Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Why do bandwagon fans get so defensive?

I called out a "friend" for jumping on the Seahawks bandwagon. He immediately slams me on Facebook (another topic I may bring up later) saying "People can follow whoever the f### they like, Go Seahawks!" He's mad at me now

I'm not exactly ripping him, but I merely said if you didn't follow this team last year or anytime before and you are frontrunning for them now that makes you a bandwagon fan.
    I'm not hating, in sports there are 2 teams, you hop on one and go for the ride. do any of you have those type of friends?

NBA sixth man of the year Levity's Avatar

Default Re: Why do bandwagon fans get so defensive?

bandwagon fans crave a sense of approval. so by you calling them out, IE: not approving of them, you hurt their only cause.

NBA sixth man of the year knickballer's Avatar

eh, people take fandom(w/e it's called) too seriously. Bandwagon fans are annoying but so are the "diehard" fans who claim they followed their team since 19XX. Too much energy and time is wasted on something that has no real value to us.

It's just entertainment for me now and I'm not so caught up if my teams have won anymore besides only in soccer for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Levity
    bandwagon fans crave a sense of approval. so by you calling them out, IE: not approving of them, you hurt their only cause.
    Good call!

Quote Originally Posted by knickballer
    eh, people take fandom(w/e it's called) too seriously. Bandwagon fans are annoying but so are the "diehard" fans who claim they followed their team since 19XX. Too much energy and time is wasted on something that has no real value to us.

It's just entertainment for me now and I'm not so caught up if my teams have won anymore besides only in soccer for some reason.
    I thought that was what sports is about? Supporting a team through loyalty. Aren't you proud to be a Knick fan? I wear being a Sixer and Flyer fan proudly.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

I have a friend who used to switch who he was pulling for mid-game.

College superstar

Because you've exposed them. They know themselves that they're on a bandwagon and most people will get defensive when you call them out.

Never understood bandwagon fans. In order to enjoy the success you have to know the misery.

Quote Originally Posted by Myth
    I have a friend who used to switch who he was pulling for mid-game.
    That's all kinds of funny to me

Quote Originally Posted by knickballer

Yup, I find die hard fans offending bandwagoners just as strange as bandwagoners getting defensive.

Local High School Star Bush4Ever's Avatar

The main reason they wig out is that the accusation of being a bandwagon fan bleeds over into an implied attack on their overall character and integrity.

Quote Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
    Yup, I find die hard fans offending bandwagoners just as strange as bandwagoners getting defensive.
    I can see where most die hard fans come from. Just like anything in life when you invest a ton of time in something them somebody else want to share the glory can be frustrating.
    The way I look at it is imaging investing time in rebuilding an old model car. You put all the work into it and feel rewarded. Then some punk kid goes out and buys the car already built and flaunts it as if he were just as invested of an owner. I'm sure the guy who built his car would question what type of appreciation he has for it.

In this case he probably thinks because you two a friends that you shouldn't care. I have a friend who jumped on the Heat bandwagon when LeBron joined and was a Man U fan until this season when he became a Liverpool fan then a City fan. I just think it's funny because he won't get the same feeling of pride when "his" teams do win.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Done_And_Done
    That's all kinds of funny to me
    I can't remember what game it was, but once he switched 3 times in 1 game. He got shamed a lot and I haven't seen him do it in a while. It seems that now he roots for the team most people in the room are rooting for to fit in.

Quote Originally Posted by hateraid
    I can see where most die hard fans come from. Just like anything in life when you invest a ton of time in something them somebody else want to share the glory can be frustrating.
    The way I look at it is imaging investing time in rebuilding an old model car. You put all the work into it and feel rewarded. Then some punk kid goes out and buys the car already built and flaunts it as if he were just as invested of an owner. I'm sure the guy who built his car would question what type of appreciation he has for it.
    I don't think that analogy holds up well because the guy who builds a car puts a ton of skill and money into the project. A die hard is just a person who watches more games and reads more news stories. Its not like the fan is the GM and spent countless hours building the team. Demanding that someone watch every game for X number of years before they can be considered a real fan and enjoy a win properly seems kind of ridiculous to me. I can understand where people come from but it doesn't mean I don't find it silly.

Banned

Luiz-Matic Midfield

Ramires gonna be on the wing to shut down Silva.

Spot on tactics Mourinho. And Oscar can come on with 30 to go to seal the deal

Good to see Mourinho finally giving Brazilian Beckenbauer some regular run.