Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Disturbing Stats

I know 3 games is a very small sample but bear in mind this team actually had full training camp. Supposedly, MDA is an offensive genius, lots of guys have a chip on their shoulder and playing hard. Ball rotation should be better esp without Kobe..etc.
    Team is averaging 40.5% FG, 16 turnovers, out assisted by 6, outrebounded etc.
    Nash who rested after 1 game is shooting 18%, 5 assists should be ok since he is just ave 22 mins but he is also commiting 2.5 turnovers.
    Nick Young who looked great in the preseason is shooting 27%, .3 assists,
    Blake who took half of his FGs from the 3pt line is shooting 28.6%, 28 shots total and yet just scored 22 pts(3 games total). Why? ZERO freethrows.
    Gasol is just shooting 46%, 3.33 turnovers,
    Shawne Williams is shooting 20%, only TWO Fts in 3 games and yet bravely took 6 3pt shots.
    opponents are shooting 47.5% from the floor.
    The good news is the past 3 games are against top 12 teams in the league IMO.
    But Im very concern about Steve Nash, without Kobe and MDA really managing his minutes... he should be more producting when he is on the floor. He is the best shooter and yet he just took 2 3pt shots in 3games.
    Pau now is THE CENTER, and yet has doubled the 3pt shots taken by Nash, albeit he made half of them but still, he is only taking 3.3 FT attempts/game.
    I don't have their shot chart, but they are taking waaay too many low % shots and worst is that I strongly believe that they have allowed too many layups(don't have an actual stats)
    Last edited by tamaraw08; 11-02-2013 at 01:12 PM.

NBA lottery pick Lakers_Kobe_Fan's Avatar

Default Re: Disturbing Stats

this season is a wash...dont care about it...

Nash is done....1/8 yesterday..forget about not playing B2B he should just retire.
    Blake is pg who cant finish at the line 1/12 yet farmar only played 16 mins
    Shwane williams should be out of league now
    JHill should be getting more then 30mins
    young is what he is...a journeyman...i dont know why you expected him to be anything else...
    why is wesley johnson playing 4?

somehow meeks has been playing good...Xenry is who he is...

did you check Pau taking all those 15-18ft jumpers? can he be atleast a little bit physical and play down low? or he is allergic to contact?

I can give some games for Shawne williams @3 but if he didnt perform get him out of here

nash/farmar/blake
    young/meeks
    williams/henry/wesley
    kaman/jHill
    Pau/jhill

Quote Originally Posted by tamaraw08
    I know 3 games is a very small sample but bear in mind this team actually had full training camp. Supposedly, MDA is an offensive genius, lots of guys have a chip on their shoulder and playing hard. Ball rotation should be better esp without Kobe..etc.
    Team is averaging 40.5% FG, 16 turnovers, out assisted by 6, outrebounded etc.
    Nash who rested after 1 game is shooting 18%, 5 assists should be ok since he is just ave 22 mins but he is also commiting 2.5 turnovers.
    Nick Young who looked great in the preseason is shooting 27%, .3 assists,
    Blake who took half of his FGs from the 3pt line is shooting 28.6%, 28 shots total and yet just scored 22 pts(3 games total). Why? ZERO freethrows.
    Gasol is just shooting 46%, 3.33 turnovers,
    Shawne Williams is shooting 20%, only TWO Fts in 3 games and yet bravely took 6 3pt shots.
    opponents are shooting 47.5% from the floor.
    The good news is the past 3 games are against top 12 teams in the league IMO.
    But Im very concern about Steve Nash, without Kobe and MDA really managing his minutes... he should be more producting when he is on the floor. He is the best shooter and yet he just took 2 3pt shots in 3games.
    Pau now is THE CENTER, and yet has doubled the 3pt shots taken by Nash, albeit he made half of them but still, he is only taking 3.3 FT attempts/game.
    I don't have their shot chart, but they are taking waaay too many low % shots and worst is that I strongly believe that they have allowed too many layups(don't have an actual stats)
    This team is exactly what No D Toni wants them to be, nothing more, nothing less than a shot jacking no defense playing team. Don't ever expect anything different. Don't blame Pau, the coach has always said he hates the post game and will not try to get the ball into the post, he tells Pau to shoot the 3 ball.....so how can you blame him. As was said, this season is a joke, just be happy with whatever wins we get.

I don't expect anything this year. Neither does anyone else out there (except kkinchen who predicted Laker championship this year ). I can't even name half of the Laker roster..

Anyways, this has become a complete run-and-gun squad this year. Last year, MDA had no choice but to cater a bit to Dwight to try to get him to stay. With Dwight out of the way, post-play is almost irrelevant and unnecessary. Sad but true.. Gasol alone isn't going to cut it in the paint since he is obviously not a banger. We have zero physicality in the paint (just Hill but he won't get starter minutes).

Then you have very young perimeter players with little or no NBA-level experience. These guys are learning on the job with the coaching staff still trying to figure out how to divide the playing time. Nash is too old, and has slowed down significantly. He can't lead these kids since they have to limit his playing time. We kind of miss Ron Ron out on the perimeter and obviously miss Kobe's leadership. It's a recipe for DISASTER!

Defense? Horrendous. The few good man-on-man defenders we had are gone or injured. Namely Dwight, Ron, & Kobe. We will have to see who from our young bench is capable of being a defensive-stopper going forward. Then you add in an offensive-minded coach? Fini.

More on Kobe.. I seriously hope he returns within next 2 weeks or we won't win more than 30 games this season. Maybe 30 wins is a good thing.. We can trade up and get a top10 pick AND perhaps sign up Carmelo and one other star like Danny Granger or Deng (Can Deng play PF?). Then re-sign Kobe/Gasol ofc..

PG - Might be time to try and ship out Nash. Clear up even more salary going into next summer. Lakers should make Farmar the main backup PG - Blake's days are numbered. We just need a starting level league-average PG.. Kyle Lowry will be an unrestricted FA. Would be perfect.
    SF - We will need a SF badly if Carmelo stays in NY or goes elsewhere. Deng, Granger, Ariza, Butler are possibilities.
    PF/C - Not many PF that will be UFA. Gotta hold onto Gasol.. or trade him for a younger PF/C like Greg Monroe or Cousins (terrible attitude but he may change if he comes to a big market team like LAL) or Al Jefferson. Maybe trade Gasol for Derrick Favors if Jazz decide to go separate ways. Then there is Kevin Love or Pekovic - maybe trade Gasol for one of them??
    Last edited by bladefd; 11-02-2013 at 06:43 PM.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by tamaraw08
    Supposedly, MDA is an offensive genius, lots of guys have a chip on their shoulder and playing hard. Ball rotation should be better esp without Kobe..etc.
    He is no genius. He is just a bad coach. Simple O, bad D. In other words, he makes lots of money for very little work. "boys, lets try hard on D and shoot within 7 seconds on O."

We just don't have the talent. I like our effort but most of these guys are sloppy players and 40% shooters... How are you supposed to win with that? No matter how much effort you are putting in.

But at least we are playing hard. If we keep playing hard I can get behind them. I love Jordan Hill man that guy is just pure effort.

NBA sixth man of the year

Quote Originally Posted by bladefd

PG - Might be time to try and ship out Nash. Clear up even more salary going into next summer. Lakers should make Farmar the main backup PG - Blake's days are numbered. We just need a starting level league-average PG.. Kyle Lowry will be an unrestricted FA. Would be perfect.
    SF - We will need a SF badly if Carmelo stays in NY or goes elsewhere. Deng, Granger, Ariza, Butler are possibilities.
    PF/C - Not many PF that will be UFA. Gotta hold onto Gasol.. or trade him for a younger PF/C like Greg Monroe or Cousins (terrible attitude but he may change if he comes to a big market team like LAL) or Al Jefferson. Maybe trade Gasol for Derrick Favors if Jazz decide to go separate ways. Then there is Kevin Love or Pekovic - maybe trade Gasol for one of them??
    I agree with some of the players you think the Lakers should go after. Here's my take based on who's available (Unrestricted free agents and their own free agents):

PG: Kyle Lowry, Daren Collison, Jordan Farmar, Ramon Sessions, Andre Miller, Kirk Hinrich, Nate Robinson, Jerryd Bayless, DJ Augustine, Beno Udrih, Shaun Livingston

SG: Kobe Bryant, Xavier Henry, Rodney Stuckey, Anthony Morrow, Marshon Brooks, Lance Stephenson, Jodie Meeks, Thabo Sefolosha, Shannon Brown

SF: Carmelo Anthony, Trevor Ariza, Shawn Marion, Brandon Rush, Danny Granger, Caron Butler, Earl Clark, Wesley Johnson

PF: Jordan Hill, Lamar Odom, Elton Brand, Boris Diaw, Metta World Peace

C: Pau Gasol, Chris Kaman, Andris Biedrins, Marcin Gortat, Spencer Hawes

Based on the above pool, Lakers somehow get rid of Nash by seasons end and a 62 mill cap space to work with and Kobe taking a paycut, here's the group I try to form:

2015-16 Roster
    PG: Kyle Lowry (2 mill) | Jordan Famar (1 mill)
    SG: Kobe Bryant (20 mill) | Xavier Henry (1 mill)
    SF: Trevor Ariza (2 mill) | Brandon Rush (1 mill) | Boris Diaw (1 mill)
    PF: Carmelo Anthony (20 mill) | Lamar Odom (1 mill) | World Peace (1 mill)
    C: Pau Gasol (10 mill) | Jordan Hill (1 mill) | Robert Sacre (1 mill)

People forget that D'Antoni playing Melo at the 3 alongside Amare at the 4 and Chandler at the 5 didn't work. Gasol definitely has a better jumper than Chandler so it might work with Melo at the 3, Jordan Hill at the 4. However, I think Melo is at his best at the 4 because he can break down literally any PF in this game and is strong enough to hold his own defensively. Plus I like Pau at the 5 since he gets to be in the post.

This way, the Lakers have a versatile lock down wing defender in Ariza in the starting lineup to balance it all out. Lowry is about as tough as they get. I've seen him give Westbrook and Cp3 problems defensively. The bench unit pretty much stays intact with few upgrades and chemistry improves with return of Lamar Odom and World Peace, Laker favorites from day 1.

Please make it happen Mitch!!

NBA lottery pick Lakers_Kobe_Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BallsOut
    I agree with some of the players you think the Lakers should go after. Here's my take based on who's available (Unrestricted free agents and their own free agents):

PG: Kyle Lowry, Daren Collison, Jordan Farmar, Ramon Sessions, Andre Miller, Kirk Hinrich, Nate Robinson, Jerryd Bayless, DJ Augustine, Beno Udrih, Shaun Livingston

SG: Kobe Bryant, Xavier Henry, Rodney Stuckey, Anthony Morrow, Marshon Brooks, Lance Stephenson, Jodie Meeks, Thabo Sefolosha, Shannon Brown

SF: Carmelo Anthony, Trevor Ariza, Shawn Marion, Brandon Rush, Danny Granger, Caron Butler, Earl Clark, Wesley Johnson

Based on the above pool, Lakers somehow get rid of Nash by seasons end and a 62 mill cap space to work with and Kobe taking a paycut, here's the group I try to form:

2015-16 Roster

People forget that D'Antoni playing Melo at the 3 alongside Amare at the 4 and Chandler at the 5 didn't work. Gasol definitely has a better jumper than Chandler so it might work with Melo at the 3, Jordan Hill at the 4. However, I think Melo is at his best at the 4 because he can break down literally any PF in this game and is strong enough to hold his own defensively. Plus I like Pau at the 5 since he gets to be in the post.

This way, the Lakers have a versatile lock down wing defender in Ariza in the starting lineup to balance it all out. Lowry is about as tough as they get. I've seen him give Westbrook and Cp3 problems defensively. The bench unit pretty much stays intact with few upgrades and chemistry improves with return of Lamar Odom and World Peace, Laker favorites from day 1.

lol at those bold names. I would prefer to give that 10mil from Pau to Monroe...he is young atleast...I think Pau's good days are behind him....

kobe needs to take a paycut if he wants to win championship again.

they need 2 young max next yr if kobe wants to win...Pau can go...so can nash

JHill will command more than 1mil...Elton brand is earning 4mil this yr...he is 10times better then hill...

Made that high school varsity squad Frank Foley's Avatar

I'm on Team Riggin' for Wiggins, so I can't be too upset when D'Antoni makes a mess of things this season.

He's truly a bad coach, though. He was at the vanguard of the small ball revolution, but the game has caught up, and he's been exposed as a one-trick pony. Everyone does small ball now, and D'Antoni bullishly sticks to it because it's supposed to be his thing.

This year and last year, his one personnel advantage was size. Instead of maximizing that advantage and tailoring his coaching to the players, he's been trying to put a square peg in a round hole. This is why I've never bought the "it's not his roster" excuse--if the roster doesn't fit your system, you change the system. He's minimized Pau, one of the top post-up players in the league, by playing him outside of the key. He continues to start Williams (who sucks), just because Hill isn't a stretch 4. He plays Wes at the 4, even though his only decent skill is perimeter defense and he gets abused in the post. The Kaman/Pau lineup shows some promise, especially in HORNS sets, but course D'Antoni decides to almost never play them together, because they're both 7 feet tall and D'Antoni needs to have a small-ball 4 in there at all times. He still plays Nash, because Nash is the one who got him to where he's at, even though Nash is horrible now and is pushing our best point (Farmar) to third-string.

As a counter example, look at what McHale's done in Houston. He had two bigs in D12 and Asik, neither of whom could space the floor. McHale's offense last year was awesome, especially when 125-pound Parsons was playing the floor. What does McHale do, when two of his best five plays are both centers? He starts them together. Asik will probably be traded this year, but for now he's on the team, and McHale's made the most of it by emphasizing interior defense and rebounding. I read some stat where Houston grabs like 58% of all available rebounds when Asik and D12 are on the court together. We're only a few games in, but this is a sign that the coach is not being rigid/foolish.

The most frustrating thing about this is that D'Antoni's capable of being a good coach. He draws plays out of timeouts as well as anyone. He's made some adjustments when he's had to (e.g., Lakers/Suns 2006). He's just too ****ing stubborn most of the time to go away from "his" system.

NBA sixth man of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Foley
    I'm on Team Riggin' for Wiggins, so I can't be too upset when D'Antoni makes a mess of things this season.

He's truly a bad coach, though. He was at the vanguard of the small ball revolution, but the game has caught up, and he's been exposed as a one-trick pony. Everyone does small ball now, and D'Antoni bullishly sticks to it because it's supposed to be his thing.

This year and last year, his one personnel advantage was size. Instead of maximizing that advantage and tailoring his coaching to the players, he's been trying to put a square peg in a round hole. This is why I've never bought the "it's not his roster" excuse--if the roster doesn't fit your system, you change the system. He's minimized Pau, one of the top post-up players in the league, by playing him outside of the key. He continues to start Williams (who sucks), just because Hill isn't a stretch 4. He plays Wes at the 4, even though his only decent skill is perimeter defense and he gets abused in the post. The Kaman/Pau lineup shows some promise, especially in HORNS sets, but course D'Antoni decides to almost never play them together, because they're both 7 feet tall and D'Antoni needs to have a small-ball 4 in there at all times. He still plays Nash, because Nash is the one who got him to where he's at, even though Nash is horrible now and is pushing our best point (Farmar) to third-string.

As a counter example, look at what McHale's done in Houston. He had two bigs in D12 and Asik, neither of whom could space the floor. McHale's offense last year was awesome, especially when 125-pound Parsons was playing the floor. What does McHale do, when two of his best five plays are both centers? He starts them together. Asik will probably be traded this year, but for now he's on the team, and McHale's made the most of it by emphasizing interior defense and rebounding. I read some stat where Houston grabs like 58% of all available rebounds when Asik and D12 are on the court together. We're only a few games in, but this is a sign that the coach is not being rigid/foolish.

The most frustrating thing about this is that D'Antoni's capable of being a good coach. He draws plays out of timeouts as well as anyone. He's made some adjustments when he's had to (e.g., Lakers/Suns 2006). He's just too ****ing stubborn most of the time to go away from "his" system.
    I agree with a lot of this. There's absolutely no reason for Shawn Williams to start alongside Pau when Jordan Hill is way better than him and has shown great chemistry playing alongside Pau. Hell Shawn Williams should never play more than 10 minutes a game for them.

The reason the Lakers lost last game was because Boris Diaw kept abusing Wesley Johnson in the post for the entire 4th quarter. Wesley Johnson is not a 4 by any imagination, why put a player in such a role he could never possibly be good at? This was a perfect time to go to Shawn Williams who is an excellent post defender.

Other than that, I feel better about his rotations this year than last. He seems to be more flexible with his 2nd unit and is running 10 deep so far this season. Last season he ran 8 and ran Kobe into the ground, though I'm not sure how much of that is his fault since the bench really sucked last year.

I want to see how this team looks when Kobe gets back though.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Foley

I love it when you post!!!!

I just couldn't ever think of anyone as capable of being a good coach when they completely ignore defense.

2015-16 Roster

C'mon homie. This ain't nba 2k.

All of the players you listed will be getting much more higher offers (sans kobe , melo, pau)

Not realistic at all

2015-16 Roster

If this happens i will burn all of my Lakers jersey.

Yeah, Mike D'Antoni isn't a great coach. I want Nash to succeed, but I think he should be playing less minutes than Jordan Farmar. I like Xavier Henry's game. Dude is on a good run right now.
    Pau is definitely taking too many shots, and Chris Kaman isn't being used properly. He went 5/7 with 5 reb last night vs the Hawks. Him & Jordan Hill deserve some more playtime.
    I hope LAL gets it going a bit. I know a championship is unlikely, but I'd prefer a playoff berth. It's better to see them try than to give up and tank.

I agree with a lot of this. There's absolutely no reason for Shawn Williams to start alongside Pau when Jordan Hill is way better than him and has shown great chemistry playing alongside Pau. Hell Shawn Williams should never play more than 10 minutes a game for them.
    Other than that, I feel better about his rotations this year than last. He seems to be more flexible with his 2nd unit and is running 10 deep so far this season. Last season he ran 8 and ran Kobe into the ground, though I'm not sure how much of that is his fault since the bench really sucked last year.

I want to see how this team looks when Kobe gets back though.
    Good post esp the bolded one. The perfect excuse last year on why Pau was in the perimeter was bec of the presence of D12 and that they needed to space the floor. Now D-12 is gone and BOTH Pau and Williams are still taking 3pt shots.
    I don't think its not all about just "spacing the floor" as in drawing out defenders so later on you get layups, but it's just plain perimeter shooting.
    Shawne Williams would just bomb away and shoot about 4 3pt shots early even without any teammates positioned for an offensive rebound.
    Adelman positioned his centers like Yao and Divac before in the highpost to generate layups, this team....????
    There's no excuse anymore on why Jordan Hill is not playing more minutes except MDA, flat out don't know how to use him.