Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: I think the Lakers were a tougher matchup with Bynum

Quote Originally Posted by Kurosawa0
    I actually agree against a team like the Thunder in terms of the one on one match up. Perkins guards Dwight very well and seemed to struggle a bit with Bynum. Plus they could conceivably get away with Ibaka on Howard for a few minutes.

The difference really is going to be Nash though. The Lakers didn't have a great playmaker for the bigs over the last few years. That should be huge.
    To be honest Perkins being able to guard Dwight is one of the biggest myths in the NBA. He got that rep for one playoff series I believe but Dwight doesn't have his way with him any less than he does everybody else. He still has shot 56-60% whenever perk guarded him over the years and Nash is only going to make Dwight's life even easier.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease rwfletch22's Avatar

I rule the local playground

I actually agree against a team like the Thunder in terms of the one on one match up. Perkins guards Dwight very well and seemed to struggle a bit with Bynum. Plus they could conceivably get away with Ibaka on Howard for a few minutes.

The difference really is going to be Nash though. The Lakers didn't have a great playmaker for the bigs over the last few years. That should be huge.
    Bynum struggled against OKC last year.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by All Net
    Slightly better? Dwight is better in every area but post moves... Dwight is dominating force on both sides of the ball.

Nash alone will make life so much easier for pau and Dwight. So no teams are going to have a lot of trouble guarding this team.
    Absolutely QFT.

Plus, Bynum lack of mobility was a detriment to the team. Pau will be able to do so much more with a center than can actually move quickly and doesnt just camp in the middle.

Yea, he's way too small

NBA rookie of the year Styles p's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by daily
    Remember at the slam dunk contest when Howard stuck that sticker way up hi on the glass? Bynum would need a ladder to do that
    hurr durr dwight can jump higher hes the better player hurr durr

Bynum is really a tough matchup for anyone, you never know when he is pulling up for a three.

Quote Originally Posted by eliteballer
    Yea, he's way too small

And Dwight is not standing up straight like pau is either...

College star

Love when people take a firm grasp on this half-empty notion.

I'll take you to task. Kurosawa0, what is Perkin's greatest weakness outside of offensive interior skill?

Also, a side-bar question to OP: In reference to your assessment of the height discrepancy between Bynum and Dwight, did you know that despite Bynum's 3 inch advantage on Dwight, Dwight has a higher reach than Bynum? In other words, when both players raise their arms to maximum length, Dwight is the taller player. This is also not considering Dwight's substantially higher vertical leap.

Essentially, Bynum is the taller player in pure measurement, but Dwight is the taller player when put into play. A player's standing reach is more important than a player's mere height, which I'm sure you know.
    Last edited by BlackVVaves; 10-04-2012 at 02:52 PM.

Lebronyte Kryptonite

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnySic
    In a somewhat ironic twist, I think that teams are going to find that its easier to match up with the Lakers now that they no longer have 2 7'+ twin towers in Bynum and Gasol.

Even though Howard is a slightly better player than Bynum, he isn't quite big enough for "tower" status.

Thoughts?
    Howard has more consistentcy on both ends than Drew. Drew would beast on D, and then miss several easy layups in row. Added to that Howard has more experience passing out of double teams than Drew as well. Who knows, we may be seeing Shaq/Kobe Part 2

Maeru Perinawa Achali TaLvsCuaL's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by All Net
    And Dwight is not standing up straight like pau is either...
    To be fair Howard is too somewhat closer to the camera, so the photos are always a bad option to measure height.

What is certain is that some act as if Dwight was a dwarf, and He is currently more than tall enough to be center.

National High School Star funnystuff's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialQue
    Even if Bynum is a better player, which he isn't, I'd much rather have someone on the Lakers who shows up every single game and doesn't do retarded shit like chucking threes and storming off the court pouting.

Bynum had some great games last season, but he only sporadically brought his effort, was immature as hell, and some of his tantrums got him benched and therefore away from the court, where he was needed.
    And this is better right?

Lakers are an infinitely tougher matchup with dwight. They lost one of their main weaknesses, point guards abusing their defender and then getting to the rim for a layup - dwight singlehandedly erases this. Pau and dwight are a MUCH better fit than pau+drew, I expect pau to have a great season now that dwight makes his life much easier on defense. Dwight + nash are a perfect fit, nash is gonna shine now that he can just toss lobs to dwight all day. And the single most important thing - dwight is durable and bynum is fragile.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackVVaves

Also, a side-bar question to OP: In reference to your assessment of the height discrepancy between Bynum and Dwight, did you know that despite Bynum's 3 inch advantage on Dwight, Dwight has a higher reach than Bynum? In other words, when both players raise their arms to maximum length, Dwight is the taller player. This is also not considering Dwight's substantially higher vertical leap.

Essentially, Bynum is the taller player in pure measurement, but Dwight is the taller player when put into play. A player's standing reach is more important than a player's mere height, which I'm sure you know.
    This is false; Bynum's standing reach is 9'4" and Howard's is 9'3.5".

Anyway, I wasn't just talking about height/reach, I meant sheer size/mass. Bynum takes up more space than any player since Shaq, completely closes down the lane. Howard doesn't do that. I've seen enough of DH to know, as an eastern conference fan.

Before, teams were at a real disadvantage against the Lakers' size. Now, for example, Dallas could throw out Dirk and Kaman and they match their size. Denver could throw out McGee and Mozgov and they match their size. And so on and so forth.