Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 11-30-2010, 03:23 AM   #1
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

Default Hip Hop Killed Music

I'ma say something that's gonna piss off 90% of the board.

Hip hop ruined music.

Hip hop becoming big and mainstream infiltrated into pop and r&b, and really sunk it to a lower level. Sadly, the genre that suffered the most is r&b.

I'm sure somebody will provide with some links to some r&b that doesn't suck, and somebody will say that 'most' music sucks.... but never like this.

I aint saying that hip hop is a bad thing. I think hip hop should've stayed underground (damn right!). I wish hip hop artists didn't become pop culture icons, or multi millionaires with their faces everywhere I turn.

Why am I blaming hip hop?

Musicality is gone for the most part.

Pop and r&b music has become 'beat' driven, lyrics have become even more watered down, and the singing has been sunk to an all time low.

Not to long ago, we still had r&b groups, and good singing. But its no coincidence that as hip hop rose in popularity and hip hop and r&b became more and more intertwined, the quality of pop and r&b declined.

Sure, the airwaves have mostly been ruled by some of the weaker songs and artists, but we can do a comparison between the music from the 80s, 90s and today and link it to hip hop's rise. We'll notice a trend that shows r&b and pop music declining in quality as the unification between hip hop and these other genres rises.

This song plays more like a Too Short record instead of an early Whitney or Mariah. Hell.... all we gotta do is compare the two artists I just mentioned and compare their earlier music to today's. The quality in their work takes a dip, as it becomes more and more hip hop-centric.

It's also of no coincidence that as hip hop and r&b/pop become more intertwined, its quality also suffers.

Last edited by andgar923 : 11-30-2010 at 03:37 AM.
andgar923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 03:28 AM   #2
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

Default Re: Hip Hop Killed Music

100% true and this is coming from a hip-hop lover.

And it's not that it should have stayed underground, it should just stay on it's on. It's now in every type of music (especially RnB) and it has killed RnB.

Hip-Hop was just supposed to be the next phase like Disco in the lat 70s and die off, but it has stayed for 30 some years.

Also, the cheapest form of music to make. How many rapper do we know compared to a guitar player or a drummer? And if we know a singer, they mostly sing this new form of RnB which is singing over an RnB beat.

If y'all watched the Soul Train Awards the other night, Anita Baker said she was happy to see real musicians still around.

Last edited by L.Kizzle : 11-30-2010 at 03:33 AM.
L.Kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 03:33 AM   #3
Mr. Grieves
He shoots, he bricks.

Agree and I like my share of rap.

But in all the #1 hits these days, the rappers are so ****ing bad. It's all autotuned, and it's always the same subject, money+hoes+partying.
Mr. Grieves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 03:36 AM   #4
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
100% true and this is coming from a hip-hop lover.

And it's not that it should have stayed underground, it should just stay on it's on. It's now in every type of music (especially RnB) and it has killed RnB.

Hip-Hop was just supposed to be the next phase like Disco in the lat 70s and die off, but it has stayed for 30 some years.

I don't think disco died per se, I think it evolved and I can post examples. I agree that many naysayers were stating that hip hop was gonna die, but it slapped them hard in the face.

Now.... let me clarify something (not necessarily to you, but in general).

When I stated that hiphop should've stayed underground, I didn't mean for the 'sound' to be underground. I meant that the culture should've stayed how it was before it blew up and raped.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:39 AM   #5
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

It has to do with the money. Artists just put out whatever crap will get the most play on the radio, so they make stuff that appeals to the lowest common denominator.
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 03:40 AM   #6
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by andgar923
I don't think disco died per se, I think it evolved and I can post examples. I agree that many naysayers were stating that hip hop was gonna die, but it slapped them hard in the face.

Now.... let me clarify something (not necessarily to you, but in general).

When I stated that hiphop should've stayed underground, I didn't mean for the 'sound' to be underground. I meant that the culture should've stayed how it was before it blew up and raped.
You mean like House-Electro-Techno-Dance-Trance music? I think all of that is very different from disco, (if that's what you're talking about?)
Old 11-30-2010, 03:43 AM   #7
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

Hip Hop isn't going away because it's easy to make and push on teenagers.

Catchy beat + catchy punch line chorus + autotune + some reference to a recent trend = food for teenage minds.

And these guys can crank out an album in a week, because it isn't art, they just stick to the formula.

All that said, I was apart of the underground scene in Cali for a few years, and there were some really talented people making some good hip hop music... you just don't hear it in the mainstream much.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 03:46 AM   #8
Jackass18
The Iron Price

How can you blame hip hop? Blame the people who make shitty music and the people that buy it.
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 03:49 AM   #9
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

Quote:
You mean like House-Electro-Techno-Dance-Trance music? I think all of that is very different from disco, (if that's what you're talking about?)

Yup

It aint much different from disco, specially house music.

if we track the evolution of Disco and as it progressed its rather simple to see how it 'evolved' over time, as the technology evolved.

At first it was live bands with horns, but as technology evolved, more and more synths and drum machines became common. Many believe that disco died in the early 80s, but it wasn't.... maybe in the mainstream listener's radar it did, but it lived on in the underground clubs, gay clubs and latino clubs, it just evolved into Hi-Energy, and Italian disco. House music is disco's next leap forward, we can still hear it today as some house producers still base their sampling around black-disco and soul music.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:51 AM   #10
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

Quote:
Yup

It aint much different from disco, specially house music.

if we track the evolution of Disco and as it progressed its rather simple to see how it 'evolved' over time, as the technology evolved.

At first it was live bands with horns, but as technology evolved, more and more synths and drum machines became common. Many believe that disco died in the early 80s, but it wasn't.... maybe in the mainstream listener's radar it did, but it lived on in the underground clubs, gay clubs and latino clubs, it just evolved into Hi-Energy, and Italian disco. House music is disco's next leap forward, we can still hear it today as some house producers still base their sampling around black-disco and soul music.
You may be right.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:53 AM   #11
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackass18
How can you blame hip hop? Blame the people who make shitty music and the people that buy it.
The music industry is what ruined good music.
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 03:54 AM   #12
Mr. Grieves
He shoots, he bricks.

Quote:
This song plays more like a Too Short record instead of an early Whitney or Mariah.

That song sucks. But Keri Hilson was slutting it up so much I couldn't look away. Damn record execs.

It probably helps this current trend of shiat that things are so explicit these days. Sex sells, and that makes me a voyeur.
Mr. Grieves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 03:54 AM   #13
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

Quote:
You may be right.
Check this out:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...7013777292744#

My uncle used to dj and the disco music Hi-energy, Italo-disco is disco evolved, which became house music.

Either way.... whether you like disco, house etc. this video is a must watch.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:57 AM   #14
Hotlantadude81
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
I'ma say something that's gonna piss off 90% of the board.

Hip hop ruined music.

Hip hop becoming big and mainstream infiltrated into pop and r&b, and really sunk it to a lower level. Sadly, the genre that suffered the most is r&b.

I'm sure somebody will provide with some links to some r&b that doesn't suck, and somebody will say that 'most' music sucks.... but never like this.

I aint saying that hip hop is a bad thing. I think hip hop should've stayed underground (damn right!). I wish hip hop artists didn't become pop culture icons, or multi millionaires with their faces everywhere I turn.

Why am I blaming hip hop?

Musicality is gone for the most part.

Pop and r&b music has become 'beat' driven, lyrics have become even more watered down, and the singing has been sunk to an all time low.

Not to long ago, we still had r&b groups, and good singing. But its no coincidence that as hip hop rose in popularity and hip hop and r&b became more and more intertwined, the quality of pop and r&b declined.

Sure, the airwaves have mostly been ruled by some of the weaker songs and artists, but we can do a comparison between the music from the 80s, 90s and today and link it to hip hop's rise. We'll notice a trend that shows r&b and pop music declining in quality as the unification between hip hop and these other genres rises.

This song plays more like a Too Short record instead of an early Whitney or Mariah. Hell.... all we gotta do is compare the two artists I just mentioned and compare their earlier music to today's. The quality in their work takes a dip, as it becomes more and more hip hop-centric.

It's also of no coincidence that as hip hop and r&b/pop become more intertwined, its quality also suffers.

MTV. Music has only got worse since MTV begin.
Hotlantadude81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:00 AM   #15
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da KO King
The music industry is what ruined good music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotlantadude81
MTV. Music has only got worse since MTV begin.

Both essentially come down to the money.
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: