Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 07-20-2007, 11:48 AM   #121
Optimus Prime
Swaggy

Optimus Prime has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Official #28 NBA Player Of All Time According To ISH

This is a pretty ignorant statement.

1. GP20 hasn't brainwashed me. I like Gary Payton. He is a very good player. He has had a very rich career, and his swagger and trash talk amuse me.
2. I am not anywhere near 13 years old. I wish I was that young...
3. I don't really know much about the old "legends" guys, because they are outside of my lifetime. Sure, I could read about them, watch some YouTubes, etc., but that personal link wouldn't be there. I prefer 80's on.
4. This is an opinion based poll. Someone somewhere can make a valid argument to dispute each and every ranking on this list. It's just a poll for fun.

Yeesh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-train
Walt Frazier.

Payton will probably get this because GP20 has brainwashed so many 13 year olds.
In reality we have about another 20 players to go through until we get to Payton.

Frazier was a better shooter, passer, scorer, and was his equal defensively for his time. Throw all the stats, NBA teams at it as much as you like, Frazier is a better player - they dont tell the story because the game was different, it was a different era.
Anyone who has SEEN both play in their respective era's would consider it a joke that this is even a conversation.
Optimus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 11:52 AM   #122
Optimus Prime
Swaggy

Optimus Prime has an OK reputation so far

Calling for do overs because you didn't get your way in an opinion based Internet poll.

at Patrick Ewing being Top 10.

In fact, that deserves to be restated for hilarity...

Patrick Ewing. Top 10. Of all time.

IMPORTANT NOTICE:

KWALI IS HILARIOUS. THAT IS ALL.

:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWALI
IMPORTANT NOTICE: NONE OF THE FOLLOWING PLAYERS ARE BETTER THAN PATRICK EWING, ELVIN HAYES, DAVE COWENS OR WILLIS REED.

10. Tim Duncan
11. Jerry West
12. Julius Erving
13. Moses Malone
14. Elgin Baylor
15. Bob Pettit
16. John Havlicek
17. Karl Malone
18. George Mikan
19. David Robinson
20. Isiah Thomas
21. Charles Barkley
22. John Stockton
23. Bob Cousy
24. Kobe Bryant
25. Rick Barry
-----
26. Scottie Pippen
27. Clyde Drexler

I call do overs even within this listing people are in curious places. There are some guys with little to no separation so its tough however especially with Karl Malone at 17 all the guys I noted above should be infront of Karl. **** Reed is basically Karl Malone with clutch perfomances in teh finals instead of bithcing out!!!
Optimus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 12:11 PM   #123
IceMan2
Local High School Star

IceMan2 has an OK reputation so far

payton
IceMan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 12:49 PM   #124
Glove_20
The Expert

Glove_20 is considered somewhat coolGlove_20 is considered somewhat coolGlove_20 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Fence
From last thread:

I have a couple of questions and complaints, Glove 20.

My first question is in earnest. Has Gary Payton done something for you personally--like something outside of basketball? Where does the Payton-worship come from? Is their a rationale: I mean, other than he's such a great player as you've already argued.

No. He's my favorite player. I've met him. I grew up in Seattle and watched all his years in Seattle. But mainly he's my favorite player.

Quote:
Second, how will this list be more right by Payton being voted for over Reed? You said:

What does that mean? You said "Reed > Payton." How does the list get more accurate with Payton over Reed, then?

Because Payton got the spot he deserved (High 20s). If Reed was here at 27th, it would've been even more accurate, but I am just saying, it got more accurate, but it still could've gotten even more if Reed was in earlier.

Quote:
The first I recall you posting on these forums, you weren't voting or making a case for any player. You made some comments about how the rankings were wrong. You even made your own thread complaining that we were overrating players from long ago, and you added what I considered a slight rearrangement of the rankings. It didn't appear that you really had anything to say, or if you did, you weren't saying it.

I think you also said something about the list being a bad idea because the rankings would be off.

Then, I think you started voting. I remember you voted for Bob Cousy, right? Next you were on your Payton rampage. Now you're promoting Kevin Johnson? I hope you're not suggesting he belongs near the next few spots.

Anyhow, after Gary Payton makes the list will you continue voting--will you make any passionate arguments for another player? Maybe Kevin Johnson? Someone else? Are you going to argue for Kevin Johnson and vote for him over players you dispassionately consider greater just to get him a certain placement for some reason that makes no apparent sense to me.

I didn't much care for how people were voting for the "lesser of two evils" when Kobe Bryant was being debated--voting for whoever had the most support and wasn't Kobe--as though we're electing the President. I don't care for people voting uninformed for current playes while acknowledging they don't know, nor care about older players and just want to vote for recent players they saw. But, your Payton promoting, while sometimes interesting, is kind of obnoxious.

Most of all, your voting rationale makes no sense to me. The Payton worship. Voting for him over a player you admit is greater. The momentum you've seemingly created for Payton.

I've ranted here somewhat, but hopefully I've made my questions and complaints clear.

I'm voting for Payton because he deserves a spot around here. Reed might be a greater player, but he was greater than a lot of other guys on the list as well. I know it doesn't make a lot of sense, I still should be voting for Reed, but Payton is my favorite player, and he deserves a spot right around now. What do you want me to do? Change my vote to Reed, Payton still wins.

And yeah, I'll start my KJ promoting around the mid 30s.

Last edited by Glove_20 : 07-20-2007 at 12:58 PM.
Glove_20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 01:10 PM   #125
XxNeXuSxX
The Master Debater

XxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation here

"That's really an astonishing statement. As someone who lives through the attacks of September 11th, I've never heard (reasons cited in the 9/11 commission report), and I ask the congressman to withdraw his comments"

-Rudy

Your move.
XxNeXuSxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 01:13 PM   #126
Glove_20
The Expert

Glove_20 is considered somewhat coolGlove_20 is considered somewhat coolGlove_20 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxNeXuSxX
"That's really an astonishing statement. As someone who lives through the attacks of September 11th, I've never heard (reasons cited in the 9/11 commission report), and I ask the congressman to withdraw his comments"

-Rudy

Your move.

I'm not changing my vote. I was just playing around...if thats what you were talking about...
Glove_20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 01:46 PM   #127
dejordan
Mars Blackmon Lives!

dejordan has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillswithaz
Patrick Ewing. I've wrote up reasons why many times.

Walt Frazier and Willis Reed were great knicks. But Ewing is the greatest Knick and would've had just as many championships if not for Jordan in his conference.
it's just you and me working the ewing tip on this, but i'm still with you.

pat ewing
dejordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 12:18 AM   #128
KWALI
erudite

KWALI has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Prime

Calling for do overs because you didn't get your way in an opinion based Internet poll.

at Patrick Ewing being Top 10.

In fact, that deserves to be restated for hilarity...

Patrick Ewing. Top 10. Of all time.

IMPORTANT NOTICE:

KWALI IS HILARIOUS. THAT IS ALL.

:)
I wouldn't say Ewing is top ten but Ewing has to be listed in the top 24...People rank Karl Malone higher than him becuz of what? He scored more but was Karl Malone really better? Bob Cousy...come on man...I mea really I know people love JOhn STockton and all but really think about it....throw John Stockton and Ewing out there...who really has more effect on a game...people like to honour assists especially in the speed it up NASH media age....but an assist is a partnership without someone hitting a shot it's nothing and not all assists are scored created by the pass. KBlaze is convince Barkley was...maybe but it couldn't be by much and these guys don't have rings and both had WAY BETTER TEAMMATES THAN EWING...

Hakeem I'll give props to becuz he had the weakest surrounding cast besides Ewing to go to the finals of therei\ era... D-Rob never made it to the finals and he never had MJ in his conference.... Either way at least Houston was abalanced team overall and in teh second championship Hakeem got Drexler..

Oh and it's not just Ewing Elvin Hayes...and Dave COwens too..those guys have rings...
KWALI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 12:20 AM   #129
Dizzle-2k7
Go Spurs Go

Dizzle-2k7 is considered somewhat coolDizzle-2k7 is considered somewhat cool

iceman george gervin
Dizzle-2k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: