Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Brooklyn Nets Forum

Brooklyn Nets Forum Brooklyn Nets message board - Brooklyn Nets forum

Old 04-16-2007, 11:44 PM   #1
Drazen_Petrovic
Decent playground baller

Default Are we a legitimate 3 point shooting team?

What do you guys think. I still cringe everytime I see a 3 point shot go up, but lately they have been going in more than not. What is L Frank doing, 3 point shot drills all day during practice?
Maybe we are becoming a legitimate 3 point shooting team, and should make it integral part of our offense.
Will these shots still drop for us in the playoffs.
The one advantage would be if teams get worried about the 3 point threat, it should open up some more space for RJ and Carter to drive.
I still feel we live or die by the 3
Drazen_Petrovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 12:21 AM   #2
RichMo
OL' Schoolin 'em

Default Re: Are we a legitimate 3 point shooting team?

I would like to think they are getting in the groove late into the season. BUT... You never know with the Nets. They could keep shooting like this into the playoffs. OR... They could go ice cold out of nowhere.

This would be a good time to get in a groove. Imagine they keep shooting like this into the playoffs?.. Dangerous.

They play so confident when they are draining jumpers. It opens up the floor and J-Kidd creates more. I like the fact that evan though Kidd missed like his first nine shots against the Knicks tonight he kept shooting into the 4th. Then he hit two big threes towards the end of the game.
RichMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 12:38 AM   #3
rknine15
Buckets Baby

Nets 3 point Shooters
Best to worst....(imo)

House
Boki
Carter
RJ
Kidd
Cliffy
Wright
Williams

note
-house is injured
-wright doesnt shoot to many
-williams should stop shooting 3's
-if the Nets can make 12 3's a game that can help them win
rknine15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 02:01 AM   #4
gigantes
A piece of fluff

i haven't seen as many games as you guys, but it mainly seems like a case of taking advantage of what's there.

there's some success with isos, some with pick and rolls, a little with motion and cutters and a little bit with post play, but it seems that the most consistently open looks are coming from drive and kicks these days.

the big three are at least adequate in that area, and boki is something special, so why not take the threes? with kristic out it's not like we have that many choices, altho certainly moore and boone have been a bit better than expected operating inside.
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 05:04 AM   #5
AtTheDriveIn
04'

Quote:
Originally Posted by rknine15
-if the Nets can make 12 3's a game that can help them win

Thanks for pointing out the obvious.
AtTheDriveIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 03:41 PM   #6
rknine15
Buckets Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtTheDriveIn
Thanks for pointing out the obvious.
No problem i knew someone with your intelligence would need an individual to state obvious points here and there.
rknine15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 07:21 PM   #7
RecSpecs110
Prokhorov = Badass

Guys, Shush.

I think the main reason we're a 3 point shooting bonanza, besides the fact that we have a lot of 3 point shooters, is because we don't seem to run any plays. Other than isolations and pick and rolls, we basically pass and shoot when someone's open. To tell you the truth, Frank seems like a busy man during huddles and TO's, but what is he telling his guys? Either he's telling his guys to do such and such and they're not listening to him, or he's not drawing up much. That's why I think after this season it's time for a new coach. This isn't a random grudge against Frank and rash way of saying, "Fire Frank," but it's been a year and a half where I can see his major flaws as a coach.

He's intelligent and hard working, but he doesn't have fire. He doesn't have the nastiness that other great coaches have. The only nastiness he has is toward the refs, and that's even worse! Of course not every coach is a Gregg Popovich or an Avery Johnson. But at least you could be similiar. Frank's attitude is the polar opposite of those 2 guys, and it partially explains why we've been lackadaisical and not into it at times.

We were supposed to be a contender in the East, and granted the injuries, we've played subpar and stayed idle about it. Why? Because Frank doesn't pay attention to those intangibles. When your player makes a mistake over and over, you have to emphasize it until he gets it right. Avery Johnson is probably the best at this, and look at the Mavs. You take one possession off, and he'll let you know it. But Frank doesn't care or seem to care about those things. That's wrong, wrong, wrong.

This is very minor and pathetic example, but at the end of quarters (not the 4th), the Nets don't seem to want to shoot that last second shot, even with 3,4 seconds left where they can advance the ball and get a closer look against a weak defense like the Knicks. Rather, they just dribble it out until the buzzer sounds. That's a loser's attitude. How much more effort does it take for them to shoot one more shot, even from long range? Not much, they are strong human beings. But a little bit of laziness, and they give up on a chance to earn a few more points. Counting how many 1,2,3 point losses the Nets have had this season, those shots potentially could have saved them on 1 or 2 games. That's now the difference between facing Toronto and maybe facing Toronto in the playoffs. I also notice that other teams always go for the last second shot with as little as .5 seonds left, even the KNICKS did it yesterday at the 3rd quarter buzzer, adn they're not even playing for anything. But Frank didn't say anything about it. He's spoiling his players by saying, "whatever." I hate it that he always says, "You have to give the other team credit." It's good to show class, but saying it all the time shows that you're passive.

Last edited by RecSpecs110 : 04-17-2007 at 07:26 PM.
RecSpecs110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 09:18 PM   #8
gigantes
A piece of fluff

we don't seem to run any plays. Other than isolations and pick and rolls, we basically pass and shoot when someone's open.

but that's how most teams score their points.

watch the other teams in the league and you will mostly see the same thing, other than the few teams who have legit lowpost threats or fastbreak attacks. between those two categories i'm not sure that there's even five teams in the league who fit either one.

frank also made a big point of wanting to get back to fastbreaking ball, but with few defensive personnel (at least as starters) and usually only RJ to speed downcourt, that plan kind of got compromised also.

To tell you the truth, Frank seems like a busy man during huddles and TO's, but what is he telling his guys? Either he's telling his guys to do such and such and they're not listening to him, or he's not drawing up much.

what do you base that on? are you an X's and O's guy with a DVR and a remote to track what everyone is doing and figure out what part is scripted and what part is improvised?

the nets are at least an average point-scoring team, which is arguably a nice accomplishment with their low-post threat out for the year, one of their other main point-scorers injured and struggling to get into his groove, and a lack of people like KK and KM to tap JK's fast-breaking potential. even so, i'd venture to say that their offense has been on the rise the last few months and that frank has done a real nice job figuring out ways to score amidst these handicaps.

He's intelligent and hard working, but he doesn't have fire. He doesn't have the nastiness that other great coaches have.

nonsense. watch some of his miked coverage in games and practices and you'll see he has just as much fire as anyone. check out the NJ.COM archives for the articles about his character, work ethic and intensity. he obviously had the desire and the fire to leapfrog past a lot of other coaching candidates to get a head-coaching gig at such a young age.

in other words, don't mistake one's demeanor in front of a microphone and a television crew for one's demeanor in all other important areas. in fact, look at the great coaches around the league- PJ, pops, riley and sloan. they share that characteristic with frank of being very careful what they say in public, reserving a lot of their intensity for when the media can't make a controversy out of it.

We were supposed to be a contender in the East, and granted the injuries, we've played subpar and stayed idle about it. Why? Because Frank doesn't pay attention to those intangibles. When your player makes a mistake over and over, you have to emphasize it until he gets it right. Avery Johnson is probably the best at this, and look at the Mavs. You take one possession off, and he'll let you know it. But Frank doesn't care or seem to care about those things. That's wrong, wrong, wrong.

again, i think you're picking nits, and one of the best measures of this team and frank is how they've responded to all the difficulties this year.

this year was a superb litmus test in some ways, because many teams would have fallen apart, mailed it in, and tuned out the coach. it happens every year to various teams, like sacramento, the clips, the pacers, milwaukee and others. yet it didn't happen to us and the players do still listen to whatever frank has to say. management still gives frank full trust, and the team is now one game away from .500 despite everything that's gone wrong.

the fact that we're prolly not going to go very far in the playoffs is hardly frank's fault. i mean, where are our shot-blockers? where are our shutdown defenders? where are our enforcers?

until thorn can get frank some better defensive personnel, this team will have a rough time getting back to the finals. out of five good to superb defensive starters we had at one time- kidd in his prime, kerry kittles, RJ, kmart and a young collins now what do we have? we have kidd five years older, RJ still struggling with his ankles, and an arthritic-kneed collins. that ain't going to get it done.

thorn knows that frank has done a nice job with the hand that he was dealt, and that he badly needs a key player or two to get back to the next level.

that's why frank is not going to be fired, as much as the fans have tried to make him out as the problem this year. instead, the fans are going to have to learn not to buy into their own hype and to recognise a situation for what it is.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:25 PM   #9
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

Frank is a closed door coach.

in the media he is always calm, and gives credit and seems composed and polite and does not seem to yell a lot on court.

but if you go to a game courtside, you will see Frank yelling all the time at refs, and he yells out plays to Jason Kidd all the time. and when one of the rookies makes a critical mistake, he lets them have it... albeit not humiliatingly.

behind doors in practice... there have been reports he is a maniac. but no confirmation on that
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 10:29 PM   #10
RecSpecs110
Prokhorov = Badass

Why are you saying that I put all the blame on Frank? If I was basing everything on personal hype merely trying to point a finger, I would be saying this at least a year ago. There were pleny of letdowns and lulls made by Frank that I let go.

Show me any evidence of Frank showing fire towards his players (not refs) and I'll reconsider. I use all the sources I have, and I'm not saying, "This is the way it is, period. I know I'm 100% right." I'm making an interpretation out of the sources I have. And I have seen in practices and team meetings. He is intense, but a lot of times, he doesn't put the heat on his players at the right moments. And I've seen and read Popovich and Sloan put the heat on their players plenty of times in the media. They are careful with their words, but they do express their anger accordingly.

Whether other coaches are good coaches or not is irrelevant. We're talking about Frank right now.

gigantes, remember, nothing personal. Let's keep it calm and clean.

Last edited by RecSpecs110 : 04-17-2007 at 11:04 PM.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:02 PM   #11
Drazen_Petrovic
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Frank is a closed door coach.

but if you go to a game courtside, you will see Frank yelling all the time at refs, and he yells out plays to Jason Kidd all the time. and when one of the rookies makes a critical mistake, he lets them have it... albeit not humiliatingly.

at the nets knicks game last friday, his assistant coaches made him sit down and chill out.
Drazen_Petrovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 12:32 AM   #12
gigantes
A piece of fluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecSpecs110
Why are you saying that I put all the blame on Frank? If I was basing everything on personal hype merely trying to point a finger, I would be saying this at least a year ago. There were pleny of letdowns and lulls made by Frank that I let go.

Show me any evidence of Frank showing fire towards his players (not refs) and I'll reconsider. I use all the sources I have, and I'm not saying, "This is the way it is, period. I know I'm 100% right." I'm making an interpretation out of the sources I have. And I have seen in practices and team meetings. He is intense, but a lot of times, he doesn't put the heat on his players at the right moments. And I've seen and read Popovich and Sloan put the heat on their players plenty of times in the media. They are careful with their words, but they do express their anger accordingly.

Whether other coaches are good coaches or not is irrelevant. We're talking about Frank right now.

gigantes, remember, nothing personal. Let's keep it calm and clean.
it's nothing personal. i think it's more a case of your being young and not recognising the many factors that go into the composite evaluation. i certainly don't think it's a case of your lacking intelligence, because IMO you are one of the most intelligent people here.

i think i've made plenty of rebuttals to your original statements, and if you care to fire back it will be nothing personal.

if you have something to teach me that i didn't consider then my hat's off to you for helping me out.

otherwise, all the available evidence shows that you are mistaken and that frank will be here for a good long time... for very good cause.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:47 AM   #13
RecSpecs110
Prokhorov = Badass

What was I thinking? There's no point in arguing now. The focus is that the Nets are playing great and have an opportunity to face Toronto in the first round of the playoffs. I really shouldn't be asking for more, how greedy of me. I shouldn't be spreading negative vibes about Frank when he's trying his hardest to make the best of this situation. My apologies.

Go NETS!!
Old 04-18-2007, 02:16 AM   #14
gigantes
A piece of fluff

it's understandable... this has been a very frustrating season.

GO NETS!
Old 04-18-2007, 10:25 AM   #15
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

dont forget, Nets are a fairly efficient team coming out of timeouts. Frank always draws up something (usually a backdoor lob, or a flare screen to get a shooter open) but the Nets usually convert on those.
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: