Page 53 of 153 FirstFirst ... 3435051525354555663103 ... LastLast
    Decent college freshman TheGame414's Avatar

Default Re: Illinois Fan Thread.

"A bit of redemption?"

This is WAY bigger then that game was. 10 times bigger. At least.

They didn't take a national title away from us. They didn't even take a conference title away. We still won the conference outright, stayed at No. 1 in the rankings, won the Big Ten tourney, got the No. 1 overall seed, went to the title game. Short of Luther Head making one more three-pointer and beating UNC, Illinois did everything they set out to do that season.

We took a national title game appearance away from them, in their house. And not only was the loss worse for OSU football than it was for Illinois basketball, but the win was way bigger for Illinois football than it was for Ohio State basketball.

Jerry Palm from CollegeBCS.com (also CollegeRPI.com) is now projecting us to play Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl.

Here's my understanding of the whole scenario:

1. Gotta have 9 wins. So obviously, this is all moot if we don't take care of **** against Northwestern.

2. Gotta be Top 14 in the BCS. Right now, we're 19th.

3. Ohio State has to beat Michigan. Otherwise Michigan gets the automatic BCS bid and Ohio State has a good shot at an at-large despite losing their last two games.

4. Hawaii has to lose one of their final three games: at Nevada, Boise at home, Washington at home. That's entirely possible.

5. Wait it out and let some of the 18 teams ahead of us knock each other outside of the top 14.

The ACC has Virginia Tech, Virginia, Clemson and Boston College ranked 10, 14, 15 and 17. But the ACC title game will sort out that, hopefully leaving all but the ACC title game champ outside the top 14.

Best-case scenario would be Nevada or Washington knocking off Hawaii, and Hawaii knocking off Boise State, ensuring neither one of them crack the top 12. That way, the four at-large bids are up for grabs between only BCS schools.

The SEC will have two teams, most likely LSU and Georgia, possibly Florida.

The Big XII will have Oklahoma and one of the following: Texas, Missouri and KU.

The Pac-10 will have Oregon and either USC or Arizona State.

Because as we all know, a conference can only have two BCS teams.

So that leaves the Big East, Big Ten and ACC fighting to be conference No. 4 with a second BCS entrant.

The Big East won't get one. UConn beating West Virginia gives them the slimmest of hopes at that, but West Virginia probably wouldn't get an at-large bid with two losses out of the Big East.

The ACC is basically in a de facto Final Four to get the only BCS bid the conference is likely to get. It's unlikely that whoever loses out in that conference remains in the top 14.

This would mean that, in this craziest of college football seasons, Illinois would basically be the last team standing and get that last BCS bid by attrition.

Got all that?

Alright, now Illinois fans, here's what you have to root for:

1. Obviously, for Illinois to beat Northwestern. Otherwise, none of this means a thing.

2. Hawaii to lose, or else it still means nothing. Get the Colt Brennan voodoo dolls ready. I don't care about rooting for bad things to happen to him, because I'm pretty sure he just barely beat the rap for raping a girl when he was at Colorado.

3. Ohio State to beat Michigan. Otherwise Michigan gets an automatic BCS bid, and Ohio State probably backs into the second BCS bid from the Big Ten despite closing with two losses. I don't think there's any way they fall much past No. 11 or 12 unless Michigan absolutely murders them and they drop like a sledgehammer in the human polls...in which case we may pass them and get a berth ahead of them anyway. Still, root for Ohio State.

4. The Big XII is all but a lock for two BCS bids between Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas and Missouri, so we probably don't need to bother paying attention to what they're doing. Same with the Pac-10. Whoever wins Arizona State/USC is going to the BCS. And you don't need me to tell you that two SEC teams are going to be in there. That's the lock of a lifetime.

5. Clemson to beat Boston College and then lose at South Carolina to close the regular season, giving both three losses.

6. Virginia Tech to lose to Miami but beat Virginia, and then beat Clemson in the ACC title game.

7. West Virginia to win out, eliminating ANY possibility of the Big East sneaking in two teams.

That would leave us with the following teams ranked ahead of us (this isn't necessarily the order they would finish, though I'm trying to roughly put it in that order):

1. LSU
    2. Oregon
    3. Oklahoma
    4. West Virginia
    5. Ohio State
    6. Georgia
    7. Texas
    8. Missouri*
    9. Kansas*
    10. Virginia Tech
    11. Florida*
    12. USC
    13. Arizona State*
    14. Illinois

*ineligible for BCS bid; already two teams from that conference

So that'd leave:

BCS title game: LSU v. Oregon
    Rose Bowl: OSU v. USC
    Sugar Bowl: Georgia v. Texas
    Orange Bowl: Virginia Tech v. West Virginia

Drum roll, please.

Fiesta Bowl: Oklahoma v. The Fightin' Zookers.

NBA rookie of the year IlliniFan's Avatar

5. Clemson to beat Boston College and then lose at South Carolina to close the regular season, giving both three losses.

6. Virginia Tech to lose to Miami but beat Virginia, and then beat Clemson in the ACC title game.
    All sounded doable until I read those two. No way in hell BC loses to South Carolina. As for Clemson, that game is 50/50.
    And even if these do happen, I don't see Miami upsetting VT. Even with all the upsets, I just can't see that happening. They didn't scorea single point against UVA.

Enough pessimism. Hopefully all the stuff you say has to happen for us to get there happens but BCS or not, if we beat Northwestern, we are going to end up in a pretty damn good bowl. Hopefully against Florida. That would be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by IlliniFan
    All sounded doable until I read those two. No way in hell BC loses to South Carolina. As for Clemson, that game is 50/50.
    And even if these do happen, I don't see Miami upsetting VT. Even with all the upsets, I just can't see that happening. They didn't scorea single point against UVA.

Enough pessimism. Hopefully all the stuff you say has to happen for us to get there happens but BCS or not, if we beat Northwestern, we are going to end up in a pretty damn good bowl. Hopefully against Florida. That would be fun.
    Clemson's playing South Carolina. And them losing to South Carolina is a just-to-be-sure thing. Same with Miami over VT. Those are just two frivolous things I threw in there, literally the two least important things in my post.

Like I said, the ACC is going to take care of itself. They're basically in a Final Four to get the only BCS spot that conference will get, because the ACC champ is most likely going to be the only ACC team to finish in the top 14. 9-3 or 10-3 out of the ACC isn't gonna get a BCS at-large bid this year.

It's my understanding that Boise State, at 11-1, won't be able to up their computer profile much at all. So they're pretty much stuck in neutral even if they beat Hawaii, and no matter what the human polls say.

So what it boils down to is this: if Hawaii loses, Ohio State beats Michigan, and we beat Northwestern, we're probably going to the Fiesta Bowl.

Also to be on the safe side, cheer for Virginia Tech in the ACC title game, should they make it.

NJ Net Fan For Life. wang4three's Avatar

Nevertheless, this has been an incredibly enjoyable season.

Yes, I'm playing the role of "everybody is a winner".

::Waits to cue R. Kelly's "Fiesta"::

I just got some pretty good lower level tickets to the Illinois-Maryland game on the 28th. Pretty excited about it. Haven't seen an Illini game since I was in Urbana in 2003. Maryland tickets are really hard to come by for some reason. I think the game is completely sold out already.

Bulls | Bears | W. Sox ballinhun8's Avatar

Damn, it'll be hard to root for Va. Tech after there bball team knocked us out last season but if it takes that, then so be it. And, let's go OSU and I've never liked Hawaii, and hopefully they'll lose twice this weekend.

Damn, a bowl game against the Sooners or Gators would be exciting. Obviously the Florida/Illinois possibility is huge because of Zook and could garner more attention then some other big bowl games. Although, seeing the Sooners in Tempe again against a team that rocks Orange & Blue would be funny.

If we beat NW and don't get a BCS spot, the Capital One v. Florida is the lock of all locks.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGame414
    Jerry Palm from CollegeBCS.com (also CollegeRPI.com) is now projecting us to play Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl.

Here's my understanding of the whole scenario:

3. Ohio State has to beat Michigan. Otherwise Michigan gets the automatic BCS bid and Ohio State has a good shot at an at-large despite losing their last two games. I doubt that Ohio St will drop out of the top 14 imo with a loss.

4. The Big XII is all but a lock for two BCS bids between Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas and Missouri, so we probably don't need to bother paying attention to what they're doing. Same with the Pac-10. Whoever wins Arizona State/USC is going to the BCS. And you don't need me to tell you that two SEC teams are going to be in there. That's the lock of a lifetime.
    Not exactly. Texas Tech might beat Oklahoma. Kansas loses to Missouri then Oklahoma beats Missouri. Thats not too crazy to happen

Problems

NJ Net Fan For Life. wang4three's Avatar

Gutsy win last night. Go Calvin Brock for the GW.

Yeah, I actually stayed up to watch it. Hawaii has this one guy, Nash, he was shooting lights out. It was ridiculous. Anything he threw up was falling. They were up by 13 at one point. then we started chipping away. Frazier hit a couple big 3's, McCamey had some nice drives, and Brock had some nice dunks and of course the game winning layup. It was a good game.

NBA Superstar

I really hope you guys beat ASU and play Duke tomorrow.

I'm not sold on Duke at all regardless of their added depth and beating a top 15 team would be great for you guys.

Quote Originally Posted by statman32
    Problems
    Nope, no problems.

Again, focusing on the wrong things.

Again, I point out that Ohio State being Michigan was the first and foremost important thing. Pointing out what would happen if OSU were to lose is silly, since it was clearly one of the three necessary things that needed to happen.

And whatever happens in the Big XII is irrelevant. They were already a lock for two BCS bids, with four strong candidates in OU, KU, UT and Mizzou. Doesn't matter, doesn't affect Illinois. In fact, with the possibility of OU, Texas or Mizzou finishing with three losses, all it could do is help Illinois, if anything.

Quote Originally Posted by i seen hippos
    I really hope you guys beat ASU and play Duke tomorrow.

I'm not sold on Duke at all regardless of their added depth and beating a top 15 team would be great for you guys.
    We'll see.

I'm much more sold on Duke than I thought I'd be. They're deep and athletic, and Singler is the truth. Duke is a borderline national title contender. If we play them close and leave Maui 2-1, I'll be very happy.

I do not expect us to win at all. The kick-ass performance against ASU was simply bittersweet, as it served to remind me how good this team would be if they had a legit shooting guard: a Big Ten contender if Jamar was playing this year, and a national title contender if IDKWTI wasn't a piece of garbage.

No matter, though. It looks as if we just may have the Big Ten's best frontcourt. Granted, that's because the conference is very much in a transitional year, but still. I think ASU is gonna be a decent team, and that was a kickass performance tonight.

If McCamey can keep improving and play 22-25 minutes a night without making a lot of mistakes, we could have a chance to avoid the bubble come Selection Sunday and maybe play on the second weekend. If not, and we have to rely on my white walk-on buddies from my high school at SG, it could be the ugly year we all expected.

But with the way Rodney Alexander is playing, I feel really good about our frontcourt.

If Alex Rodriguez is A-Rod, can Rodney Alexander be Rod-A? Or R-Alex?

I like Rod-A better, but I've pretty much been drinking since Thanksgiving break started on Friday for me.