Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: McDermott

Default Re: McDermott

Quote Originally Posted by (e)
    Watched him quite a bit his senior season, but not a whole lot prior - so I wouldn't of noticed the things he really improved on.

I've been surprised with his defense though (at least compared to what everyone was knocking him for). His positioning has been pretty good. The only thing knock is he's been late on some rotations giving up open 3 pointers, but he isn't really getting killed off the bounce.

He also played against bigs in college correct? Wasn't really playing against wing guys on the perimeter - so there has to be some adjustment there.

I know it's kind of a cop out since he's also a Bull - but nobody really praises Mike Dunleavy for being a good defender, but he's a great team defender. Usually in the right positions and always at least making guys shoot over the top of him - seems like McDermott should be similar in that aspect.
    He played PF mostly, but slid to SF some depending on match ups.

Like I said, with a professional S&C staff, he can improve on his lateral quickness if the fundamentals are already in place.

The biggest thing with him, that I think most people take for granted, is he was Creighton's only offensive threat. He averaged 27ppg, while the next best scorer on the team averaged 11 (those were the only two players in double digit scoring), so he was constantly double and triple teamed almost every time down the floor. Despite all that, he still managed to shoot 53% from the floor and 45% from deep.

Dude is a baller. He has a high basketball IQ, and at 6'8" he has the size to shoot over some SF's and the speed to get around the rest. Best part is, when he gets fouled, he'll just go to the line and shoot 87% from there too. His rebounds will always be there (he's got that rebounding 'vision' that can't be taught), and for a dude who had the ball in his hands 80% of the time and the constant pressure and traps he faced, 2 TO per game seems like nothing, hence the high IQ.

with God-given ass JimmyMcAdocious's Avatar

McDermott's (the coach) system relies on ball movement and team play. So while he was the "only" scoring option, it wasn't like what TJ Warren had to deal with based on what I watched last season.

And McDermott did struggle against NBA length. Baylor, North Carolina, Duke...

I like him as a prospect, tho. He's not just a shooter. You watched him last year and he moves very well off the ball, obviously can shoot, and he makes ridiculously contested shots with ease. Granted, there is a difference between shooting over some Seton Hall wing and Paul George, but he has shown to have very promising shot making ability along with his overall shooting. He has a fire lit under him as well. The mental makeup is there.

I think he's a good bench scorer for a contending team, but he could probably be a mid-high teen, high percentage, player in the right system. I think he landed in a good spot.

Dunking on everybody in the park MavsPoke's Avatar

There is always a place in the league for a guy that can shoot/score. He will have a long NBA career. Will he be an all-star...nobody knows. But every team needs a guy with his skills. He'll always be cashing a paycheck. Just don't know how big it is right now.

NBA All-star

that 3-10 area is probably a determing factor as to whether or not he could have a decent career in the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyMcAdocious
    McDermott's (the coach) system relies on ball movement and team play. So while he was the "only" scoring option, it wasn't like what TJ Warren had to deal with based on what I watched last season.

And McDermott did struggle against NBA length. Baylor, North Carolina, Duke...

I like him as a prospect, tho. He's not just a shooter. You watched him last year and he moves very well off the ball, obviously can shoot, and he makes ridiculously contested shots with ease. Granted, there is a difference between shooting over some Seton Hall wing and Paul George, but he has shown to have very promising shot making ability along with his overall shooting. He has a fire lit under him as well. The mental makeup is there.

I think he's a good bench scorer for a contending team, but he could probably be a mid-high teen, high percentage, player in the right system. I think he landed in a good spot.
    He played Duke as a junior, and he had damn near half his team's points.

He played UNC as a sophomore and had twice as many points as anyone on his team.

He played Baylor as a senior in the most recent tourney, and while he did have 15 points on 50% shooting, that game was a massacre. It was ugly from the start.

If you want to defend him, length and athleticism is the way to go, but his senior year the dude has become nearly unstoppable on offense. He was doubled as soon as he crossed half court.

I just see him and imagine him coming off a Noah screen for a catch and shoot. You run him along the baseline to the corner off a screen and he'll average 30 points a game.

Quote Originally Posted by GimmeThat
    that 3-10 area is probably a determing factor as to whether or not he could have a decent career in the NBA.
    http://www.shotanalytics.com/2014/06...oug-mcdermott/

A few things to note, and why he will be a success in the NBA.

~ He shot 71% in the paint.
    ~ His scoring is balanced. While his mid-range %'s are lower than his 3pt %'s, it's because his deep game was a product of the pick and pop or coming off screens. Still, he has the ability to knock down the mid-range shot, and if you watch him play, he mastered the Dirk fade away.
    ~ He doesn't shoot much from the corners. You could see it as a negative, but I see it as him staying in the middle of the floor, active, and not slinking off waiting for the ball to come to him.

Hes only limited by what he can do defensively, so landing on a team like Chicago that can teach him how to 'blend in' and play team defense... He'll be an all-star in 4-5 years. Yes, I said that.

Summer league. Freaking Tyrus Thomas has the 3rd highest PER ever.

Quote Originally Posted by christian1923
    yes ! Basketball needs an American white boy star hooper

NBA needs a white American star who has been to the playoffs.

Gentleman Desperado East_Stone_Ya's Avatar

Mike Miller vol.2

Wally world

Quote Originally Posted by UK2K
    He played PF mostly, but slid to SF some depending on match ups.

Like I said, with a professional S&C staff, he can improve on his lateral quickness if the fundamentals are already in place.

The biggest thing with him, that I think most people take for granted, is he was Creighton's only offensive threat. He averaged 27ppg, while the next best scorer on the team averaged 11 (those were the only two players in double digit scoring), so he was constantly double and triple teamed almost every time down the floor. Despite all that, he still managed to shoot 53% from the floor and 45% from deep.

Dude is a baller. He has a high basketball IQ, and at 6'8" he has the size to shoot over some SF's and the speed to get around the rest. Best part is, when he gets fouled, he'll just go to the line and shoot 87% from there too. His rebounds will always be there (he's got that rebounding 'vision' that can't be taught), and for a dude who had the ball in his hands 80% of the time and the constant pressure and traps he faced, 2 TO per game seems like nothing, hence the high IQ.

A great post.

Repped my man