Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Arrow Best kitchen knives?

I'm in the market for some nice kitchen knives - any chefs-wannabes in here?

I'm thinking about the Global GS series. I like the design (my insights end there).

What are good brands? Or, rather, what are brands that have worked well for you?

Banned

Default Re: Best kitchen knives?

I was a chef for a few years. Global is very nice and if you want to see some good knives go to Williams Sonoma. It can get very very pricey.

Also, I am sort of a knife collector, not kitchen knives, but the same applies here. You want to go with German or Japanese since these two countries produce the best steel in the world. So it's obvious you want a knife from one of them.

Wusthof are Miyabi are great knives and I would get the basic chef's knife. They are the most versatile. Don't get conned into buying an entire set that will cost thousands.

Quote Originally Posted by 9erempiree
    I was a chef for a few years. Global is very nice and if you want to see some good knives go to Williams Sonoma. It can get very very pricey.

Also, I am sort of a knife collector, not kitchen knives, but the same applies here. You want to go with German or Japanese since these two countries produce the best steel in the world. So it's obvious you want a knife from one of them.

Wusthof are Miyabi are great knives and I would get the basic chef's knife. They are the most versatile. Don't get conned into buying an entire set that will cost thousands.
    The only thing you are, is full of shit.

There are several good brands. You need to find one that feels right in your hand. Buy a used on on Ebay and have it sharpened or do it yourself.

I use a Global 8" for pretty much 95% of my cooking, but I have a Shun, Wusthof, and Henckel; they're all nice but I don't use them much.

Banned

Here's a good one....

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/4438289/?catalogId=13&sku=4438289&cm_ven=Google_PLA&cm_cat =Shopping&cm_pla=default&cm_ite=default&kwid=produ ctads-adid^46530014503-device^c-plaid^110764948423-sku^4438289-adType^PLA&gclid=CPTgo9-Kg88CFYYBaQodx4EP3Q

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces

There are several good brands. You need to find one that feels right in your hand. Buy a used on on Ebay and have it sharpened or do it yourself.

I use a Global 8" for pretty much 95% of my cooking, but I have a Shun, Wusthof, and Henckel; they're all nice but I don't use them much.

Says you need to find one that feels good in your hand but tells the OP to buy on Ebay while I'm telling him to physically go to Williams Sonoma to try them out.

Does the fact you use it 95% of the time mean you find it superior to the others? And possibly for reasons other than how it fits your hand personally? Feed my confirmation bias, here.

Here's a good one....

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/4438289/?catalogId=13&sku=4438289&cm_ven=Google_PLA&cm_cat =Shopping&cm_pla=default&cm_ite=default&kwid=produ ctads-adid^46530014503-device^c-plaid^110764948423-sku^4438289-adType^PLA&gclid=CPTgo9-Kg88CFYYBaQodx4EP3Q
    omg those thins are beautiful

Tolerant Liberals

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bourne
    omg those thins are beautiful
    I was just throwing that out there and don't recommend you purchasing it due to price. Just thought it was nice ASF.

Anyways, Global is a very good knife. You want quality without breaking the bank and it should last you a lifetime.

I was just throwing that out there and don't recommend you purchasing it due to price. Just thought it was nice ASF.

Anyways, Global is a very good knife. You want quality without breaking the bank and it should last you a lifetime.
    What if you put them in the dishwasher? do people just say that is bad or does it actually ruin them?

(wonder if lifetime warranty applies to dishwasher effects...)

Banned

What if you put them in the dishwasher? do people just say that is bad or does it actually ruin them?

(wonder if lifetime warranty applies to dishwasher effects...)
    No. The steel can withstand the chemicals even though I won't do it.

Run it over with sponge and soap and put it away.

I don't use a dishwasher unless i have tons of dishes. I clean as i go when i cook. Old habit from worling in a restaurant that i do at home.

Good college starter TommyGriffin's Avatar

Great advice. I always pegged you for someone who has a passion for food.

Does the fact you use it 95% of the time mean you find it superior to the others? And possibly for reasons other than how it fits your hand personally? Feed my confirmation bias, here.
    The feel. The quality on all those brands is pretty much the same. You're looking for the best balance and size for your hands. I don't even use paring knives; I'll mince garlic or prep strawberries with the tip of the 8" Global. I debone full birds with it, trim legs of lamb, prep veggies, mince garlic, everything with that knife.

Only other knife I use regularly is a bread knife because you need a serrated edge. My bread knife is a Global too, but I prefer my brother's Wusthof, although not enough to drop another 100 on one. Bread knives are also nice for tomatoes if your chefs knife is getting dull, really large roasts, and cutting through sandwiches.

Made that high school varsity squad Solidape's Avatar

My 2 cents. I am a bit of a knife fanatic and there is nothing better than cooking with a sharp knife. It is horrible when you go to someone else's house and use their dull knives, I offer to sharpen them.

I did a lot of research, for the best bang for the dollar here are my picks:

1. Somewhat pricey but not too much: Mac knives, one of the best Japanese knives you can get for not that much money, bias check, I have some and love them, they are super sharp and light. Japanese knives with western look.

2. Low price: Victorinox knives are a pretty good deal for the price and will perform 90% of the Mac knives, at least my experience, I have one but don't really reach for it when I cook.

3. Dirt cheap knives: Kiwi brand knives. I know y'all think who, what? For the price, around $10, it is the best knife I own for daily use. Despite having a bunch of Mac knives, 99% of the time I use this knife. Where do you get them? Go to your local Thai, Vietnamese or other south east Asian store and they will have it. This is the one I have had for 13 years and continue using it, easy to sharpen and works better than Victorinox, I would not bother with them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008Q..._t1_B001FEJ0WO