Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    ThaSwagg3r
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Default Re: Why do some People call MJ the greatest defensive player ever?

Quote Originally Posted by juju151111
    Name 10 perimeter defenders who are better?
    Being a top 10 great is not the same as being the all-time great....

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolBBall
    lol @ the OP saying Jordan was "barely top 10" as a perimeter defender. No perimeter defender save for Pippen had the type of defensive impact on games that Jordan did in his prime. Here's one game from the 1990 playoffs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dut0RXe-UB4

Take note of how many balls Jordan got his hands on for steals/blocks/deflections. 1990 or '91 was MJ's defensive peak, and his disruption and defensive dominance was on full display during this series and the 1990 series vs. Detroit. Just devastating defensively. It's a joke that people try to act like certain players today are on his level defensively. THIS IS ONE GAME, PEOPLE. He makes more defensive plays and hustles more here than others make in 5 games. But yeah, "barely top 10."

And regarding the second three-peat, all anyone has to do is watch the 1998 ECF vs. Indiana to see that Jordan's defensive impact was still top 2 at the guard spot even at age 35. Shutting down Miller in crucial 4th quarters, making game saving steals/blocks, breaking up 3-on-1 fastbreaks singlehandedly, getting his hands on a ton of balls, shutting down Jalen Rose every time he tried to attack him, blanketing the lightning quick Travis Best when Best was destroying the Chicago PG's with his penetration etc. Watch that series and then get back to me about MJ's defensive impact during the second three-peat. And this was 35 year old Jordan, here.

I wish this game vs. Toronto from the '98 season was up in its entirety (http://www.basketball-reference.com/...803220TOR.html). Jordan completely disrupts Toronto's post offense all game from both the weak and strong side, records 5 steals/3 blocks (and gets his hands on a number of balls besides those for TO's, to break up plays or cause rushed/bad shots etc.), and holds Chauncey Billups to like 2-10 shooting when he was on him. His defensive impact was monstrous. 35 years old. But yeah, "barely top 10 among perimeter defenders."

You definitely had a mental breakdown of some sort reading this thread.

High School Varsity 6th Man

I think I can count on one hand the number of times in all my years of reading forums that I have seen someone try to claim that Jordan is the greatest defensive player of all time.

Of course, leave it to Fatal9 and the Kobe brigade to completely agree with the OP and act like it is a daily occurrence around here...

Quote Originally Posted by Big#50
    He isnt even top ten. He is barely top ten as a wing defender.
    If you're going to make a claim like that you should probably name the 10 better wing defenders. Even if you say barely, then you have to name 8 or 9 better wing defenders. I'd like to see that list...
    Oh, and not once have I seen him called the best defender ever BTW.

Very good NBA starter

loco going crazy.

10 better defenders:
    moncrief
    b. jones
    pippen
    payton
    artest
    bowen
    battier
    dumars
    cooper
    robertson

Irrational Jordan superfan StarJordan's Avatar

^most of those guys aren't better defenders than jordan at all...michael jordan is pretty high alltime in steals and he's probably one of 2-3 guys who can have lots of steals (3+) and multiple blocks in same game and repeat it......and .if there was one stop needed....just one defensive stop for the championship....you put jordan on the ballhandler and chancers are jordan will stop him or deflect the ball or force a turnover some other way.

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

I mean... it aint as if MJ wasn't revered/feared by his contemporaries and hailed by them as the best defender. And it also isn't as if he doesn't have the numbers to back up any argument made in his favor, or the accolades for that matter.

Magic, Barkley, coaches, and an array of other past greats have all mentioned that MJ was a force defensively (not sure if I can quote them saying that he was THE best defensively), but it isn't too far fetched at all to imply that he was the best.

And as Oldschool mentioned, there's various aspects to playing defense.

When every aspect is considered, MJ does have a very strong case as being the best defender of all time.

He can defend the perimeter like a point guard, and disrupt the offense like a big man at elite levels, possibly like no other player. And once again... the defensive rating stats, individual stats, and accolades all make a strong case in MJ's favor.

Great college starter

Quote Originally Posted by StarJordan
    ^most of those guys aren't better defenders than jordan at all...michael jordan is pretty high alltime in steals and he's probably one of 2-3 guys who can have lots of steals (3+) and multiple blocks in same game and repeat it......and .if there was one stop needed....just one defensive stop for the championship....you put jordan on the ballhandler and chancers are jordan will stop him or deflect the ball or force a turnover some other way.
    LoL Stans gone crazy. Give me Bowen in that scenario.

Good college starter EricForman's Avatar

I've never heard anyone call Jordan the "greatest defender ever", and he wasn't. But he was one of the best perimeter defenders ever, definitely in the top ten.

Anyway, this is another troll thread, and the only response is: "he's still a better defender than Kobe"

Jordan top3 perimeter defender ever. Nothing wrong with this imo.

Magic, Barkley, coaches, and an array of other past greats have all mentioned that MJ was a force defensively (not sure if I can quote them saying that he was THE best defensively), but it isn't too far fetched at all to imply that he was the best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u40J0ttZy1U#t=4m24s

Great college starter

Quote Originally Posted by andgar923
    I mean... it aint as if MJ wasn't revered/feared by his contemporaries and hailed by them as the best defender. And it also isn't as if he doesn't have the numbers to back up any argument made in his favor, or the accolades for that matter.

And as Oldschool mentioned, there's various aspects to playing defense.

When every aspect is considered, MJ does have a very strong case as being the best defender of all time.

He can defend the perimeter like a point guard, and disrupt the offense like a big man at elite levels, possibly like no other player. And once again... the defensive rating stats, individual stats, and accolades all make a strong case in MJ's favor.
    Like a big man? Stop. Just freaking stop.

Aside from this, I've seen other interviews by Chuck and others that echo the same sentiment. I'm sure others can post them since I'm not great at remembering where I saw/read them, but they're out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Big#50
    Like a big man? Stop. Just freaking stop.
    YES disrupt offense like a big man. Because the offense was always alert of where he was which disrupted their game plan. If he didn't come up with a steal, he'd reflect the ball, take a charge or block it. I've seen MJ stop the perimeter on one side of the court, then disrupt the offense the next play on an entirely different side inside the paint. He was just that quick at reading and reacting. And as it has been stated, the stats back this up as MJ usually ranks as high as most big men in various defensive ratings and productivity statistics. This isn't some shit that I or others made up, this shit is on tape and backed up by statistical data as well as those that are involved in the game.

Very good NBA starter

Jordan stans.

The Bulls got BETTER on defense after MJ retired the first time. You think that happens with the real G.O.A.T defenders?