Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 03-16-2009, 09:08 AM   #1
RaininThrees
Meats Don't Clash

RaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Iavaroni as an Assistant on the Raps?

From Smith's Blog this morning:

"This ought to get the cobwebs out of the early morning heads.

Marc Iavaroni’s coming.

Seriously, he is. To Toronto. Like, tomorrow. And he was with the Raptors last week in Philly but went unnoticed.

The deal is he’s on some “coach and idea sharing” mission or some such; unemployed coaches come and hang around teams for a few days, offer their insight.

This, of course, is the first time the Raptors have ever done anything like this and of all the unemployed coaches to pick in all the world, they had to get Iavaroni, former head coach of the Memphis Grizzlies, former long-time assistant in Phoenix – where that Colangelo guy held sway – and the apple of the eye of a lot of Raptors fans.

Now, before any of you get too worked up, he’s here to be an observer, won’t be on the bench or anything this year and is not – I repeat IS NOT – going to be the next head coach of the Raptors.

But when he and Jay Triano break bread some day, and they surely will, I can imagine it’s going to be like some quasi job interview.

Can you envision Jay with Iavaroni as his lead assistant? I can. And I’m pretty sure there are people in the organization who can. "

Much ado about nothing?

Last edited by RaininThrees : 03-16-2009 at 09:12 AM.
RaininThrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 12:16 PM   #2
bballnoob
Decent college freshman

bballnoob is considered somewhat coolbballnoob is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Iavaroni as an Assistant on the Raps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaininThrees
From Smith's Blog this morning:

"This ought to get the cobwebs out of the early morning heads.

Marc Iavaroni’s coming.

Seriously, he is. To Toronto. Like, tomorrow. And he was with the Raptors last week in Philly but went unnoticed.

The deal is he’s on some “coach and idea sharing” mission or some such; unemployed coaches come and hang around teams for a few days, offer their insight.

This, of course, is the first time the Raptors have ever done anything like this and of all the unemployed coaches to pick in all the world, they had to get Iavaroni, former head coach of the Memphis Grizzlies, former long-time assistant in Phoenix – where that Colangelo guy held sway – and the apple of the eye of a lot of Raptors fans.

Now, before any of you get too worked up, he’s here to be an observer, won’t be on the bench or anything this year and is not – I repeat IS NOT – going to be the next head coach of the Raptors.

But when he and Jay Triano break bread some day, and they surely will, I can imagine it’s going to be like some quasi job interview.

Can you envision Jay with Iavaroni as his lead assistant? I can. And I’m pretty sure there are people in the organization who can. "

Much ado about nothing?

Perhaps he does come on as an assistant and gets promoted after a couple of years. Need to upgrade the roster though before any new major coaching change is made IMO for there to be any point in the change. It's foolish to think that one coaching change with no real roster improvements will do much.
bballnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 12:45 PM   #3
DJMason
High School JV MVP

DJMason is considered somewhat coolDJMason is considered somewhat cool

Ivaroni would be a disaster. Fingers crossed that we can actually land a respectible coach. Eddy Jordan anyone?
DJMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 12:54 PM   #4
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Chamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputation

Keeping Triano is unlikely enough to have happen, but add to the fact Iavoroni as his assistant? Not likely.
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 02:36 PM   #5
bballnoob
Decent college freshman

bballnoob is considered somewhat coolbballnoob is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJMason
Ivaroni would be a disaster. Fingers crossed that we can actually land a respectible coach. Eddy Jordan anyone?

I like the idea of the Raps having the Princeton offense although there would have to be some changes as far as the perimeter. Need some more ball handlers and shot creators to fully take advantage of the system. However, it does promote the off the ball movement that the Raptor's severely lack.

Especially with Calderon at the point, I think that Jordan's offense would work pretty well . In the event that Bosh gets traded, Bargnani would fit well in the system IMO.
bballnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 02:39 PM   #6
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

Zan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation here

I guess any advice/insight will be helpful at this point......
Zan Tabak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:08 PM   #7
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

Dr.Funk has decent reputationDr.Funk has decent reputation

I'll take advice from a green dog with wings and flippers at this point.
Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:04 PM   #8
SESSEL15
High School Starter

SESSEL15 has an OK reputation so far

B.C. is more concerned about building his front office than building a winning team.
SESSEL15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:49 PM   #9
RaininThrees
Meats Don't Clash

RaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamberlain
Keeping Triano is unlikely enough to have happen, but add to the fact Iavoroni as his assistant? Not likely.

I dunno, I think head coach Triano is likelier than you might think... so long as the Raps are paying Mitchell's salary next year, I can't see them bringing in a "big name". Plus, how much better would any other coach have been able to do with this group?

Anyways, in my mind, "coaching" in the NBA has a lot more to do with the players on your team than anything else. See: Doc Rivers... Record in Boston Pre-Big 3: 102-144. Post Big 3: 116-33.
RaininThrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:38 PM   #10
new noise
madvillain

new noise has an OK reputation so far

I'm sure I'm not the only one who finds this incredibly questionable. Fired NBA coach whom Colangelo was very interested in bringing over before Mitchell's COY award handcuffed him, and he joins the team mid-season amidst all the questions as to who the coach of this team is next year?

How must Triano feel about this? And the players aren't dumb, they can see the writing on the wall. How confused and uncomfortable must they be with it?

I've been hesitant to jump on the hate-Colangelo train, but this is just sh*tty GMing. I don't see why in such a lost season with the kind of negative cloud that's already hanging over the team, you'd bring a former head coaching candidate into the fold to complicate things even more.
new noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 09:33 PM   #11
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Toni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by new noise
I'm sure I'm not the only one who finds this incredibly questionable. Fired NBA coach whom Colangelo was very interested in bringing over before Mitchell's COY award handcuffed him, and he joins the team mid-season amidst all the questions as to who the coach of this team is next year?

How must Triano feel about this? And the players aren't dumb, they can see the writing on the wall. How confused and uncomfortable must they be with it?

I've been hesitant to jump on the hate-Colangelo train, but this is just sh*tty GMing. I don't see why in such a lost season with the kind of negative cloud that's already hanging over the team, you'd bring a former head coaching candidate into the fold to complicate things even more.

He's just an advisor. He won't be with the team. Maybe next season but I'm not sure. I really hope we can pick up Eddie Jordan as our next head coach. He brings the defensive philosophy we lack, player management and mental toughness (AEB Wash in those injury plagued seasons staying afloat).
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:32 AM   #12
b4ball
Local High School Star

b4ball has an OK reputation so far

Iavaroni was a bust in his first head coaching position at this level. He was not ready and will not be for a few more years. I don't see any issues with him being around. Colangelo does like him and thinks he needs more seasoning. He may earn himself another opportunity at some point, but nothing is imminent.
b4ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 11:37 AM   #13
RapsFan
Great college starter

RapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaininThrees
I dunno, I think head coach Triano is likelier than you might think... so long as the Raps are paying Mitchell's salary next year, I can't see them bringing in a "big name". Plus, how much better would any other coach have been able to do with this group?

Anyways, in my mind, "coaching" in the NBA has a lot more to do with the players on your team than anything else. See: Doc Rivers... Record in Boston Pre-Big 3: 102-144. Post Big 3: 116-33.

I don't agree. A great coach can make those pre big 3 teams much better then Rivers did, and a mediocre coach (Mike Brown, Rivers) can 'coach' great players to great records.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: