Page 1 of 17 123411 ... LastLast

Default Wilt Chamberlain free throw dunks:

Quote Originally Posted by millwad
    And if he actually used to "dunk" it from the FT-line, just show me one source with some kind of clip or picture that can prove it.
    All I'm asking for is one actual clip or any kind of footage that proves that Wilt even could dunk from the FT-line. I'm not even talking about how it looked when he was going to "shoot" them FT's, in general, when did Wilt ever dunk from the FT-line? And no quote...
    The NCAA Coach's Committee Proposal For 1956 NCAA Rule Changes
    March 24, 1956
    (Nationally Circulated Story)

Near the end of the 1955-56 NCAA season, the Coaches Committee appears to have organized, and voted on taking 4 new rule change suggestions too the next level up (The Rules and Regulations Committee) in the hopes for some new changes that would further diminish the dominance of athletic big men in college basketball. This curtails 2 rule changes that were made the prior season to address the big man dominance of Bill Russell and the other (now forgotten) NCAA stud at the time Bill Uhl. Both of whom were graduating in the next few months - these new rules are quietly focused on the up and coming NCAA big man, Wilt Chamberlain. Highlighted, is 2 rule proposals that are important to note. Releasing the ball from behind the free throw line, and no inbound passes above the backboard.

Two days later: Basketball Rules and Regulations Committee Approves Rule Changes
    March 26, 1956
    (Nationally Circulated Story)

Highlighted: Another rules change says no player may have his foot into the free throw lane when a free throw is attempted until the ball hits the cylinder or backboard. Previously a player could leap into the lane so long as his foot did not touch the floor until the ball hit the cylinder or backboard. "This caused some cheating" said Hayes. "The man on the free throw line would leap into the air and dunk the ball in."
    Interestingly, although they mention Wilt directly in the beginning of this article there is still no specification as to who the cheating free throw dunker/'s is/are. But they definitely are convinced one/some exists. Who could he/they be?... Some of those "unathletic white guys" of that era? Hmmm....

Eight Months Later, A Northwest Ohio Newspaper Runs A Story That Reveals The Previously Unspecified Free Throw Dunker
    November 28, 1956
    The Toledo Blade

The Devil is in the details... And now we've got some. It looks like a fellow by the name of Tex Winter (the coach at Kansas State) was the first man to complain of Wilt Chamberlain dunking free throws to the Coaches Committee.
    It seems Wilt has an unorthodox method of shooting free throws. The big guy takes aim at the basket from several feet behind the line. Then he takes about three giant steps, leaves his feet before reaching the line, and stuffs the ball through the hoop. Under the old rule, it was perfectly legal as Wilt never touched the floor before letting go of the ball. In addition his percentage was fantastic. "Why, he would have had a free throw percentage of 100," said [Tex] Winter. "He never missed." Incidentally the rules committee did not mention Chamberlain by name as a reason for the change. The rule change was made, according to the committee, "to prevent freak activity."

The closest image that exists that shows him taking off near the free throw line. No, of course this isn't the same as the described NCAA free-throw line dunks. Sorry - it's just the next best thing to show he can dunk and leap from near a free throw line. As much as people think photographic or video proof should exist - for w/e reason photographers decided not take pictures of Wilt "fooling around" in the gym as an ineligible freshmen. Which I'm about to touch base on in the next historical piece of information:

Thirty-Three Years Later, Wilt, For The First Time In His Life, Publicly Makes Mention That He Used To Dunk Free Throws As A Freshman In College
    http://articles.latimes.com/1989-02-...tball-player/5
    Los Angeles Times
    February 12, 1989

"When I was a freshman, I fooled around with shooting free throws this way: For some reason, I thought you had to stay within the top half of that free-throw circle, so I would step back to just inside the top of the circle, take off from behind the line and dunk. They outlawed that, but I wouldn't have done it in a game, anyway. I was a good free throw shooter in college."
    Actually he was a 62% free throw shooter, which is poor except in comparison to his 51% as a pro.

Yes, this is the first time Wilt ever even publicly mentions free-throw dunks. Seeing as how he lived in Kansas and how internet newspaper archive's didn't exist from 1956-1989, do you think Wilt ever read the "Toledo Blade"s November 28th 1956 article that mentioned Tex Winter's eye-witness account of Wilt dunking free throws? Why does Wilt state that he only fooled around with doing it as a freshmen in college, isn't that a rather fitting, and specific piece of information based on the previous independent pieces of evidence? ... And does that specific information not tie in eerily perfect with what Tex Winter's is about to say in the very next interview?:

Fifty-Five Years Later Tex Winter Recalls His Eyewitness Account In Detail In An Interview About Coaching Against Wilt Chamberlain
    BBall Breakdown
    August 1st, 2011

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyz-FhP2ONk&t=3m16s
    Literally, almost word for word what he says perfectly matches every event that previously was recorded in history. Wilt and Tex never personally met. Wilt and the majority of basketball fans probably never had access to the Toledo Blade unless they lived in Northwest Ohio. Yet all of this is making incredibly good sense, and is spot on, including side-note information like Tex shedding light on why other rule changes made plays illegal such as lobbing the ball over the backboard to Chamberlain on inbound plays. There aren't any holes in the evidence of this at all.
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 02-26-2012 at 07:01 AM.

Default Re: Wilt Chamberlain free throw dunks:

The amount of Wilt hate on this board is hilarious. I'm sure Deuce Bigalow will come in with some skewed statistics within the next ten hours. Because that's all Deuce does -- attack players.

Still haven't read, but that image looks more to me like he was grabbing a rebound. I mean he's jumping off his right leg, with the ball in his right hand, in a sort of weird position. If he were to do a free throw line type dunk, being a righty, he would jump off his leg, with his right leg going forward, ball on right hand, and vice versa if he were lefty.

NBA rookie of the year

Listen, OP, you seem butthurt.
    It's one thing to dunk from the FT-line and it's another thing to dunk from the FT-line with the small steps like Jlauber claim that Wilt did. It's not possible to dunk from the FT-line without a certain amount of speed and 3 small steps ain't going to do it...

Are we supposed to believe that Wilt had the greatest leaping ability in league history?

Banned

That's a pretty awkward rebound. I'd say he's going up for a layup, but I'll take Cavaliers word for it.

millwad, quit trying to act like you're right.

NBA rookie of the year

And haha, you missed my "no quotes" part obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by jstern

Still haven't read, but that image looks more to me like he was grabbing a rebound. I mean he's jumping off his right leg, with the ball in his right hand, in a sort of weird position. If he were to do a free throw line type dunk, being a righty, he would jump off his leg, with his right leg going forward, ball on right hand, and vice versa if he were lefty.
    In that era the paint was always crowded with bodies unless one team/player out ran the rest. The paint in that image is wide open. Wilt is taking off, and the two players look like they're slowing down giving up on a chase. This is almost certainly a fast break play. Not a rebound. There's nobody else in sight except him, two guys and a ref that's also running forward.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by mrpibb
    That's a pretty awkward rebound. I'd say he's going up for a layup, but I'll take Cavaliers word for it.

millwad, quit trying to act like you're right.
    All I asked for was a freaking photograph, some kind of record or video footage of anything even close to a free throw line dunk...

We've heard them Wilt quotes before, according to quotes he had a 50 inch vertical and he was a worldclass volleyball player while in fact he played in a league where women and men played on the same teams, for ONE year...

So they made a rule based on a rumor? A rumor?

Listen, OP, you seem butthurt.
    It's one thing to dunk from the FT-line and it's another thing to dunk from the FT-line with the small steps like Jlauber claim that Wilt did. It's not possible to dunk from the FT-line without a certain amount of speed and 3 small steps ain't going to do it...

Are we supposed to believe that Wilt had the greatest leaping ability in league history?
    Did he, or did he not take 3 steps to dunk a free throw.

Yes or No?

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    In that era the paint was always crowded with bodies unless one team/player out ran the rest. The paint in that image is wide open. Wilt is taking off, and the two players look like they're slowing down giving up on a chase. This is almost certainly a fast break play. Not a rebound. There's nobody else in sight except him, two guys and a ref that's also running forward.
    Why would he jump with his right foot? Anyway, that picture doesn't prove anything at all, as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by mrpibb
    So they made a rule based on a rumor? A rumor?

read the papers lol

Tex Winter - Chairmen of the NCAA Coaches Committee flat out claims he witnessed it. Not a "rumor". It all falls on him. Send him a letter in the mail if you want to criticize someone, he's the eyewitness. Chamberlain also later claimed he did it, independently of that. And his story and Tex's story matched with an identical time frame (his freshman year in college). Too many things are a coincidence here. Don't be stupid
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 02-26-2012 at 07:12 AM.

Read my previous posts.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    Did he, or did he not take 3 steps to dunk a free throw.

Yes or No?
    Are you retarded?
    I challenged the nonsense your buttyboy Jlauber put up on here regarding the 3 small step dunk from the FT-line.

Ibaka can dunk from the FT-line but he's an athletic freak and he needed a full court run to do it, the nonsense about the 3 small step dunk from the FT-line is obvious BS.

If Ibaka could maybe Wilt could as well, I never challenged that..