanna take away 1/4th of his stats because there is some measurement (probably more designed for people who play UNDER 36 min) supposedly to show what a person would produce if they played 'average starter minutes'... that's ridiculous.

-Smak
ILLsmak is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: