Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 10-25-2016, 08:42 AM   #1801
sixerfan82
College star

Default Re: The Walking Dead Discussion

A show like this is based on 'whats next', as opposed to a zombie movie where you typically 'get to an island'. It's great to get to an island, but you still have to live there otherwise you'll be dead in about 5 days from no food.

That being said, this characters death is issue 100# of which there are currently 169 with plans(rough outline) to 300. I'm sorry to mention comics in this thread, but this information is important to convey just how far in we are.

So, 6 seasons = 100 issues?

That suggests at least another 4 seasons at the rate we're going?
sixerfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 10:48 AM   #1802
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Walking Dead wont end until the actos demand too much money per episode to justify it. They already announced that they have the story set till the 13th season or so. Eventually Rick, Darryl, and Michonne are gonna ask for 1 million per show and they are gonna get it....for one final shortened season.

All the main actors on Big Bang Theory get a million a show.....and Walking dead is baaaaaaaaarely behind them in most viewers period despite being on cable while they are on a major free network. and Walking dead is way up in the 18-49 which is where the advertising money is. In that they are 20% ahead of #2...which is Sunday night football.

They beat monday night football now in both bottom line viewers and 18-49. Rick makes less than one tenth of what the leading actors often make on shows as huge as this once they get some leverage. Once his deal is up his agent is gonna walk into the AMC office like Hollywood Hogan

and destroy the show for an epic payday.

What can they do? Say no? Replace him? Nah.

They meet the demand and use "Final season of the walking dead!" hype money to finance 4 new shows they hope can replace it and up the budget on Fear the Walking Dead..
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 01:42 PM   #1803
sixerfan82
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
Walking Dead wont end until the actos demand too much money per episode to justify it. They already announced that they have the story set till the 13th season or so. Eventually Rick, Darryl, and Michonne are gonna ask for 1 million per show and they are gonna get it....for one final shortened season.

All the main actors on Big Bang Theory get a million a show.....and Walking dead is baaaaaaaaarely behind them in most viewers period despite being on cable while they are on a major free network. and Walking dead is way up in the 18-49 which is where the advertising money is. In that they are 20% ahead of #2...which is Sunday night football.

They beat monday night football now in both bottom line viewers and 18-49. Rick makes less than one tenth of what the leading actors often make on shows as huge as this once they get some leverage. Once his deal is up his agent is gonna walk into the AMC office like Hollywood Hogan

They meet the demand and use "Final season of the walking dead!" hype money to finance 4 new shows they hope can replace it and up the budget on Fear the Walking Dead..

I don't like it when you're right.
Old 10-25-2016, 01:59 PM   #1804
highwhey
STRONGMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh the horror
Well that's part of it kind of having no real end goal. There's no ending to this realistically being that they have a lot of content to draw on, plus anything they can dream up. Really this could go on for a long time.

However I'm of the opinion that they need to start considering when they're going to start driving the show toward some type of climatic big end. Because 7 seasons is a long time for a show like this to be running.
it definitely needs to be wrapped us sooner rather than later. if kblaze is right, 13 seasons is way too much.
highwhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 02:12 PM   #1805
sixerfan82
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwhey
it definitely needs to be wrapped us sooner rather than later. if kblaze is right, 13 seasons is way too much.

I'm curious what people would want as their goal? What are we hoping for?

The kill all the walkers?
A cure?
Everyone dies?
Old 10-25-2016, 02:22 PM   #1806
Dr Seuss
Local High School Star

this show is basically a current day 'moses leading the Israelites out of egpyt into the promised land'; 40 years of aimless searching just to never get to your destination.
Dr Seuss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 02:49 PM   #1807
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year

Caught up last night. It had it's moments. Generally I'd say it was better than what we've been getting, however my recollection is that I've thought that at the start of almost every season.

The misdirection worked IMO. Losing such a staple character was effective (particularly in that it seemed possible that Rick would use the axe at the end at that point, which wouldn't have even occurred to me as a possibility if this were a standard episode).

The performances were solid. Given that much emotion to work with, they're not particularly subtle roles, but everyone did their thing admirably. And Negan was well performed I thought, which surprised me, as I'm not the biggest fan of Jeffrey Dean Morgan, and even at that, it didn't feel like a great fit, and on top of that, I thought the close of last season came off cheesy at best. However, that's about as much meat as any character has been given to work with short of Rick.

Long term though, this has been set up as raw revenge now. I'm sure there will be some twists. But the whole season is laid out.

I presume Morgan and Carol will infiltrate in some manner or another, and will be the moving part of the show for the majority of the season. Daryl isn't dead, but can probably go most of the season without being paid by not actually appearing in a ton of episodes.

I think the big problem the show has is that it can't deal with the larger picture and maintain it's budget. The sets have been bad since season two. And last night was a classic example of the limited direction they can use. The whole episode was done with the cast kneeling in front of extras. And Rick's ride along was contrived nonsense that existed for little more reason than to add a zombie sequence. FX got it's budget to come up with something new ... the hanging dude ... and the background was conveniently smoked out.

I'm hopeful, if only because the boss level seems more promising than we've gotten. But it's inability to give anything new gives me the same lack of optimism I'm used to. I don't really need an end game. But some kind of variation would be great.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 02:53 PM   #1808
highwhey
STRONGMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixerfan82

A cure?
Everyone dies?
a conclusion. something other than being cyclical. they find a new haven>let their guard down>they become overrun/taken hostage>repeat
highwhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 03:03 PM   #1809
Facepalm
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblaze8855

2 things to consider though. TWD is much more expensive to film (on location, special effects, etc) and the cast is much larger.
Facepalm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 03:04 PM   #1810
UK2K
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwhey
a conclusion. something other than being cyclical. they find a new haven>let their guard down>they become overrun/taken hostage>repeat

This has happened, what? Like 4 'main' times since the show started?

Somehow they always manage to outsmart and defeat the more numerous, well prepared, enemy every time.
UK2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 03:15 PM   #1811
Facepalm
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK2K
This has happened, what? Like 4 'main' times since the show started?

Somehow they always manage to outsmart and defeat the more numerous, well prepared, enemy every time.
After this conflict, if they follow the comics, the status quo and the world itself will change. So no more wander, settle down, get chased out, repeat.
Facepalm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 04:44 PM   #1812
UK2K
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Facepalm
After this conflict, if they follow the comics, the status quo and the world itself will change. So no more wander, settle down, get chased out, repeat.

I just like that the show has finally turned... realistic.

You think you'd bump into that many friendly groups this late in the game? Get real. There would be people, heavily armed people, who would be running shit by then.

But Rick's group wanted to go wash dishes and iron clothes and shit like that... meanwhile, other (smarter) groups were preparing to do what was necessary for their survival. Finally, finally....

Because I can tell you right now, in the event of the zombie apocalypse, I'd be just like Negan. I'd absolutely take advantage of people (weaker groups), and I'd have no issue with blowing someone's head off if it means their 'group' gets the message.

Some people just don't have that instinct, and that's fine for THIS world. But if shit really did hit the fan, you'd either have to adopt that mentality, or be run over by someone else who has.
UK2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 05:00 PM   #1813
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixerfan82

A cure?
Everyone dies?

I don't even need an endgame. Just some variation. Try something else. Push to a big city again. Find some other survivors who are doing something differently.

They should be killing off characters more regularly, and replacing them with new survivors who's ideals match theirs more closely. It should be almost a rolling cast. Let the character dynamics drive things differently. Move the sets around.

I could've envisioned this to something closer to an episodic compendium type of thing. Different director's doing totally unrelated episodes in the same world. Something closer to what WWZ was as a book. Or give us episode to episode of different groups, not necessarily crossing paths, but with the possibility of it happening. The pattern of it is what is hurting it.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 05:27 PM   #1814
imdaman99
Knicks all da way

That was a little much for the 1st episode of the season. But I'm glad to have it back. Sometimes I want a dumb show to watch and not have to think much through, that is def my feeling after every episode of GoT

Rest in peace Abe and Glen, you were both good characters that never really pissed me off. Downloaded Talking Dead, gonna have to watch it and hopefully I don't get upset watching it
imdaman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 09:53 AM   #1815
sixerfan82
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
I don't even need an endgame. Just some variation. Try something else. Push to a big city again. Find some other survivors who are doing something differently.

They should be killing off characters more regularly, and replacing them with new survivors who's ideals match theirs more closely. It should be almost a rolling cast. Let the character dynamics drive things differently. Move the sets around.

I could've envisioned this to something closer to an episodic compendium type of thing. Different director's doing totally unrelated episodes in the same world. Something closer to what WWZ was as a book. Or give us episode to episode of different groups, not necessarily crossing paths, but with the possibility of it happening. The pattern of it is what is hurting it.

Ok, that's fair, allow me to counter?

They did find some survivors in Alexandria whom are doing something different(unless different means not attempting to rebuild society?), it wasn't a big city like Philly or New York though?

Seeing into another group would be a welcome addition, the insight into woodbury was a nice 3-4 episode break and it might be interesting to see if someone from Group B has the 'key' for Group A's 'lock' if you get what I'm saying?
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: