Page 1 of 15 123411 ... LastLast

Default Just forced myself to watch Casablanca...

...to see what all the fuss was about... and i think this is the most overrated movie in history...

Its just a typical 40s cliche boring dialogue bla bla bla spammed movie about a "handsome", charming, witty, and all that jazz man throwing cheezy (although "classical") unnatural lines..... and the final scene fell flat with me.... one great thing i can say about the movie is Ingrid Bergman, one of the most beautiful women ive ever seen...

I didnt think it was bad... nor do i think it was great... probably great for its time... but i am not in that time... and i have seen much greater movies...

Sorry, but I do have to disagree with this films reputation.... to say that it is the greatest movie of all time or even be along side titles such as Godfather, Shawshank Redemption, The Good the Bad and The Ugly etc. on the pedestal is absurd....

Does anybody here actually think this movie was great or the best movie of all time? Or can anybody explain why this movie is/was so "GREAT"?
    Is it just Nostalgia for the old folks?
    Last edited by pauk; 04-09-2012 at 07:01 PM.

rank sentamentalist

Default Re: Just forced myself to watch Casablanca...

i agree it's overrated, but bear in mind the context. middle of ww2, very early in cinematic history. it was a stock and trade film that just touched a lot of hearts... and there's no question it was among the best movies of the time, even

the cheesy cliche 'unnatural' dialogue was just the style for the time. drawing the audience into the truth of the film was important, but not to the extent realism is prioritized today. it was about performance art. in that regard, there were a number of great performances.

especially this guy

good, maybe great, only best in the hearts of serious romantics

Quote Originally Posted by pauk
    ...to see what all the fuss was about... and i think this is the most overrated movie in history...

Its just a typical 40s cliche boring dialogue bla bla bla spammed movie about a "handsome", charming, witty, and all that jazz man throwing cheezy (although "classical") unnatural lines..... and the final scene fell flat with me.... one great thing i can say about the movie is Ingrid Bergman, one of the most beautiful women ive ever seen...

I didnt think it was bad... nor do i think it was great... probably great for its time... but i am not in that time... and i have seen much greater movies...

Sorry, but I do have to disagree with this films reputation.... to say it belongs along side titles such as Godfather, Shawshank Redemption, The Good the Bad and The Ugly etc. on the pedestal is absurd....

Does anybody here actually think this movie was great or the best movie of all time? Or can anybody explain why this movie is/was so "GREAT"?
    A couple points:

1. I agree that I don't have Casablanca as high as many "experts". Wouldn't be in my top 10 for movies before the 1960's even. That being said, I get the sense I appreciate it a lot more than you do. It is a very crisp, well done movie. Good story. Really not one fault I can think of with the movie. The reason I don't have it as high as some others is not really because of any faults, but because there are many outstanding movies that came from that era that I'm surprised many people don't think are equal to, or better than Casablanca. And that's just movies from that era.

2. You said "Sorry, but I do have to disagree with this films reputation.... to say it belongs along side titles such as Godfather, Shawshank Redemption, The Good the Bad and The Ugly etc. on the pedestal is absurd...."

The fact you brought up three movies that every kid from our generation has seen and gushes over, tells me you probably don't have a true appreciation for movies of that time period. Not an insult. I just feel if you come back here and answer honestly, you would say you haven't paid as much attention to movies of that era compared to movies from the 70's-present. If I'm wrong, I apologize. I'm the opposite, I love movies from the 30'-60's more than modern movies. I'm a bit biased that way and that's not to say I don't watch modern movies (LotR trilogy is my second favorite film of all time).

You also said, you had to force yourself to watch Casablanca. Again, if you have to force yourself to watch that movie, then you probably don't really appreciate movies of that era. Kinda hard to put it on the same level as other movies when you simply don't have the same bias towards the films and their style, acting, cinematography, etc.

Seventy years ago.

Great college starter FatComputerNerd's Avatar

The Good the Bad and the Ugly, while a good and fun movie, is overrated.

Banned

The Wilt Chamberlain of movies?

the Sho Kosugi of ISH -p.tiddy-'s Avatar

Where is that little group of posters arguing with me that art mediums don't progress for the better? lol

they should be all up your ass in this thread about how this would still hold up strong today...movie snobs

This movie is so good that I went out and bought the 4k release last week. The 70th anniversary edition is worth the money.

The great thing about movies like Casablanca is the dialogue and the music. There are no throw away lines. All the dialogue is excellent. The lines you have to wait to hear in most modern movies are lines a person with a bit part gets in this movie.

It's kind of sad to me when someone can watch Casablanca and not understand why it is considered one of the best movies ever made.

Quote Originally Posted by FatComputerNerd
    The Good the Bad and the Ugly, while a good and fun movie, is overrated.
    gtjo

Quote Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
    Seventy years ago.
    This.

Nosferafu is the GOAT Oldest film. It's still a very watchable movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Lebron23
    Nosferafu is the GOAT Oldest film. It's still a very watchable movie.
    Ever watched Stormy Weather?

the Sho Kosugi of ISH -p.tiddy-'s Avatar

my favorite "old movie" is The Hustler

but I'm not going to pretend like it would be an Oscar winner if it were released today...lol

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
    Ever watched Stormy Weather?

Not yet.