Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 09-04-2006, 10:22 AM   #16
craigthomasb
College star

craigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrispbosh4
yea you would have to get his rights first from the wizards, second hes not coming to the nba to play a diminitive role when he makes GOOD money overseas and is one of the best players in the league.

he has said he wants to come to the nba and if mo pete left he would be filling his void, hardly a diminitive role, however i didnt know the wizards had his rights
craigthomasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 10:59 AM   #17
RapsFan
Great college starter

RapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Low
Toronto is still in a building stage. This team is not stacked nor is it a number 1 team, this team is an up and comer still. A lot of people think that our team is completely stacked but it isn't. I agree with Brwnman on this one (in most senses).

I agree also. Our team has solid depth...but we have like 9 new faces don't we? 9 new faces, most haven't played a min. in the NBA, and Rap fans are thinking playoffs? We're not haters, just realistic. We'll be the ones not pissed off and dissapointed later in the year when we're at less then 40 wins and posied to secure a nice 2007 lotto talent. This is a growing year. Guys ripping it up at the WBC means nothing. They may have some more confidence going into training camp but that is about it. The fact remains, in Raptor land, some people think we're stacked. When compared to the rest of the NBA, guys like Garbajosa, Fred Jones, Calderone, Parker, Tucker, Graham would probably be like the 7-12th men on some teams. We have depth, but most is marginal when compared to the rest of the L.

My goals for the season is to improve as a team. Bosh to become a better rebounder and defensive player. TJ to improve his outside shot. To 'deal' with Mo Pete (either re-sign or deal him by mid season). And to have one of Bargs, Jones, Tucker, Graham show signs of becoming a #2-4 option on offense long term (I assume Bargs will be the only one to do so). I would also like to secure a talent in the '07 draft that can fit into the SG/SF position for the Raps long term to team with Bosh/Bargs/TJ to form our foundation. If all of those things happened, I would be off the hook pumped about our season and our future.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 11:16 AM   #18
brwnman

brwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapsFan
I agree also. Our team has solid depth...but we have like 9 new faces don't we? 9 new faces, most haven't played a min. in the NBA, and Rap fans are thinking playoffs? We're not haters, just realistic. We'll be the ones not pissed off and dissapointed later in the year when we're at less then 40 wins and posied to secure a nice 2007 lotto talent. This is a growing year. Guys ripping it up at the WBC means nothing. They may have some more confidence going into training camp but that is about it. The fact remains, in Raptor land, some people think we're stacked. When compared to the rest of the NBA, guys like Garbajosa, Fred Jones, Calderone, Parker, Tucker, Graham would probably be like the 7-12th men on some teams. We have depth, but most is marginal when compared to the rest of the L.

My goals for the season is to improve as a team. Bosh to become a better rebounder and defensive player. TJ to improve his outside shot. To 'deal' with Mo Pete (either re-sign or deal him by mid season). And to have one of Bargs, Jones, Tucker, Graham show signs of becoming a #2-4 option on offense long term (I assume Bargs will be the only one to do so). I would also like to secure a talent in the '07 draft that can fit into the SG/SF position for the Raps long term to team with Bosh/Bargs/TJ to form our foundation. If all of those things happened, I would be off the hook pumped about our season and our future.

I agree with most of what you said except the disappointed part... I know we are not gonna make the playoffs but I still will be disappointed even though I didn't have those expectations... I want the raptors to overachieve like the Memphis Grizzlies and New Orleans, but as J.P. Ricciardi (in reference to the bluejays ofcourse) would say, alot of things have to go right for the Raptors to make the playoffs...
brwnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 11:32 AM   #19
RapsFan
Great college starter

RapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by brwnman
I agree with most of what you said except the disappointed part... I know we are not gonna make the playoffs but I still will be disappointed even though I didn't have those expectations... I want the raptors to overachieve like the Memphis Grizzlies and New Orleans, but as J.P. Ricciardi (in reference to the bluejays ofcourse) would say, alot of things have to go right for the Raptors to make the playoffs...

I want the Raps to overachieve as well, but if they don't think year I am ok with that, as long as some of the other things I said take place. Overachieving and sneaking into the playoffs and getting swept, for me, outside of some extra team revenues, isn't going to do much. I know some people think we'll all of a sudden attract free agents, but in reality that won't happen, plus we don't have cap room. So, I personally won't be dissapointed with all those other positives things going on. We're a young team coming from the basement. You're only dissapointed if you don't meet expectations (and I don't think playoffs are my expectations).
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 01:09 PM   #20
DoubleTech
NBA lottery pick

DoubleTech is a pretty well-respected posterDoubleTech is a pretty well-respected posterDoubleTech is a pretty well-respected posterDoubleTech is a pretty well-respected poster

garbajosa = ownage.

if anything, toronto fans should remark on jorge's leadership capabilities. championship game, best player out due to injury, the rest of the front court in foul trouble, and this guy steps up in a major way to deliver for his country...

i think a guy like garbajosa is underrated simply because no one really notices what makes him great... not his grit, not his versatile scoring, but his leadership and willingness to do whatever it takes to get the job done.

this FIBA championship made me realize just how great our bench and overall team is.
Slokar, Bargnani, Garbajosa, Humphries, Graham, Tucker, Jones, Calderon.

THATS THE BEST BENCH THE RAPTORS HAVE EVER HAD!!!
DoubleTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 01:57 PM   #21
Bourne
Valancais for RoY

Bourne has not been impressing people

I see jorge as a gruff, savvy mofo that rawwwrs louder than the Raptor.
Bourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 03:02 PM   #22
the truth
...since 95

the truth has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Student
J. Garbajosa 38min....20pts...10boards...4assists...3steals now thats an impressive line.

Sounds good but you left out the 38% field goal percentage. He has shot great from 3-point range but terrible from inside the arc. Just something to keep in mind before people start anointing him a star player.
the truth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 09:22 PM   #23
TRapsFan4Lyf
I brick open layups

TRapsFan4Lyf has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by the truth
Sounds good but you left out the 38% field goal percentage. He has shot great from 3-point range but terrible from inside the arc. Just something to keep in mind before people start anointing him a star player.
international game has a closer 3 pnt line than NBA, and we just need him to be a rebounder/hustle player
TRapsFan4Lyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 09:19 AM   #24
huppcap
Local High School Star

huppcap has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleTech
garbajosa = ownage.

if anything, toronto fans should remark on jorge's leadership capabilities. championship game, best player out due to injury, the rest of the front court in foul trouble, and this guy steps up in a major way to deliver for his country...

i think a guy like garbajosa is underrated simply because no one really notices what makes him great... not his grit, not his versatile scoring, but his leadership and willingness to do whatever it takes to get the job done.

this FIBA championship made me realize just how great our bench and overall team is.
Slokar, Bargnani, Garbajosa, Humphries, Graham, Tucker, Jones, Calderon.

THATS THE BEST BENCH THE RAPTORS HAVE EVER HAD!!!

Best Raptor bench ever?

That is a strong statement considering 4 of these guys have yet to play in the NBA, 2 have only one season under their belt (and have been inconsistent at the best) and 1 has 2 years with little court time. Jones is the only one who has played several seasons with significant minutes.

And all these guys have never played one NBA game as a team together; not even practised all together yet.

I would say their best bench ever was in the year they made it to the second round of the playoffs.

This bench has potential but let's wait for a couple of years and then that statement might be true.

Last edited by huppcap : 09-05-2006 at 09:47 AM.
huppcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 09:45 AM   #25
huppcap
Local High School Star

huppcap has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat
imagine what it would have been like if the american team actually knew team play.

do you think Garbajosa could be in the starting line up for the raptors? at small forward of course. as there is no place left.

what do you all think?

There is an outside possibility; certainly if he played like he did in the championship game but I would say most likely not. Can't expect that every game. Although he can run his overall game is not condusive to playing 30 -35 minutes per game to the way the Raptors want to play (up and down the court high tempo game).

Let's remember that this guy is replacing Matt Bonner's hustle and hardwork. He adds a more athleticism, better footwork, better ball-handling skills and driving skills and toughness than Bonner. I don't think he is a better 3-pt shooter than Bonner. Bonner had a quick release whereas Garbojosa's is slower. And the 3pt line is further out than he is accustom to.

Bonner was not bonafide starter so I don't think Garbojosa will be starting either.
huppcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 10:47 AM   #26
Gregsguys
Good High School Starter

Gregsguys has an OK reputation so far
Default Huge Fan

I am a huge raps fan but still think playoffs will be iffy this year. We do have the deepest team ever for the Raps but the only shot the raps have is to USE THE WHOLE BENCH. If Sam can run and gun 12 deep they may wear out a lot of teams and pick up a few extra wins. I can see the raps losing a lot of first quarters and spending the last half of games trying to catch up to some wiped out teams.......could be a lot of fun to watch!!!!
Gregsguys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 12:37 PM   #27
DaveM123
I brick open layups

DaveM123 has an OK reputation so far

We are in the East! Anything can happen! Playoffs are not a reach! If you erase the horrible start we had last year, we would have been right in the mix to make the playoffs. This team is better than last years. Yes there are alot of new faces, but the main nucleus Bosh & Mo-Pete is still there not to mention players like Calderon with another year of experience and then you have all those players that were useless and taking up space that are gone now. (ie: Eric Williams, Loren Woods, Hoffa, etc.) There will be growing pains of course. But making the playoffs in the east is not unimagineable!
DaveM123 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: