Page 2 of 75 FirstFirst 123451252 ... LastLast

Default Re: HBO's True Detective

I wouldn't quite say this show is like the wire, doesn't appear to have the depth but it's a good show, I'm still surprised they managed to get matthew and woody. I definitely recommend you watch it, it's worth your time.

Bear Chested Da Brawn STATUTORY's Avatar

completely mesmerized, familiar tropes in the first episode but I feel like they are anchoring us to cliches that will be subversed.

The acting is phenomenal. The show will keep me busy till GoT for sure

with God-given ass JimmyMcAdocious's Avatar

Pilot was good, not great. I think this show is going to build nicely, tho. McConaughey's performance is really well done.

Previews of Alexandra Daddario's boobs were already leaked like a week ago. They're real and spectacular. Best combination for looks is the eyes/boobs combo. FACT. Ms. Daddario has to be near the top of the list with Alison Brie and Diora Baird.

Quote Originally Posted by rufuspaul
    If we get to see this chick's boobs it will be worth tuning in.

Her bright blue eyes doe. She looks a lot like that chick from NBC's The Office, you know, Michael's front desk girl? 'm typically not into the blonde hair / blue eyes type of female, but something about this broad - she do it to me. So there's a tit shot(s) of her in the series?

*Clay Davis voice*

SHEEEEEEEIIIIIIIIIIIIT.

No one answered my original question though - is this show going to resemble anything that was HBO's The Wire?

Last edited by Josh; 01-13-2014 at 08:25 PM.

Local High School Star TheReturn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Josh
    Her bright blue eyes doe. I'm typically not into the blonde hair / blue eyes type of female, but something about this broad - she do it to me. So there's a tit shot(s) of her in the series?

*Clay Davis voice*

SHEEEEEEEIIIIIIIIIIIIT.

No one answered my original question though - is this show going to resemble anything that was HBO's The Wire?

Actually, someone did.

Show seems pretty cool, I think I'll give it a try.

This is probably a stupid question, but being it's HBO, is this show anything like The Wire?

Man, I really need to get HBO again.

No, it is not like the Wire.

Anyone think the reason they brought the cops back is they have suspicions one of them is responsible?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

I loved the acting and was mesmerized by the dialog, but I'm also afraid this could drag on a bit like The Killing did. Matthew McConaughey is quickly becoming one of my favorite actors. 5 minutes in and I totally bought into the character rather than viewing him as McConaughey, while Harrelson did a decent job but I still viewed him as Harrelson rather than as his character.

Quote Originally Posted by Myth
    I loved the acting and was mesmerized by the dialog, but I'm also afraid this could drag on a bit like The Killing did. Matthew McConaughey is quickly becoming one of my favorite actors. 5 minutes in and I totally bought into the character rather than viewing him as McConaughey, while Harrelson did a decent job but I still viewed him as Harrelson rather than as his character.
    A lot of folks think McConaughey is just a success b/c of his looks and not by means of his natural acting ability, but I strongly beg to differ. The dude can play just about any role and has demonstrated this numerous times from multiple mediums. Big screen small screen doesn't matter. He can do it. Cable, movie theater doesn't matter. He can do it. Unlike some guys like Tom Hanks or Ed O'Neill who are built for one platform and not the other, McConaughey talent goes beyond that; he can do it all.

NBA sixth man of the year Levity's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by niko
    No, it is not like the Wire.

Anyone think the reason they brought the cops back is they have suspicions one of them is responsible?
    the way they were questioning woody's character about cole toward the end of the episode makes it seem like they think its him. but im sure thats what the director wanted us to think this early into the season

A lot of folks think McConaughey is just a success b/c of his looks and not by means of his natural acting ability, but I strongly beg to differ. The dude can play just about any role and has demonstrated this numerous times from multiple mediums. Big screen small screen doesn't matter. He can do it. Cable, movie theater doesn't matter. He can do it. Unlike some guys like Tom Hanks or Ed O'Neill who are built for one platform and not the other, McConaughey talent goes beyond that; he can do it all.
    I agree with you on most parts, but I think Tom Hanks could pull off TV (never did see Bosom Buddies). Tom Hanks is also more proven than McConaughey in narrating documentaries and pulling off the lead in a comedy. I think McConaughey could easily do documentary narrating, but I'm not sold on his comedy chops in a lead role. Outside of that, McConaughey is an ace actor.

Quote Originally Posted by Myth
    I'm completely with you on the McConaughey thing.
    I just recently finished up watching Dallas Buyers Club, Mud, and Wolf of Wall Street. He was absolutely brilliant in all of them, even in Wolf, where he played a very small role.
    Hes doing exactly what Leo and Brad Pitt did for themselves, but for him it seems to have come a lot later in his career. Do the heart throb thing, and then really start acting.

Man, I loved the pilot.

Matthew Mcconaughey is remarkable in it and his character is really intriguing. The whole thing had me mesmerized. Can't wait for more.

Like others have said Mcconaughey has been on a hell of a role lately, he can really act. He just won the Golden Globe for Best Actor last night for Dallas Buyers Club and he was amazing in Mud as well. Great to see him doing these interesting roles because he really can act.

Can't wait to see how this show plays out.

Yeah I'm a fan of his acting as well.

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    I'm completely with you on the McConaughey thing.
    I just recently finished up watching Dallas Buyers Club, Mud, and Wolf of Wall Street. He was absolutely brilliant in all of them, even in Wolf, where he played a very small role.
    Hes doing exactly what Leo and Brad Pitt did for themselves, but for him it seems to have come a lot later in his career. Do the heart throb thing, and then really start acting.
    Yeah. He has always shown he could be great with movies such as A Time to Kill and Frailty, but he has even stepped up his game since those performances.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

McConaughey went through a bad stretch of romantic comedy leads, like Failure to Launch, The Wedding Planner, How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, Ghosts of Girlfriends Past. Ughh. And unfortunately, those are the kind of movies that get circulated on cable forever.

Then he started taking some peculiar roles. I'm sure he made plenty of money on those date movies, and probably felt like he could take some chances. We start seeing him in smaller budget stuff, and smaller roles that are more interesting. The Lincoln Lawyer was excellent. Killer Joe was super weird and pulpy. He had small comic roles in Eastbound and Down and Tropic Thunder where he stole scenes. I haven't seen Mudd but have heard great things. Another supporting role in Magic Mike where he steals every scene he's in. Very short appearance in Wolf of Wallstreet that reminded me a little of Alec Baldwin's epic walkthrough in Glen Gary Glen Ross. An Oscar caliber leading performance in Dallas Buyers Club (A movie I had a few issues with, but none with him or Jared Leto). Now this role in True Detective, and probably an apex as the sort of hand picked lead in Christopher Nolan's new movie Interstellar for next year.

That's a hell of a run that spans comedy and drama in roles that are Oscar bait leading man stuff, to weird character pieces, to small one offs.

And I do believe the guy has always been good. Myth listed a couple good ones. He was chosen by Speilberg for a major role in Amistad. His Wooderson is comic legend from Dazed and Confused.

All that said, I worry about this True Detective role. When Woody tells him to stop saying weird shit, and that the car is for internal reflection, I was right there with him. Although his current day version of Rust Cole seems far more interesting, and the getting from point a to point b on that character may be the most intersting thing the show does.