Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Who is the better scorer (short list of players)

Quote Originally Posted by greatest-ever
    You can't do what ifs here. And even so, still no. He still wouldn't have the scoring arsenal of a Harden.
    Harden's scoring "arsenal" is basically his 3pt shooting and driving for fouls. That's it.

Again, I didn't say that Klay is better than Harden. Never did. In fact, I've already said thrice that Harden > Klay.

Quote Originally Posted by aj1987
    Harden's scoring "arsenal" is basically his 3pt shooting and driving for fouls. That's it.

Again, I didn't say that Klay is better than Harden. Never did. In fact, I've already said thrice that Harden > Klay.
    Harden also has that step-back mid range shot and he can also drive in the lane for the lay in. Sure it seems like he only goes to the rim to try and get free throws, but other times its just a simple layup over the defender.

Quote Originally Posted by Im so nba'd out
    Monta Ellis or Russell Westbrook?

Steph Curry or Kevin Durant

LeBron James or Carmelo Anthony

James Harden or Klay Thompson

Anthony Davis or Blake Griffin
    Westbrook
    KD
    Melo
    Harden
    Davis

When it comes to Melo vs. Bron, I prefer Melo's scoring skillset and willingness to take over. I understand Bron's shoots a better FG%. But I think a lot of that is because Bron is a point forward. He has a great gauge of what to do when. I think Durant and Melo with their size and scoring skillsets present the most difficult matchups.

Quote Originally Posted by bizil
    Westbrook
    KD
    Melo
    Harden
    Davis

When it comes to Melo vs. Bron, I prefer Melo's scoring skillset and willingness to take over. I understand Bron's shoots a better FG%. But I think a lot of that is because Bron is a point forward. He has a great gauge of what to do when. I think Durant and Melo with their size and scoring skillsets present the most difficult matchups.
    LeBron scores 2 PPG more than Melo over their careers. Outside their rookie years, LeBron NEVER scored under 25 PPG. Melo did it thrice. LeBron scored 30+ a game twice. Melo NEVER did it. Yeah, LeBron is the better scorer and it's definitely not even close.

LeBron scores 2 PPG more than Melo over their careers. Outside their rookie years, LeBron NEVER scored under 25 PPG. Melo did it thrice. LeBron scored 30+ a game twice. Melo NEVER did it. Yeah, LeBron is the better scorer and it's definitely not even close.
    I put them on the same tier of scoring prowess honestly. But THE TIEBREAKER for me is Melo's scoring skillset and willingness to takeover scoring. For you to say ITS NOT CLOSE is an ignorant statement to make.

As I pointed out before, Lebron is a point forward. He has the ball in his hands more than Melo to begin with. If u think Bron is the better scorer THEN FINE! I wouldn't argue too hard at all. But in terms of a SCORING ASSASSIN, give me Melo over Bron.

And u can't go by PPG all the time either. If u know the game, U SHOULD KNOW who the true alpha dogs are. Just to be considered one, it means u are in elite company. From that group, it can be a matter of taste in terms of who is the best scorer.

Quote Originally Posted by Im so nba'd out
    Monta Ellis or Russell Westbrook?

Steph Curry or Kevin Durant **

LeBron James or Carmelo Anthony

James Harden or Klay Thompson

Anthony Davis or Blake Griffin

** tied for best in the world

I put them on the same tier of scoring prowess honestly. But THE TIEBREAKER for me is Melo's scoring skillset and willingness to takeover scoring. For you to say ITS NOT CLOSE is an ignorant statement to make.

As I pointed out before, Lebron is a point forward. He has the ball in his hands more than Melo to begin with. If u think Bron is the better scorer THEN FINE! I wouldn't argue too hard at all. But in terms of a SCORING ASSASSIN, give me Melo over Bron.

And u can't go by PPG all the time either. If u know the game, U SHOULD KNOW who the true alpha dogs are. Just to be considered one, it means u are in elite company. From that group, it can be a matter of taste in terms of who is the best scorer.
    You want to compare clutch stats?

'14:

James - 42.8 PPG @ 48.4/31/84 9.5 RPG 5.8 APG
    Melo - 36.4 PPG @ 35.5/33.2/92 10.1 RPG 3.9 APG

'13:

James - 38.7 PPG @ 44.2/28/76 15.2 RPG 14.9 APG
    Melo - 38.2 PPG @ 37.7/29.4/86 12.9 RPG 0.0 APG

'12:

James - 33.2 PPG @ 38.6/27.3/68 15.1 RPG 9.3 APG
    Melo - 43.6 PPG @ 34.4/33.0/73 12. RPG 3.4 APG

'11:

James - 45.1 PPG @ 43.6/23.8/84 11.2 RPG 4.9 APG
    Melo - 34.2 PPG @ 41.7/50.0/81 12.5 RPG 1.3 APG

'10:

James - 66.1 PPG @ 48.8/34/80 15.9 RPG 8.3 APG
    Melo - 47 PPG @ 42.7/14.3/87 9.5 RPG 1.6 APG

'09:

James - 55.9 PPG @ 55.6/42.1/85 14.3 RPG 12.6 APG
    Melo - 54.4 PPG @ 56.5/58.3/82 7.6 RPG 2.9 APG

Looking at the clutch scoring, RS scoring, Playoff scoring, and their efficiencies, it's pretty safe to conclude that LeBron is a MUCH better scorer than Melo. Heck, LeBron's scoring yields results as well.

Scoring assassin?

60+ Point Games:

James - 1
    Melo - 1

50+ Point Games:

James - 10
    Melo - 4

40+ Point Games:

James - 67
    Melo - 39

30+ Point Games:

James - 425
    Melo - 270

20+ Point Games:

James - 889
    Melo - 685

Seasons with 25+ PPG:

James - 11
    Melo - 7

Seasons with 30+ PPG:

James - 2
    Melo - 0

RS Scoring and Efficiency:

James - 27.4 PPG on 58.1% TS
    Melo - 25.2 PPG on 54.6% TS

Postseason Scoring and Efficiency:

James - 28 PPG on 57.8% TS
    Melo - 25.7 PPG on 51.3% TS

Facts:
    1. LeBron averages more points than Melo in the RS and PO's.
    2. LeBron is more efficient than Melo in the RS and significantly more in the PO's.
    3. LeBron is a better clutch player than Melo.

The playmaking that LeBron provides on top of his scoring is just the icing on the proverbial cake.

So, how is Anthony a better scorer than LeBron?

#1. WB. Both of them are low IQ scorers and take a ton of dumb shots.
    #2. Durant and it's not even close.
    #3. LeBron and it's not even close.
    #4. Close, but I'll take Haren.
    #5. Close, but I'll take BG.
    Dan Haren

Quote Originally Posted by LiLharvard
    Dan Haren
    I think I've made it pretty obvious that I hate that bearded ******.

You want to compare clutch stats?

'14:

James - 42.8 PPG @ 48.4/31/84 9.5 RPG 5.8 APG
    Melo - 36.4 PPG @ 35.5/33.2/92 10.1 RPG 3.9 APG

'13:

James - 38.7 PPG @ 44.2/28/76 15.2 RPG 14.9 APG
    Melo - 38.2 PPG @ 37.7/29.4/86 12.9 RPG 0.0 APG

'12:

James - 33.2 PPG @ 38.6/27.3/68 15.1 RPG 9.3 APG
    Melo - 43.6 PPG @ 34.4/33.0/73 12. RPG 3.4 APG

'11:

James - 45.1 PPG @ 43.6/23.8/84 11.2 RPG 4.9 APG
    Melo - 34.2 PPG @ 41.7/50.0/81 12.5 RPG 1.3 APG

'10:

James - 66.1 PPG @ 48.8/34/80 15.9 RPG 8.3 APG
    Melo - 47 PPG @ 42.7/14.3/87 9.5 RPG 1.6 APG

'09:

James - 55.9 PPG @ 55.6/42.1/85 14.3 RPG 12.6 APG
    Melo - 54.4 PPG @ 56.5/58.3/82 7.6 RPG 2.9 APG

Looking at the clutch scoring, RS scoring, Playoff scoring, and their efficiencies, it's pretty safe to conclude that LeBron is a MUCH better scorer than Melo. Heck, LeBron's scoring yields results as well.

Scoring assassin?

60+ Point Games:

James - 1
    Melo - 1

50+ Point Games:

James - 10
    Melo - 4

40+ Point Games:

James - 67
    Melo - 39

30+ Point Games:

James - 425
    Melo - 270

20+ Point Games:

James - 889
    Melo - 685

Seasons with 25+ PPG:

James - 11
    Melo - 7

Seasons with 30+ PPG:

James - 2
    Melo - 0

RS Scoring and Efficiency:

James - 27.4 PPG on 58.1% TS
    Melo - 25.2 PPG on 54.6% TS

Postseason Scoring and Efficiency:

James - 28 PPG on 57.8% TS
    Melo - 25.7 PPG on 51.3% TS

Facts:
    2. LeBron is more efficient than Melo in the RS and significantly more in the PO's.

The playmaking that LeBron provides on top of his scoring is just the icing on the proverbial cake.

So, how is Anthony a better scorer than LeBron?
    With all the shit u said, the fact remains that Melo has a better scoring skillset. And Melo is still QUICKER to take a game by the throat scoring. I NEVER said Bron didn't have the same capabilities to do it. I STATED that I prefer Melo's way of taking over a game scoring over LeBron.

I put them on the same tier of scoring dominance. As I stated before, when u are talking guys like Bron, Durant, Melo,and Harden it can come down to a matter of taste. Bron is CLEARLY the best player in the world.

But as far as pure scoring goes, I like the approach and skillset of Melo. I don't have a problem with anybody taking Bron over Melo scoring wise. BUT to say Bron is a better scorer BY FAR is a huge mistake. The analyst on TNT, ESPN, and NBA TV would tell u the same thing.
    Last edited by bizil; 04-08-2015 at 02:11 AM.

With all the shit u said, the fact remains that Melo has a better scoring skillset. And Melo is still QUICKER to take a game by the throat scoring. I NEVER said Bron didn't have the same capabilities to do it. I STATED that I prefer Melo's way of taking over a game scoring over LeBron.

I put them on the same tier of scoring dominance. As I stated before, when u are talking guys like Bron, Durant, Melo,and Harden it can come down to a matter of taste. Bron is CLEARLY the best player in the world. But as far as pure scoring goes, I like the approach and skillset of Melo.
    Why does his skillset matter if he can't score with it? Clearly it isn't a refined skill.
    Melo isn't quicker to take a game by the throat. All the stats he posted prove that. Bron is better in the clutch.

I put them on the same tier of scoring dominance. As I stated before, when u are talking guys like Bron, Durant, Melo,and Harden it can come down to a matter of taste. Bron is CLEARLY the best player in the world.

But as far as pure scoring goes, I like the approach and skillset of Melo. I don't have a problem with anybody taking Bron over Melo scoring wise. BUT to say Bron is a better scorer BY FAR is a huge mistake. The analyst on TNT, ESPN, and NBA TV would tell u the same thing.
    What plowking said. What good is his scoring skill set, if he's not on LeBron's level as a scorer? LeBron with his "inferior" skill set is clearly a better scorer than Melo. The objective of a scorer is to put up X number of points as efficiently as possibly. LeBron does this better than Carmelo. Hence, LeBron is a better scorer than Melo.

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    Why does his skillset matter if he can't score with it? Clearly it isn't a refined skill.
    Melo isn't quicker to take a game by the throat. All the stats he posted prove that. Bron is better in the clutch.
    Clearly Melo puts in MAJOR WORK SCORING! His numbers prove that out. As I stated earlier, it's a matter of taste. The question was who do I think is the better scorer. And for me, Melo's scoring skillset is a deciding factor. Bron is a great passer who is also a great scorer.

Bron is a point forward and really looks to get his teammates involved. Sure Bron can take over a game and dominate scoring. BUT Melo's approach is score first. Once u couple that with his scoring skillset, I prefer Melo to Bron scoring.

Melo's mind is geared to DOMINATE scoring first. Lebron's mentality is much different EVEN THOUGH he's a dominant scorer.

And FOR THE LAST TIME, I have Bron and Melo on the same tier in terms of scoring. BUT Melo's style of scoring is to dominate that way FIRST AND FOREMOST! And he does it from all over the court. And for me, I use that as a tiebreaker.

Bron's style is much more point forward, great defense, and STILL DOMINATE scoring. For all intents and purposes, Bron is like a mix of Pippen and Dr. J at the SF. By that I mean his calling card is the epic versatility of Scottie Pippen. BUT he's also a dominant freak athlete scorer like a Dr. J to go with it.

What plowking said. What good is his scoring skill set, if he's not on LeBron's level as a scorer? LeBron with his "inferior" skill set is clearly a better scorer than Melo. The objective of a scorer is to put up X number of points as efficiently as possibly. LeBron does this better than Carmelo. Hence, LeBron is a better scorer than Melo.
    Once again, I have Bron and Melo on the same tier of scoring. They put up similar numbers in their careers. Steve Nash was a more efficient scorer than Allen Iverson. Was he a better scorer? HELL NO!! The reason why is because Iverson scored many more points. And as a one on one player, more unstoppable than Nash.

A lot of it had to do with Iverson's mentality. He was an icon who looked to dominate scoring AT ALL COSTS! Nash was a pure PG who would dominate late if he had to. But he would be more content getting 18-20 PPG and 11-12 dimes.

When the PPG or scoring ability is close like a Melo and Bron, I really think it comes down to a matter of taste. Melo is simply going to keep his foot on the gas more scoring thoughout the game than Bron will. Bron will get just as many points and have clutch moments.

But typically, Bron is playing in a point forward role and picking his spots to dominate. And THAT's why he shoots a higher percentage. It's not because of lack of ability on Melo's part. It's because some great scorers DO catch a case of hero ball and put up bad shots. Bron isn't that kind of scorer BECAUSE he always looking to drop dimes and make others better.

Some of u UNDERESTIMATE the scoring skillset and scoring mentality aspects. Stats don't factor in those two things often times. When the scoring numbers are close like Bron and Melo, it comes down to a matter of taste. I've heard Kobe Bryant HIMSELF say Melo was his toughest cover in the league in the last few years.. That right here carries A LOT OF WEIGHT!! In this clip, Kobe says EXACTLY what I've been saying to u and others on here! These are the type of things I base my arguments on!

https://youtu.be/koVnmV6JN48
    Last edited by bizil; 04-08-2015 at 04:19 AM.

Once again, I have Bron and Melo on the same tier of scoring. They put up similar numbers in their careers. Steve Nash was a more efficient scorer than Allen Iverson. Was he a better scorer? HELL NO!! The reason why is because Iverson scored many more points. And as a one on one player, more unstoppable than Nash.

A lot of it had to do with Iverson's mentality. He was an icon who looked to dominate scoring AT ALL COSTS! Nash was a pure PG who would dominate late if he had to. But he would be more content getting 18-20 PPG and 11-12 dimes.

When the PPG or scoring ability is close like a Melo and Bron, I really think it comes down to a matter of taste. Melo is simply going to keep his foot on the gas more scoring thoughout the game than Bron will. Bron will get just as many points and have clutch moments.

But typically, Bron is playing in a point forward role and picking his spots to dominate. And THAT's why he shoots a higher percentage. It's not because of lack of ability on Melo's part. It's because some great scorers DO catch a case of hero ball and put up bad shots. Bron isn't that kind of scorer BECAUSE he always looking to drop dimes and make others better.

Some of u UNDERESTIMATE the scoring skillset and scoring mentality aspects. Stats don't factor in those two things often times. When the scoring numbers are close like Bron and Melo, it comes down to a matter of taste. I've heard Kobe Bryant HIMSELF say Melo was his toughest cover in the league in the last few years.. That right here carries A LOT OF WEIGHT!! In this clip, Kobe says EXACTLY what I've been saying to u and others on here! These are the type of things I base my arguments on!

https://youtu.be/koVnmV6JN48

What are you even talking about anymore? In this instance, Nash = LeBron and Iverson = Melo? Well, there's a problem with your logic. LeBron scores MORE points than Melo.

ALL NUMBERS [COLOR="Red"]CLUTCH[/COLOR], RS, PO's, etc. POINT TO LEBRON BEING A BETTER SCORER.

LeBron scores [COLOR="red"]more points than Melo[/COLOR] on much better efficiency. [COLOR="red"]He does it in the crunch as well[/COLOR].

LeBron's scoring provides RESULTS. Melo just doesn't have the "killer instinct" that you claim he has.

Again,

Facts:

The objective of a scorer is to put up X number of points as efficiently as possibly. LeBron does this better than Carmelo. Hence, LeBron is a better scorer than Melo.

For all of Melo's skill set, he can't match LeBron's scoring production.

If you're claiming that Melo is "mentally strong", check his PO production.