Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 06-17-2008, 03:59 PM   #16
Sekman
Great young streetballer

Default Re: A couple of Warriors are available for backup slots or possibly starting position

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Funk
Parker is a better scorer than Kapono.

Somewhat agree... if playing one on one. During a game of 10 players and 2 teams, I think Kapono's catch and shoot off screens, and backdoor cutters, are as effective as AP's ability to create shot. We cannot rely on AP, whose a veteran and his ability will decline with age. Kapono, on the otherhand, should be getting better from last year and reaching the peak of his career (I have a feeling that he will have some new moves to show us this coming year ).

If we are thinking about getting rid of AP, this year would be a good year as I predict his value will go down significantly next year.
Sekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 04:16 PM   #17
bballnoob
Decent college freshman

Default Re: A couple of Warriors are available for backup slots or possibly starting position

Barring an an influx of offensive plays ( ) don't see Kapono adding anything more to his game next season. He's already a savvy player who pretty much already knows how to look for his own shots.

As far as Parkers value goes, he's probably more valuable as an expirer now as the market for 30 something SG's isn't really in demand.
bballnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 05:23 PM   #18
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekman
Somewhat agree... if playing one on one. During a game of 10 players and 2 teams, I think Kapono's catch and shoot off screens, and backdoor cutters, are as effective as AP's ability to create shot. We cannot rely on AP, whose a veteran and his ability will decline with age. Kapono, on the otherhand, should be getting better from last year and reaching the peak of his career (I have a feeling that he will have some new moves to show us this coming year ).

If we are thinking about getting rid of AP, this year would be a good year as I predict his value will go down significantly next year.

The only part of Kapono's offense that is better than Parker's is his shot and that is a narrow gap as Parker is also a deadly shooter.

Parker is the clear winner in every other category.
Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 06:00 PM   #19
Sekman
Great young streetballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Funk
The only part of Kapono's offense that is better than Parker's is his shot and that is a narrow gap as Parker is also a deadly shooter.

Parker is the clear winner in every other category.

Agreed for 2007/2008...

- I am just looking ahead to 2008/2009, and I think Kapono's development will be going up versus down for AP.

- AP's shot selections were not the greatest.. perhaps with Kapono's lack of creativity, better shot selections will be taken and benefit raptors (cuz he's a pure shooter)

- other than the two points above, I agree that AP is a better player than Kapono... my take is still to start Kapono at SG if we get a really good defender at SF.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:41 PM   #20
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Kapono at the 2 means some of the worst defense you'll see in the NBA. He's not quick enough to prevent dribble penetration from any average or better 2-guard in the NBA. He'll either get into foul trouble quickly or give up easy score after easy score.

Kapono is an SF who shouldn't be playing any more than 15 minutes per game unless you have a really good presence in the paint. And the Raptors don't have that.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 07:08 PM   #21
Sekman
Great young streetballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
Kapono at the 2 means some of the worst defense you'll see in the NBA. He's not quick enough to prevent dribble penetration from any average or better 2-guard in the NBA. He'll either get into foul trouble quickly or give up easy score after easy score.

Kapono is an SF who shouldn't be playing any more than 15 minutes per game unless you have a really good presence in the paint. And the Raptors don't have that.

IMO, you comment about "worst defense you'll see in the NBA" is debatable..

"JK currently has a stop percentage of .524 _ which means 52.4% of the individual defensive possessions he's faced with, he provides a defensive stop. His defensive rating (points allowed per 100 possessions) is 97.7, and the team's is 95.9. So he's barely above the team average in this case, and since 8.8 points per 100 possessions better than the league average of last year." --> some comments I stole from another site...

I am not trying to say that Kapono is a good defender, but judging from 2007/2008 year, he has not been a liability (don't remember seeing him skooled, or don't get back on D, or does not rotate during double teams)

And again, my initial point was IF we get a good defender like Pietrus at SF (more defensive than offensive minded), I would START Kapono at SG over AP (not playing JK the entire game).. for the sake of balance
Old 06-17-2008, 10:48 PM   #22
RapsFan
Great college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo

This is so true...which makes using the ENTIRE MLE on Kapono just disgusting.

If we got Pietrus, he starts at the 3 and I think you start AP at the 2, just to give us more on both sides. However, if we go into next season with AP and Pistrus as our starting 2/3, we're in trouble, unless we have a sick C.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: