Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: This is why I believe in God.

Quote Originally Posted by shlver
    I don't really want to get into a debate about God at the moment. I just wanted to spread the good news.
    Thread Title: This is why I believe in God.

If what you say above is true then you would've said something along the lines of 'Great News!' or 'My Grandma is much healthier', not a statement about your faith in imaginary beings.

Decent college freshman supersmashbros's Avatar

I don't really want to get into a debate about God at the moment. I just wanted to spread the good news.
    That's good. I don't like debating about the existence of something that can't be proven.

코비=GOAT

Quote Originally Posted by DonDadda59
    Thread Title: This is why I believe in God.

If what you say above is true then you would've said something along the lines of 'Great News!' or 'My Grandma is much healthier', not a statement about your faith in imaginary beings.
    I didn't say this is why God exists. I said This is why I believe in God.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

It's all perfectly reaonsable for the things said...to be said.

The only time I've felt close to a "sign from God" was in Canada. We went bike riding in the woods and according to the park employees, there had been quite a few bear sightings. About 5 minutes into the ride, my brother injured himself really bad thus cutting our time short. Maybe it was a protection from bears but probably not considering people get injured from bike accidents all the time.

~the original p.tiddy~ ~primetime~'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by supersmashbros
    That's good. I don't like debating about the existence of something that can't be proven.
    Has anyone ever just walked up and kicked you in the balls?

And you didn't know why?

Decent college freshman supersmashbros's Avatar

I didn't say this is why God exists. I said This is why I believe in God.
    Believing in God is the same thing as saying God exists. By not believing in God, God doesn't exist because God hasn't been proven to exist. If something has been proven to exist (like the fact that the Earth is round not flat) then not believing in it doesn't change reality. In the case of God, not believing in it means it doesn't exist, and believing in it doesn't make it exist in reality.

Quote Originally Posted by ~primetime~
    good story...

to those trying to dump on the story:

life itself is a complete miracle
    Well put.

I don't believe in God because there are so many contradictions with God. How come God let's some ppl die while others live? Some ppl are terrible, disgusting pricks God let's live and 'good' ppl sometimes perish for no reason. I doubt the divine punishment thing. It's superstition.
    I guess you could say its the price we pay for free will/freedom?

Good college starter Eldrunko247's Avatar

Why does god create rapists, murderers, and serial killers? God has a plan for everyone you say? What were his plans for babies being killed by pedos? Don't cherry pick religion.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldrunko247
    Why does god create rapists, murderers, and serial killers? God has a plan for everyone you say? What were his plans for babies being killed by pedos? Don't cherry pick religion.
    so the reason you don't believe in God is because life here in this universe isn't just mindless bliss and love without anything at all to disrupt it?

what would be the point of that?

think of life like a movie...do you want a little action in your movie?...or do you just want it to be a 24/7 video of "Shiney Happy People" by REM?

pain and suffering here is short term...VERY short term, you could be here to either serve a tiny simple purpose or to learn a lesson...or to be faced with a choice...or all of those

Quote Originally Posted by ~primetime~
    so the reason you don't believe in God is because life here in this universe isn't just mindless bliss and love without anything at all to disrupt it?
    There is a difference between believing in God, and believing he's responsible for cherry picked good things.

think of life like a movie...do you want a little action in your movie?...or do you just want it to be a 24/7 video of "Shiney Happy People" by REM?

pain and suffering here is short term...VERY short term, you could be here to either serve a tiny simple purpose or to learn a lesson...or to be faced with a choice...or all of those
    It doesn't change the fact that some people think everything that happens is because God willed it to happen. That is incorrect. God may have a purpose which will be fulfilled in the future, but that doesn't mean he specifically caused some wacko to hack up a child after raping them. The point is God doesn't necessarily have a hand in every good or bad thing, and believing that doesn't mean one doesn't believe in God.

congratulations dude. i don't know you at all but i'm really glad your grandma's okay! if believing in God helps you in life, by all means continue

Good for you, glad your grandma is ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Showtime
    There is a difference between believing in God, and believing he's responsible for cherry picked good things.

It doesn't change the fact that some people think everything that happens is because God willed it to happen. That is incorrect. God may have a purpose which will be fulfilled in the future, but that doesn't mean he specifically caused some wacko to hack up a child after raping them. The point is God doesn't necessarily have a hand in every good or bad thing, and believing that doesn't mean one doesn't believe in God.
    I agree with all of this...

although I believe in what NDEers say, "God" is not a single entity at all...he is everyone and everything..."He" can't really will anything so to speak...

"God" is just a term used to describe our true selves as far as I am concerned...the part of us that is trapped in the flesh...

I don't believe in God because there are so many contradictions with God. How come God let's some ppl die while others live? Some ppl are terrible, disgusting pricks God let's live and 'good' ppl sometimes perish for no reason. I doubt the divine punishment thing. It's superstition.
    i used to be a big god believer, then i went through an emo stage in high school and stopped believing. but now i'm really convinced that there is a god or atleast a higher being, and i'm not talking about the god/jesus in the bible. the only reasoon i do believe in a god is cause, i can't imagine how science could explain the feeling you get during those special moments in your life. whether it be your first child being born, or the pain you would feel inside if you lost your whole family..

Quote Originally Posted by DonDadda59
    I'm glad your grandmother is ok, and you should be thankful for that.

But saying this is why you believe in God, what do you believe when you hear a story like this?

What about 9-11, what about the hundreds of horrible things that happen to innocent people on a daily basis? Just doesn't make any sense why one example of something good would reaffirm your faith but the thousands of negative occurrences you overlook. Does 'God' not have a hand in these also?
    The following was written by Ben Stein and recited by him on CBS Sunday Morning Commentary.

My confession:

I am a Jew, and every single one of my ancestors was Jewish. And it does not bother me even a little bit when people call those beautiful lit up, bejeweled trees Christmas trees. I don't feel threatened. I don't feel discriminated against. That's what they are: Christmas trees.

It doesn't bother me a bit when people say, 'Merry Christmas' to me. I don't think they are slighting me or getting ready to put me in a ghetto. In fact, I kind of like it. It shows that we are all brothers and sisters celebrating this happy time of year. It doesn't bother me at all that there is a manger scene on display at a key intersection near my beach house in Malibu . If people want a creche, it's just as fine with me as is the Menorah a few hundred yards away.

I don't like getting pushed around for being a Jew, and I don't think Christians like getting pushed around for being Christians. I think people who believe in God are sick and tired of getting pushed around, period. I have no idea where the concept came from that America is an explicitly atheist country. I can't find it in the Constitution and I don't like it being shoved down my throat.

Or maybe I can put it another way: where did the idea come from that we should worship Nick and Jessica and we aren't allowed to worship God as we understand Him? I guess that's a sign that I'm getting old, too. But there are a lot of us who are wondering where Nick and Jessica came from and where the America we knew went to.

In light of the many jokes we send to one another for a laugh, this is a little different: This is not intended to be a joke; it's not funny, it's intended to get you thinking.

Billy Graham's daughter was interviewed on the Early Show and Jane Clayson asked her 'How could God let something like this happen?' (regarding Katrina) Anne Graham gave an extremely profound and insightful response. She said, 'I believe God is deeply saddened by this, just as we are, but for years we've been telling God to get out of our schools, to get out of our government and to get out of our lives. And being the gentleman He is, I believe He has calmly backed out. How can we expect God to give us His blessing and His protection if we demand He leave us alone?'

In light of recent events...terrorists attack, school shootings, etc. I think it started when Madeleine Murray O'Hare (she was murdered, her body found recently) complained she didn't want prayer in our schools, and we said OK. Then someone said you better not read the Bible in school. The Bible says thou shalt not kill, thou shalt not steal, and love your neighbor as yourself. And we said OK.

Then Dr. Benjamin Spock said we shouldn't spank our children when they misbehave because their little personalities would be warped and we might damage their self-esteem (Dr. Spock's son committed suicide). We said an expert should know what he's talking about. And we said OK.

Now we're asking ourselves why our children have no conscience, why they don't know right from wrong, and why it doesn't bother them to kill strangers, their classmates, and themselves.

Probably, if we think about it long and hard enough, we can figure it out. I think it has a great deal to do with 'WE REAP WHAT WE SOW.'

Funny how simple it is for people to trash God and then wonder why the world's going to hell. Funny how we believe what the newspapers say, but question what the Bible says. Funny how you can send 'jokes' through e-mail and they spread like wildfire but when you start sending messages regarding the Lord, people think twice about sharing. Funny how lewd, crude, vulgar and obscene articles pass freely through cyberspace, but public discussion of God is suppressed in the school and workplace.

Are you laughing?

Funny how when you forward this message, you will not send it to many on your address list because you're not sure what they believe, or what they will think of you for sending it.

Funny how we can be more worried about what other people think of us than what God thinks of us.

Pass it on if you think it has merit. If not then just discard it... no one will know you did. But, if you discard this thought process, don't sit back and complain about what bad shape the world is in. My Best Regards.

Honestly and respectfully,

Ben Stein
    Last edited by Penny37; 08-18-2009 at 02:14 AM.