Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-14-2007, 08:47 AM   #1
Sagat
Tiger! Tiger!

Sagat has an OK reputation so far
Default NFL Smacks Belichick - HARD

Wow, Roger Goodell has layeth the smack down on the Pats and Bill Belichick.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20765334/

The cheating no-class coach was fined half a million smackers ...

If that wasn't enough, the team will lose their first round draft choice.

Holy hell ...

While Belichick evades suspension, this seems to be an unprecedented punishment. However, with all the mess the NBA and MLB is currently enduring, the NFL needs to stop this right now.

I can see Goodell's hand print on the side of Belichick's face right now. Ouch.
Sagat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 08:55 AM   #2
lurch67
Caution: Adult Content

lurch67 has decent reputation
Default Re: NFL Smacks Belichick - HARD

I think since the were busted prior to Goodell's reign probably factored into the decision. Just imagine if this happened in the NCAA. Their program would be on probation and no ranking or bowl apearances for the duration of the probation.
lurch67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 09:29 AM   #3
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

mlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I thought the punishment was fair. I think a suspension would've been pointless. Belicheck could just work from home and call the shots from there, so that wouldn't have been a fit punishment. The fine is probably just a drop in the bucket for him, like you or I getting $10 taken out of our paychecks. The loss of the draft pick is pretty significant. HOwever, they could always try to trade up and get that pick back. Seems like they are building through free agency, so they aren't relying on the draft quite like they used to........
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 09:45 AM   #4
Los Angeles
A Diamond In the Rough

Los Angeles has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
The fine is probably just a drop in the bucket for him, like you or I getting $10 taken out of our paychecks.

500,000 dollars is a HUGE fine, I could care less how much you make. That'll cost him atleast 4-5 games pay, I don't know his yearly salary...but that's a hefty fine.

I felt he should have gotten suspended for 4 games as well, at first I though "What's the big deal, he's only scouting" but actually thinking about it, really made me mad. He tarnished the whole point of football, it's completely unsportmanlike...as a fan I felt angry, imagine how other coaches feel right now...knowing Bill had to cheat to out coach them. All this time I thought, what a genius...he could read the other team perfectly, he always seems to make the right call...wonder why eh?

In football you prepare a whole week for a team, and for another team to be able to read your signals...something you work hard with your team to keep behind closed doors, he fully deserved this punishment...it could have been a lot more severe as well.

By the way, the biggest punishment to him was not the draft picks or the fine...it was his legacy as a coach, it'll be forever tarnished as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited by Los Angeles : 09-14-2007 at 09:47 AM.
Los Angeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 09:51 AM   #5
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

mlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Angeles
500,000 dollars is a HUGE fine, I could care less how much you make. That'll cost him atleast 4-5 games pay, I don't know his yearly salary...but that's a hefty fine.

I felt he should have gotten suspended for 4 games as well, at first I though "What's the big deal, he's only scouting" but actually thinking about it, really made me mad. He tarnished the whole point of football, it's completely unsportmanlike...as a fan I felt angry, imagine how other coaches feel right now...knowing Bill had to cheat to out coach them. All this time I thought, what a genius...he could read the other team perfectly, he always seems to make the right call...wonder why eh?

In football you prepare a whole week for a team, and for another team to be able to read your signals...something you work hard with your team to keep behind closed doors, he fully deserved this punishment...it could have been a lot more severe as well.

By the way, the biggest punishment to him was not the draft picks or the fine...it was his legacy as a coach, it'll be forever tarnished as far as I'm concerned.

The players and assistant coaches will probably chip in to help with the fine. Yeah, the whole situation is pretty awful. It really puts everything into question. Was Tom Brady's "uprise" legit, or was he getting "extra" help from Belichick and co. the whole time? What other illegal tactics have they employed? Of course, being the NFL, this will eventually be swept under the rug b/c everything in this league is. It's bulletproof. Belichick's legacy will be harmed, but the league won't at all. People will keep coming back for more..........
Old 09-14-2007, 10:02 AM   #6
Los Angeles
A Diamond In the Rough

Los Angeles has an OK reputation so far

Why would the league's reputation be tarnished in the first place? I mean they found out and they punished the team. I don't think they condoned that kind of behaviour at any time or let it "slide"...I know they are claiming they caught NE doing that before, but is it hard proof?

Steroids is a lot different, because of the testing policy...many sports don't implement a proper system for that kind of stuff, that's why people question those sports. Football I believe has always had the best commissioner and the best ran league in the world.

Just my opinion though.
Los Angeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 10:07 AM   #7
D-Wade
Great college starter

D-Wade has an OK reputation so far

I don't know why we even went scouting, its not like we needed to. The fine wont hurt anyone, the whole team will proberly chip in a days wages each and pay it but its the 1st round draft pick im bothered about. But then again its not like we would of got top 15!
D-Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 10:13 AM   #8
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

Oh yeah, by the way............if anyone think that THIS board has a troll problem or is full of immature people, just read the espn.com boards. YIKES! Below each story are the reader comments. Makes for some interesting reading, in regards to this story :
Old 09-14-2007, 11:37 AM   #9
BrooklynZoo
The Brooklyn Brawler.

BrooklynZoo has decent reputationBrooklynZoo has decent reputation

did they interview or have a press conference with belichick yet? id like to see the rat try to squirm out of this one
BrooklynZoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 12:05 PM   #10
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year

Da KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputation

This isn't a "hard hit" at all. It's a heavy slap on the wrist at best.

Belichick hasn't been forced to apologize like they have made players do. The team had two first round picks so losing one is not a death penalty. The fine coming from Belichick is significant until you realize that he makes $4 million a year not counting bonuses. The fine against the team isn't a real fine cause they get that much as a team bonus for making the playoffs.

So in reality, Pats lose the lower of their two first rounders, their playoff bonus money (unless they make the Superbowl which means they would only lose half), and their coach pays a heavy fine for breaking an "integrity of the game" rule for at least the second time.
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 12:16 PM   #11
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

not hard enough. Shouldve fined him and made them forfeit the game. Forget the draft picks, they cheated during a game, were caught. In any other league (peewee, hs, etc) you would forfeit the game.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 03:27 PM   #12
Xplicit
Great young streetballer

Xplicit has an OK reputation so far

Smacked hard my ass. Yeah the fine is steep, but he didnt even get suspended! In a way, this is even worse than steroids. If Merriman gets 4 games for steroids, Belichek deserves at least 4 games.
Xplicit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 05:11 PM   #13
AceVenturaPetDet
Local High School Star

AceVenturaPetDet has an OK reputation so far

Belichicken is worse than Pete Rose, Michael vick, donahy, Barry bonds/roid and chris andersen combined. They should've suspended his azz for the rest of the season.
AceVenturaPetDet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 05:18 PM   #14
hwliuLAP
Local High School Star

hwliuLAP is a pretty well-respected posterhwliuLAP is a pretty well-respected posterhwliuLAP is a pretty well-respected poster

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3019472

this guy knows what he's talking about

Quote:
"I would say there is definitely a double standard being applied here," Wilson said Friday when reached at his home near the team's practice facility. "I don't want to be seen as a crybaby or as someone questioning the commissioner's decision, but I see some major inconsistencies here.

"To me, they're holding the organization accountable instead of the person."

On Sept. 1, the NFL suspended Wilson for five games and fined him $100,000 -- nearly a third of his salary. Wilson, who has suffered from diabetes for 24 years, admitted he purchased medication -- believed to be human growth hormone -- that is banned under the league's substance abuse policy (at the time he said he did not know the rule applied to coaches as well as players). Wilson did so while working as an assistant coach for the Chicago Bears and turned over phone records and credit card receipts in a seemingly successful attempt to convince the league he was taking them for his own personal benefit and not distributing them to players.

"They were concerned about distributing, and I was cleared of that or I was told I would have been banned from the NFL for life," Wilson said. "I don't want to bash the commissioner, but I definitely think there are some inconsistencies here. Intent was a big issue in my defense. What their [Patriots] intent was, I don't know. But I was just taking my punishment, and I guess what the commissioner does with Belichick is his business, but I think there are some inconsistencies here."
hwliuLAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 05:23 PM   #15
jjswifty

jjswifty has an incredible reputation herejjswifty has an incredible reputation herejjswifty has an incredible reputation herejjswifty has an incredible reputation herejjswifty has an incredible reputation herejjswifty has an incredible reputation herejjswifty has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynZoo
did they interview or have a press conference with belichick yet? id like to see the rat try to squirm out of this one

He already released a statement. He pretty much said he didnt know and had a misunderstandment of what the rule really means. I mean cmon, this is a man that prides himself on his smarts and hes telling us he didnt understand the rule. BS!!
jjswifty is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: