Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2016, 10:58 AM   #16
dunksby
NBA Superstar
 
dunksby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 14,783
Default Re: WTF is an anti-Columbus day protest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurple
because america would have never been found had it not been for Columbus. lol


he wasnt even first there
You can apply that logic to anything, somebody would do it, well that someone is Columbus, you are ridiculous, trying to take away what he did by giving credit to a hypothetical person who would have done what Columbus actually did.
dunksby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 11:03 AM   #17
CelticBaller
You mad?
 
CelticBaller's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: CT, GOATLAND
Posts: 17,611
Default Re: WTF is an anti-Columbus day protest?

It's hilarious really, like early Americans didn't slaughter, brought diseases and forced Native Americans to move out of their land

If you're anti Columbus you're anti America
CelticBaller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 11:13 AM   #18
gigantes
Tor Johnson.
 
gigantes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Under Iraq, beside a tree.
Posts: 13,520
Default Re: WTF is an anti-Columbus day protest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticBaller
It's hilarious really, like early Americans didn't slaughter, brought diseases and forced Native Americans to move out of their land
other than the aztecs and the incas, americans had a pretty great arrangement before columbus came along.

the various tribes could do their thing, there was plenty of land and resources, and the whole thing was sustainable as a mofo, unlike today.
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 11:21 AM   #19
Bosnian Sajo
Why?
 
Bosnian Sajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The ISH Grim Reaper
Posts: 9,340
Default Re: WTF is an anti-Columbus day protest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing
That's an unfair assessment of a different moment in time.

Back then he was labeled a hero, an adventurer, an explorer.


Just because society changes over time does not make our past any less credible or acceptable than our current society today.



LMAO, you guys really don't know shit, do you??


Can you tell me why the great "hero" Columbus was jailed in Spain, then? Why would they charge a HERO with war crimes?
Bosnian Sajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 11:24 AM   #20
Bosnian Sajo
Why?
 
Bosnian Sajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The ISH Grim Reaper
Posts: 9,340
Default Re: WTF is an anti-Columbus day protest?

It's shocking how easily persuaded some of you are, even if you have no knowledge in the subject of discussion, you will STILL voice an opinion just because you can. No matter if there is no research, knowledge, fact or reasoning behind what you say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker
Agreed. It's irresponsible to judge someone from over 500 years with the moral lens of today.

Indigenous lifestyles are absolutely to be respected but they aren't innocent in all of this.


What do you mean by that?
Bosnian Sajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 11:39 AM   #21
Hawker
Repeal FATCA
 
Hawker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 17,852
Default Re: WTF is an anti-Columbus day protest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosnian Sajo
It's shocking how easily persuaded some of you are, even if you have no knowledge in the subject of discussion, you will STILL voice an opinion just because you can. No matter if there is no research, knowledge, fact or reasoning behind what you say.




What do you mean by that?

Native American tribes wouldn't raid each other or fight over territory?

This fact seem to get lost when white imperialism comes up.

I agree with gigantes that the lifestyle was very sustainable and is probably the best way to combat climate change.
Hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 11:58 AM   #22
Bosnian Sajo
Why?
 
Bosnian Sajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The ISH Grim Reaper
Posts: 9,340
Default Re: WTF is an anti-Columbus day protest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker
Native American tribes wouldn't raid each other or fight over territory?

This fact seem to get lost when white imperialism comes up.

I agree with gigantes that the lifestyle was very sustainable and is probably the best way to combat climate change.

How does that make what Columbus and company did acceptable?? They gave the natives disease infested blankets, hw can you even compare that to anything?


And no, it is not a guarantee that the Native's would of killed themselves off over territory...dumbest thing I've ever heard. "if we didn't kill them off, they would of just done it to themselves" And you claim it as a fact Jesssuussss, how did you become so smart is all I wanna know. I bet you're an atheist too, right?
Bosnian Sajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 11:58 AM   #23
East River Livn'
Dunking on everybody in the park
 
East River Livn''s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 684
Default Re: WTF is an anti-Columbus day protest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
nah... just calling out a major piece of shit for being a major piece of shit.

just because a bunch of other assholes came along and benefited from him doesn't change any of that.

at the same time-- gotta give him props for having some king kong-sized balls and changing history in a whole bunch of ways.

But he's partially right. People tend to look for the faults of white heroes while ignoring the faults of heroes of color. MLK was a self described man of God who spouted of morality to the masses yet frequently visited prostitutes. Nelson Mandela was a terrorist, Ghandi was an incestuous misogynist who harbored some racist views. We are expected to look for faults of our white heroes, but it is taboo even considered racist by many to point out the faults of non white heroes.
East River Livn' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 12:00 PM   #24
Bosnian Sajo
Why?
 
Bosnian Sajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The ISH Grim Reaper
Posts: 9,340
Default Re: WTF is an anti-Columbus day protest?

Not saying they didn't fight over territory or have wars, of course they did...but they for sure (FACT!!) wouldn't of reduced their numbers from hundreds of millions to 1.something million the way Columbus and others did.
Bosnian Sajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 12:07 PM   #25
gigantes
Tor Johnson.
 
gigantes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Under Iraq, beside a tree.
Posts: 13,520
Default Re: WTF is an anti-Columbus day protest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by East River Livn'
But he's partially right. People tend to look for the faults of white heroes while ignoring the faults of heroes of color. MLK was a self described man of God who spouted of morality to the masses yet frequently visited prostitutes. Nelson Mandela was a terrorist, Ghandi was an incestuous misogynist who harbored some racist views. We are expected to look for faults of our white heroes, but it is taboo even considered racist by many to point out the faults of non white heroes.
the KMFDM principle.

also, turkeys are everywhere.
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 12:08 PM   #26
UK2K
NBA Legend
 
UK2K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 16,715
Default Re: WTF is an anti-Columbus day protest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosnian Sajo
How does that make what Columbus and company did acceptable?? They gave the natives disease infested blankets, hw can you even compare that to anything?


And no, it is not a guarantee that the Native's would of killed themselves off over territory...dumbest thing I've ever heard. "if we didn't kill them off, they would of just done it to themselves" And you claim it as a fact Jesssuussss, how did you become so smart is all I wanna know. I bet you're an atheist too, right?

Because that sort of thing was pretty ****ing common 500 years ago...

'But how could Native's cut out the heart of a living person and eat it?'

Because... that also was pretty ****ing common 500 years ago.

You understand we live in different times, right?
UK2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 12:13 PM   #27
Hawker
Repeal FATCA
 
Hawker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 17,852
Default Re: WTF is an anti-Columbus day protest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosnian Sajo
How does that make what Columbus and company did acceptable?? They gave the natives disease infested blankets, hw can you even compare that to anything?


And no, it is not a guarantee that the Native's would of killed themselves off over territory...dumbest thing I've ever heard. "if we didn't kill them off, they would of just done it to themselves" And you claim it as a fact Jesssuussss, how did you become so smart is all I wanna know. I bet you're an atheist too, right?

Is it fact that Europeans gave disease infected blankets right off the bet or were just simply exposed to it through normal means?

They had no natural immunity to these diseases like Europeans did. It was hardly intentional but unfortunate. I mean, how could they really have known that was going to happen?
Hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 12:14 PM   #28
tpols
we already won
 
tpols's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 18,904
Default Re: WTF is an anti-Columbus day protest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosnian Sajo
How does that make what Columbus and company did acceptable?? They gave the natives disease infested blankets, hw can you even compare that to anything?


And no, it is not a guarantee that the Native's would of killed themselves off over territory...dumbest thing I've ever heard. "if we didn't kill them off, they would of just done it to themselves" And you claim it as a fact Jesssuussss, how did you become so smart is all I wanna know. I bet you're an atheist too, right?


every civilization to ever exist has conquered lands and removed others.. that's life for every thing
tpols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 12:20 PM   #29
Real Men Wear Green
Please clap.
 
Real Men Wear Green's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 22,266
Default Re: WTF is an anti-Columbus day protest?

I'm not going to bother to protest but I certainly don't celebrate Columbus. As has been outlined, he was an asshole. Would we have the exact same USA if he had never existed? No. But that doesn't mean we have to celebrate him when we know he was a vile human being.
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 12:21 PM   #30
Bosnian Sajo
Why?
 
Bosnian Sajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The ISH Grim Reaper
Posts: 9,340
Default Re: WTF is an anti-Columbus day protest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpols
every civilization to ever exist has conquered lands and removed others.. that's life for every thing

I'm not even gonna get started arguing.


You right man, genocide is the way of life for us humans, it's the way we conquer land. It's fair game. What the Serbs did to us Bosnians, it's normal to kill men, women, and children for land. No problems. If hitler was killing Jews for their land, that too would of been fair game.


Thanks for showing me the right way homie, that's just life.
Bosnian Sajo is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:04 AM.




NBA BASKETBALL FORUM KEY LINKS:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
Search Site

FOLLOW US
Twitter
Facebook
















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy