Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Banned

Default Re: Hear slaves, and Civil war veterans speak

wow. Rednecks still sounded like rednecks even back in the day

A thread about licking asshole explodes, yet hearing slaves talk about their expierences can hardly get a response. Jesus lmao

   

interesting... thanks for sharing.
    i bet the majority of southerners didn't really know what they were fighting for. they probably thought it was for a variety of stuff that only marginally included slavery. not to mention, the theory that the south won the post-war is probably the same force that kept so many ignorant of the real reason right up until today.

you could even argue that people who benefited from slavery, which obviously includes huge swaths of the southern states, are the ones who have caused the most harm to the united states across the years. as in, it caused untold suffering, early death, depression and economic disparity on one hand... generations of acts / attitudes borne out of resentment from all that... and cultural seeds which have nourished many varieties of bigotry and xenophobic thinking still alive and flourishing.

then again, what good does it do to blame a whole region and a bunch of long-dead people?
    Last edited by gigantes; 12-16-2015 at 07:42 PM.

   

Quote Originally Posted by jongib369
    A thread about licking asshole explodes, yet hearing slaves talk about their expierences can hardly get a response. Jesus lmao
    ISH gonna ISH. the other day i posted a drink recipe that is cheap, easy, quick and a great way to creatively flavor up beer for a hot day when you want a little variety. the responses were exactly how you'd imagine...

ew... it's too hard to make!

ew... it's sort of like a bloody mary but it isn't as alcoholic!

ew... it's too strange for me!

i just came in this thread to post a gif LOL

Banned

Nice finds. I've heard some of the slave narratives before.

Quote Originally Posted by gigantes
    interesting... thanks for sharing.

i bet the majority of southerners didn't really know what they were fighting for. they probably thought it was for a variety of stuff that only marginally included slavery. not to mention, the theory that the south won the post-war is probably the same force that kept so many ignorant of the real reason right up until today.

you could even argue that people who benefited from slavery, which obviously includes huge swaths of the southern states, are the ones who have caused the most harm to the united states across the years. as in, it caused untold suffering, early death, depression and economic disparity on one hand... generations of acts / attitudes borne out of resentment from all that... and cultural seeds which have nourished many varieties of bigotry and xenophobic thinking still alive and flourishing.

then again, what good does it do to blame a whole region and a bunch of long-dead people?
    That's probably the way it's always been in war, still is today. I'm sure the common soldier in Caesar's army had different motivations for crossing the Rubicon than Julius did. Today, plenty of soldiers who signed up for the Iraq war effort genuinely thought they were going to save America from WMDs.

National High School Star

Interesting. I have read many of the collected slave narratives & own several books with selections from the WPA Narratives.

The only issue with the Slave narratives ( collected 1936-38) was that most of the slaves were too young to remember the true horrors of slavery by then .

Slavery ended in 1865 & the narratives were collected 71-73 years later. By 1936 the ex slaves had to be at least 85 years or older recalling their childhoods.

Many of the surviving slaves in 1936 -38 were just children or becoming adolescents by 1865 .

The Slave narratives would have been more relevant , insightful had they been collected by an agency( Freedmans Bureau perhaps) in 1870's ,80's or 90's

The adults who bore the brunt of slavery were still around & young enough to remember more clearly.

Banned

Slavery ended 150 years ago in America. It's not really an exciting topic.

ISH gonna ISH. the other day i posted a drink recipe that is cheap, easy, quick and a great way to creatively flavor up beer for a hot day when you want a little variety. the responses were exactly how you'd imagine...

Got the link brah? I'm keen to try that I missed your thread

Banned

Holy shit dude, grow a pair.

"No one commented on my beer spritzer cocktail recipe! wah wah wah"

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Young
    Slavery ended 150 years ago in America. It's not really an exciting topic.
    Maybe not to you, but you can't go much further back with recordings.... Millions of people now voiceless, but we have a chance to listen to those who had to suffer, or fight during these times. First hand, not some text book, or some joe schmoe talking about it. That's a beautiful thing, though quite sad too.

What ethnicity are you?

   

Quote Originally Posted by DonDadda59
    That's probably the way it's always been in war, still is today. I'm sure the common soldier in Caesar's army had different motivations for crossing the Rubicon than Julius did. Today, plenty of soldiers who signed up for the Iraq war effort genuinely thought they were going to save America from WMDs.
    i think a better analogy would be a civil or ideological war, which would bear little resemblance to the roman legions or things like the iraq war. from what i remember, legionnaires usually joined to gain full citizenship and/or get some benefits and a plot of land. i know because i read it in asterix the gaul!

@32jazz,
    i bet even around 1937 there were still lots of black folks who lived the horrors through the lives and experiences of their parents and grandparents. not to mention, i bet there were still lots of southern black people living relatively similar sharecroppers' lives compared to their civil war counterparts. the justice system and culture at large was still pretty much geared to keep them down and in place. "slavery" as a word ended in 1863, but i reckon much of the existing system carried on.

Quote Originally Posted by Marv_Albert
    Got the link brah? I'm keen to try that I missed your thread
    sure dude. let me know if you come up with an interesting version:
    http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=392384

   

Maybe not to you, but you can't go much further back with recordings.... Millions of people now voiceless, but we have a chance to listen to those who had to suffer, or fight during these times. First hand, not some text book, or some joe schmoe talking about it. That's a beautiful thing, though quite sad too.

What ethnicity are you?
    he was born and raised a f-cking idiot.

he was born and raised a f-cking idiot.

Banned

What ethnicity are you?
    Jew