Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    High School Varsity 6th Man

Default ☆Official 2016 Lakers Draft Thread | Ben Simmons, Brandon Ingram train

All the mock drafts have us taking Brandon Ingram with the number 2 pick. I like that pick alot, especially if we get Durant also. I wouldn't mind if we took a gamble on Thon Maker either with our top pick. For those of you who dont konw about Maker, check this out.....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UC-Icj3FI18

Pairing him with Randle could make for a hellacious frontcourt for the rest of the league.

NBA lottery pick

Default Re: Lakers Draft Thread

No way Thon Maker is even close to a lottery pick. That would be crazy. We just have to hope they land in the top two. That third pick makes things messy. It would be really hard to get a guy there that would fit with their young core, at least if they are drafting based on the best available player. There's not a lot of C's in this draft that look like they could be a difference maker. The Lakers have two PF's so Bender doesn't make sense. If they resign Clarkson and/or go after Derozen it doesn't make sense to go after Kris Dunn. But those top two picks would really help shape the roster and give this team a positive direction.

Home of the 16

Default Re: ☆Official 2016 Lakers Draft Thread | Ben Simmons, Brandon Ingram train

Anyone want to live tweet during the draft? This is huge, bros.

Home of the 16

Default Re: ☆Official 2016 Lakers Draft Thread | Ben Simmons, Brandon Ingram train

ISH live posting, I mean. Stupid me.

NBA lottery pick

I'm sure by now everyone has seen the reports of the Lakers wanting to trade their top pick for Paul George. This would obviously include other assets as well like Randle and/or Russell. I'm not sure I like the idea of gutting the team to get Paul George. He's a really good player but look at what happened to the Knicks when they traded for Carmelo. They're very similar situations. It will take years to get enough around him to win anyhow. So I think the best thing for this team to do would be to draft Ingram or Simmons if they land one of those top two picks. If they get the 3rd then I would explore trades possibly.

Quote Originally Posted by dd24
    I'm sure by now everyone has seen the reports of the Lakers wanting to trade their top pick for Paul George. This would obviously include other assets as well like Randle and/or Russell. I'm not sure I like the idea of gutting the team to get Paul George. He's a really good player but look at what happened to the Knicks when they traded for Carmelo. They're very similar situations. It will take years to get enough around him to win anyhow. So I think the best thing for this team to do would be to draft Ingram or Simmons if they land one of those top two picks. If they get the 3rd then I would explore trades possibly.
    Could this be a Jim Buss' personal agenda of retaining his position?
    Getting a legit allstar now and spending all the available cap money in the summer would enhance their chances of getting into the playoffs. With George on board, it would be relatively easier to convince guys like Horford to join the team as compared to playing with very young players who have about 1-2 years to fully mature and see their peak.
    If Jim keeps the pick, that would leave them with 4 raw players esp the new rookie who needs atleast 1-2 years to show his real worth= he needs to go.
    But in the bigger picture, you potentially will have 4 very good players with rookie/cheap contracts in the next 3-5 years, you then spend that money to add 2-3 very good free agents during that time period.
    Last edited by tamaraw08; 05-07-2016 at 12:50 AM.

NBA lottery pick

For sure, short term they would be better. Long term definitely not. Unless a guy like KD wanted to play with George and then you try to put some pieces around them. I'm not sure George and Horford would be much more than an 8 seed in the West.

Home of the 16

This might be the Lakers just looking for more options, or Jim Buss is activating "moron mode" thinking getting 1 rising franchise player will save his own ass. Mitch has stated (paraphrasing) in his exit interview that you do not get players via trade who are in their mid-late 20's to be your franchise player given the window of opportunity left based on the situation they are in (the Lakers). As what dd24 said, it will take years before they'll see a bit of success.

Let's see: Paul George, 26 years old, then it'd take probably take 2-4 years to get their s* together. 28/30-33 yrs. old before he dramatically declines?

Different story as for getting KD though since they won't have to give up assets, unless it's an SnT, which won't likely to happen. Though, KD + PG might work since both can play without the ball in their hands 24/7 (I notice that KD has been more ball dominant ever than before when SB were coaching them, he used to come off screens way more often than he does now). Very small window of opportunity of success, I feel like.

So, all 3 young core will have bird rights by then, & let's say they do in-fact sign KD, PG might to open to taking a paycut when his contract ends, maybe? LMAO what a stretch.

I still would like to see the Lakers in the draft this year.

p.s. sorry about Detroit. I really saw them winning. Almost had G1 & G2.

NBA lottery pick

I knew Detroit would lose that series. I was upset they made the playoffs in the first place. Being the 8 seed is about the worst situation a team can be in. Not bad enough to get a lottery pick and not good enough to be considered anywhere near a contender. At least with this years draft it's so weak there isn't much difference between having the 10th pick or the 20th.

I would NOT trade top 2 pick for PG. 3rd pick? Sure but Indy wouldn't want that :p

It is best to build through draft if you get a top 2 pick because you are setting yourself up for the next decade and half. In a perfect world, we get a top 2 pick and can somehow land Hortford.. that would still leave lots of cap space to build up the bench. I wouldn't mind sign and trading Clarkson/Lou/future pick for Derozen if possible.

Hortford
    Randle
    Simmons or Ingram
    Derozen
    Russell

How does that look? We would still have money for couple backups for bench..
    Last edited by bladefd; 05-07-2016 at 03:03 AM.

NBA lottery pick

Why sign and trade for Derozen? There's no reason to give all that up for him. He's not restricted. He could go where ever he wants. Give them a 2nd rounder if they don't want him to leave for nothing. Although, with as bad as he's been this series I'm not sure it's worth going after him anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by $LakerGold
    This might be the Lakers just looking for more options, or Jim Buss is activating "moron mode" thinking getting 1 rising franchise player will save his own ass. Mitch has stated (paraphrasing) in his exit interview that you do not get players via trade who are in their mid-late 20's to be your franchise player given the window of opportunity left based on the situation they are in (the Lakers). As what dd24 said, it will take years before they'll see a bit of success.

Let's see: Paul George, 26 years old, then it'd take probably take 2-4 years to get their s* together. 28/30-33 yrs. old before he dramatically declines?

Different story as for getting KD though since they won't have to give up assets, unless it's an SnT, which won't likely to happen. Though, KD + PG might work since both can play without the ball in their hands 24/7 (I notice that KD has been more ball dominant ever than before when SB were coaching them, he used to come off screens way more often than he does now). Very small window of opportunity of success, I feel like.

So, all 3 young core will have bird rights by then, & let's say they do in-fact sign KD, PG might to open to taking a paycut when his contract ends, maybe? LMAO what a stretch.

I still would like to see the Lakers in the draft this year.

p.s. sorry about Detroit. I really saw them winning. Almost had G1 & G2.
    Im not sure leaving Westbrook to join George would be a much better situation for KD either.
    Yes Westbrook have been a bit crazy but you also factor in the supporting cast. Ibaka, Adams, Kantner is better than what the Lakers have.
    As a Laker fan ofcourse I would love him to come here but it just seems to me, going home and playing in the East would be an easier route to Conference finals, joining Wall (top 5 PG), Porter, Beal, Gortat rather than what is left for the Lakers if they have to trade for George.

NBA lottery pick

I would say it's highly doubtful he goes to Washington. I think the most likely scenario is he resigns with OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by dd24
    I would say it's highly doubtful he goes to Washington. I think the most likely scenario is he resigns with OKC.
    I think a lot will all depend on the next 3 games or so. If they lose to the Spurs, what reason is there to stay put? 4 years of trying, a new coach, a more productive center as compared to Perkins...etc. Maybe having Westbrook, a shoot first PG along side him will never work.
    Wall is I think top 3 in assists if Im not mistaken, no Warriors, no Spurs but just the Cavs to contend with. I love Miami but I think Wade is on his last legs.

NBA lottery pick

I agree the East is the easiest path. Most athletes actually don't like playing in their hometown though.