Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567
    National High School Star STelfair31's Avatar

Default Re: Ricky Rubio just said that he wont go to the nba if grizziles draft him

Quote Originally Posted by lukekarts
    You guys cleary don't appreciate/understand the different system and culture sports have outside the NBA.

Basically, every player has freedom of choice in their career. They will sign for youth teams (normally whoever offers, or in their hometown), and their team will normally offer them a better long-term contract if it looks like they'll break into the first team.

The only way a player can move teams is if another team offers to buy him from his existing team. Once a price is agreed, the player will then negotiate a contract with the new team, which he can accept or decline, but essentially the player will decide. Players can be offered contracts at any time so naturally teams won't want their contract to expire. Trades almost never happen, its all about buying and selling.

It's not like in the NBA where your contract follows you around and you have to be traded for rather than bought. The NBA system is all about trying to keep things equal, the European system gives more freedom which allows for a much bigger difference between the teams.

So I don't blame Rubio for not wanting to go to Memphis or OKC - he's brought up somewhere he'd always have a choice, and who the hell from outside of America wants to end up in either of those two?

I wouldn't be surprised if he's got a shortlist of potential destinations (NY, LA, SF, all the well known American cities) and would be unhappy anywhere else
    Well it's different here he has to adjust to the system, the system won't adjust to him. The likes of Dirk and other Euros have seemed fine with the transition, the bolded statement above isn't valid.

Default Re: Ricky Rubio just said that he wont go to the nba if grizziles draft him

Quote Originally Posted by STelfair31
    Well it's different here he has to adjust to the system, the system won't adjust to him. The likes of Dirk and other Euros have seemed fine with the transition, the bolded statement above isn't valid.

Thank you.

We haves rules and systems in place in THIS country. Why should we cater to outside sources because THEY'RE USED TO another choice?

Hey, im using to scratching my balls when im at home. Does that mean i can go to any public area, and reach into my pants and tug away, because i have a choice?

I rule the local playground GMW's Avatar

He is not asking for the system to be adjusted to him, he is simply saying that he will not enter the system if it's not a good situation for him, which is entirely understandable.

Dirk was a nobody before playing in Dallas while Rubio is an European star, it's clearly not the same situation.

Quote Originally Posted by oh the horror
    Hey, im using to scratching my balls when im at home. Does that mean i can go to any public area, and reach into my pants and tug away, because i have a choice?
    No, you can scratch you balls when you're home, the same way Rubio can choose where he plays as long as he isn't playing in the NBA.
    Get it now?

Quote Originally Posted by GMW
    He is not asking for the system to be adjusted to him, he is simply saying that he will not enter the system if it's not a good situation for him, which is entirely understandable.

And by doing so, youve asked the system to adjust to your own liking.

What if Memphis, or OKC actually wanted this kid? They now have to go through the motions of shopping him around, or drafting someone else, because HE doesnt want to go to those teams.

Quote Originally Posted by chains5000
    No, you can scratch you balls when you're home, the same way Rubio can choose where he plays as long as he isn't playing in the NBA.
    Get it now?

Sure I can, but will people like it?

This is what this conversation is about. He CAN DO IT....But people dont have to like it.

Local High School Star lukekarts's Avatar

Rubio is 18, immature, and will be paying a small fortune to come to the NBA. That's why he wants to go to a big market.

I'm not saying he's right, I'm just trying to justify why he has the attitude he has about where he wants to go.

Learning to shoot layups

Like lukekarts above just said, the european sports run in a different way... College does not play a significant role in Pro sports, Rubio wasn't drafted to DKV and also, as far as I know, there's chance he might have a better contract there with DKV than with a rookie contract in the NBA...

So tell me, why the heck would he leave the beautiful city of Barcelona, to come to a small city in US, to earn less money???
    If I were him I would really come to US only if to a city as good as Barcelona and to a good team that will give him a prospect of development as a player and with decent coaching...

As far as his potential as a player, do you guys watch a lot of DKV games or you're just basing your opinion on the Olympics?

Learning to shoot layups

Quote Originally Posted by oh the horror
    Sure I can, but will people like it?

This is what this conversation is about. He CAN DO IT....But people dont have to like it.
    And why does people need to "like it"... ?

He's already a Pro. His team doesn't even want to get rid of him...

He has options, why would he not make use of them? He decides what's best for himself.

I don't get the talk of "Who's the hell is that kid to think he can choose his team". He actually can.

7-time NBA All-Star OneMoreSucka's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sobeking
    Like lukekarts above just said, the european sports run in a different way... College does not play a significant role in Pro sports, Rubio wasn't drafted to DKV and also, as far as I know, there's chance he might have a better contract there with DKV than with a rookie contract in the NBA...

So tell me, why the heck would he leave the beautiful city of Barcelona, to come to a small city in US, to earn less money???
    If I were him I would really come to US only if to a city as good as Barcelona and to a good team that will give him a prospect of development as a player and with decent coaching...

As far as his potential as a player, do you guys watch a lot of DKV games or you're just basing your opinion on the Olympics?
    Play with better players, improve his overall recognition/fame and give himself a chance to make more money in the future?