Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Brooklyn Nets Forum

Brooklyn Nets Forum Brooklyn Nets message board - Brooklyn Nets forum

Old 04-09-2010, 12:21 PM   #1
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Default Coaching Options

I made the same thread in the Sixers forum. Only difference is I'm putting Mo Cheeks here instead of Lawrence Frank.

Byron Scott
Jeff Van Gundy
Avery Johnson
Doug Collins
Tom Thibodeau (Boston assistant)
Mike Budenholzer (SA assistant)
Dwayne Casey
Chris Ford
Sam Mitchell
Mo Cheeks
Paul Silas
Mike Dunleavy

Name other guys or discuss someone on the list you might be interested in.
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 05:45 PM   #2
5 Star
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Default Re: Coaching Options

I still like Avery. He is the only one that could get Dirk to play a little defense and his philosophy is defense. I think he would be a good fit.
5 Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 03:33 AM   #3
gigantes
A piece of fluff

i don't know. it's got to be someone who's 1) good at working with young guys, is 2) willing to suffer a couple seasons with mediocre teams, and is 3) a strong, self-assured guy who can deal with a NYC-area team.

those things would seem to rule out scott, JVG, AJ, collins, cheeks, silas and dunleavy. the others, i don't know very well. maybe one of those assistants would be a good candidate.

honestly, i'd like to just bring back frank. he may not be a championship-level coach, but he was perfect as a teacher working with young guys. whoever they hire next may only be around a couple years, anyway.

as for the sixers, i don't know what to think anymore. the dalembert and brand contracts are killers. at least iggy produces pretty consistently. but where is the young talent? young and speights are about all there is, no? l-williams is not a starting PG, and i don't know if even PJ, pop or sloan could get very much out of these guys.
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 12:56 PM   #4
JerzeyBlaze
BBall gets u cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
i don't know. it's got to be someone who's 1) good at working with young guys, is 2) willing to suffer a couple seasons with mediocre teams, and is 3) a strong, self-assured guy who can deal with a NYC-area team.

those things would seem to rule out scott, JVG, AJ, collins, cheeks, silas and dunleavy. the others, i don't know very well. maybe one of those assistants would be a good candidate.

honestly, i'd like to just bring back frank. he may not be a championship-level coach, but he was perfect as a teacher working with young guys. whoever they hire next may only be around a couple years, anyway.

as for the sixers, i don't know what to think anymore. the dalembert and brand contracts are killers. at least iggy produces pretty consistently. but where is the young talent? young and speights are about all there is, no? l-williams is not a starting PG, and i don't know if even PJ, pop or sloan could get very much out of these guys.

I second that!
bring back Frank!

should have never fired him in the first place, although i would love to see Avery Johnson coach again just for the fact that he cracks me up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLV3a4CgYLE

Last edited by JerzeyBlaze : 04-10-2010 at 01:05 PM.
JerzeyBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 03:35 PM   #5
gigantes
A piece of fluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerzeyBlaze
should have never fired him in the first place, although i would love to see Avery Johnson coach again just for the fact that he cracks me up

hahaha, that's excellent!!

AJ's voice really irritates me and he has the tendency to stubbornly back himself into a corner when dealing with people, but i gotta admit, he has the fire and the right approach to effort and defense. i'm sure we could do worse for a head coach.

what also surprises me is that harris actually seems to want him back (i thought he hated AJ for being too restrictive). i mean, who knows? maybe harris could get back to being a top defensive PG that way...
Old 04-10-2010, 04:08 PM   #6
Dasher
http://wp.me/L6Wr

I am still elated that Frank is gone. I would like Bryan Shaw, Ron Harper, or Thibodeau
Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 02:48 AM   #7
Nets fan 93
Brooklyn Nets >

I like JVG... He is a defensive minded coach that is used to coaching skilled centers.
Quote:
I second that!
bring back Frank!

0-16 is unacceptable.

Last edited by Nets fan 93 : 04-11-2010 at 02:51 AM.
Nets fan 93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 04:17 AM   #8
gigantes
A piece of fluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nets fan 93
0-16 is unacceptable.
maybe it was inevitable, though.

maybe these nets were so very, very bad to start the year that that exact same record would have happened to a genetically-advanced super coach from the future that had been infused with the minds of phil jackson, red auerbach, jerry sloan and greg popovich.

and stephen hawking- one must always include stephen hawking.

now i just knowwwww you wouldn't want to punish anyone for that, would you?
Old 04-12-2010, 04:19 PM   #9
Nets fan 93
Brooklyn Nets >

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
maybe it was inevitable, though.

maybe these nets were so very, very bad to start the year that that exact same record would have happened to a genetically-advanced super coach from the future that had been infused with the minds of phil jackson, red auerbach, jerry sloan and greg popovich.

and stephen hawking- one must always include stephen hawking.

now i just knowwwww you wouldn't want to punish anyone for that, would you?
IDK I just find it strange the Nets won right when Kiki took over
Old 04-12-2010, 10:49 PM   #10
gigantes
A piece of fluff

true... very true.

although they say that usually when a coaching change happens, most players get a big shot of motivation and bust their tails for a little while in order to prove themselves, etc.

look what happened when byron scott first got fired...
Old 04-13-2010, 01:04 PM   #11
JerzeyBlaze
BBall gets u cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nets fan 93
0-16 is unacceptable.

Personally, i just dont think he had the talent around him in the beginning to win games. When all those injuries occured it was just bad timing, and i feel he didnt get a fair shot to win games when everyone was healthy. And it took Kiki a long time to get the little amount of wins that we have now. That tells me that its not the coaching but the lack of talent.
JerzeyBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 10:39 PM   #12
Nets fan 93
Brooklyn Nets >

Quote:
Personally, i just dont think he had the talent around him in the beginning to win games. When all those injuries occured it was just bad timing, and i feel he didnt get a fair shot to win games when everyone was healthy. And it took Kiki a long time to get the little amount of wins that we have now. That tells me that its not the coaching but the lack of talent.
Good points
Nice post.
EDIT...

Last edited by Nets fan 93 : 04-14-2010 at 11:53 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:57 PM   #13
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

Anyone who brings back the running game would be tops in my book. With all our athleticism and youthful legs, we should be on the break every second of the day.
wang4three is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: