Page 18 of 130 FirstFirst ... 8151617181920212868118 ... LastLast

Default Re: 2012/13 Observation Deck

Quote Originally Posted by IGotACoolStory
    Brad Stevens is a ridiculously good coach.
    ridiculously good and ridiculously young.

butler will contend every year he is there.

dammit the best 2 players on butler fouled out... up 7 with 3 mins to go and now its a 2 pt game. i want butler to pull off the upset but doesnt seem likely at this point.

And a third Butler player fouls out in OT on a pretty questionable call.

Jazz | Utes | Raiders UtahJazzFan88's Avatar

Holy shit this is a good game

Clutchness right there.

And down goes #1.

Looking at their schedule...how'd Butler lose to Xavier by 15?

To beat Indiana in overtime with their players fouled out... Jesus.

Quote Originally Posted by IGotACoolStory
    To beat Indiana in overtime with their players fouled out... Jesus.
    All of their big men, too. I'm pretty sure Indiana's shortest player on the court in OT was as tall or taller than Butler's tallest player.

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

Zeller finishes with zero fouls in 37 minutes. It's just laughable at this point.

Florida led the entire game, by as many as 11 in the second half, and looked to be under control up 64-58 with about a minute to go, and....

they lose 65-64.
    Last edited by KG215; 12-16-2012 at 02:22 AM.

That was an epic choke job. Like I'm purposely throwing the game type of choke job.

UoA is damn good. Disappointed I didn't go to the game, had free tickets too

UC Riverside held to 26 points against USC for the entire game... UCLA with a nice 42 point win over a crappy school.

Can't wait for CSUN's game on Tuesday, should beat the DII side by at least 30 and then a tough game @ Utah next Friday.

Didn't get to see the game last night unfortunately. Is it safe to say most experts will be less high on Florida than be more high on Arizona?

o()xxx[{::::::::::::> SourPatchKids's Avatar

Illinois should be ranked higher than Indiana now but it won't happen.

I don't think Stevens is going to leave Butler anytime soon.

Barlow proves The Butler Way is alive and well

It seemed to matter deeply to the 19,000-plus souls crammed into available space for this event. This was taut competition, not least for the men pacing the sideline, the animation of Stevens and Indiana coach Tom Crean underscoring the grind. When the Hoosiers' irreplaceable star, Cody Zeller, drove hard on the baseline and got body-checked in the air for his efforts, Stevens grinned and applauded the hard foul from his bench. On the other end, Crean was not amused.
    "Oh, yeah, you like that?" he bellowed. "Make sure they make a play on the ball!"
    And so it went, reflective of the game's tenor, each coach desperately trying to hoarse-collar calls. Exasperated by whistles in Zeller's favor after Roosevelt Jones picked up his fourth foul, Stevens held an extended audience with referee Mike Kitts. As Kitts trotted down toward the Indiana bench, Crean playfully played the good cop. "I don't treat you like that," the Hoosiers coach cooed, even tossing Kitts a towel to wipe down a damp spot on the floor.
    Even more exasperated when center Andrew Smith picked up his fourth foul while checking Zeller, Stevens picked up his zingers. "Keep protecting him!" the Butler coach said. "Make him some more money!"
    Doesn't that just sound like a guy who enjoys playing the underdog? He's the nerdy kid who knows (or thinks he knows) he's better than everyone at something people don't expect him to be good at, and tries to show up the "big boys" whenever he can. Sounds like he coaches with a chip on his shoulder like "You think you are better than me because I coach at Butler?".

You can't play that role at a place like Indiana or Duke. The latter being where I think he is most likely to end up.

An interesting discussion was brought up on another message board I post on. How does the way he builds a team translate to a blue blood school?

Stevens clearly has a style. He recruits these tough-nosed, 4 year guys, who play his system. I realize much of that is because he's at Butler and he doesn't have much of a choice. He also recruited Cody Zeller (a blue chipper).

But that doesn't change the fact that at a blue blood school you have the opportunity, and are expected, to go after the top kids in the class, within reason. Essentially he would have to compromise and adjust his philosophy to try and find the right median to implement potential one and done NBA talents with whatever he tries to do at Butler.

As a fan of a program who gets negative recruiting against his coach because of a "team philosophy" my coach runs, it's a lot harder to land those recruits than you might think.

How would Stevens adjust to a Andrew Wiggins or Jabari Parker? Because it wouldn't be the other way around.
    Last edited by IGotACoolStory; 12-16-2012 at 08:43 PM.

o()xxx[{::::::::::::> SourPatchKids's Avatar

Pepperdine flying high