Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2007, 12:58 PM   #31
Joey3000
High school junior varsity star
 
Joey3000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 627
Joey3000 has not been impressing people
Default Re: What's better to have, 2 superstars or 4 good players?

what makes a champion is when someone is able to step up and make big plays... thatís what a super star is. Good players dont consistently step up and make the big plays.
Joey3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 02:26 PM   #32
DaCommish
I brick open layups
 
DaCommish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 121
DaCommish has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: What's better to have, 2 superstars or 4 good players?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey3000
what makes a champion is when someone is able to step up and make big plays... thatís what a super star is. Good players dont consistently step up and make the big plays.

In that case, we can't consider McGrady and Yao as superstars (on a totally different topic, can you consider someone a superstar if they cannot win a playoff series, even with the help of another "superstar"?)

Sure, Shaq/Kobe and MJ/Pippen won lots of championships, but so have non-superstar duos. We already mentioned the Pistons, but who was Duncan's co-superstar in his championships (besides the year with David Robinson)? Please don't try and pass off Ginobili and Parker as superstars, you only insult yourself.
DaCommish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 02:34 PM   #33
jackjohnson
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 244
jackjohnson has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: What's better to have, 2 superstars or 4 good players?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaCommish
In that case, we can't consider McGrady and Yao as superstars (on a totally different topic, can you consider someone a superstar if they cannot win a playoff series, even with the help of another "superstar"?)

Sure, Shaq/Kobe and MJ/Pippen won lots of championships, but so have non-superstar duos. We already mentioned the Pistons, but who was Duncan's co-superstar in his championships (besides the year with David Robinson)? Please don't try and pass off Ginobili and Parker as superstars, you only insult yourself.

they may not be superstars, but parker and gibobli are about as good as a 2nd and 3rd best player can be. both are legit all stars, can take over a game, are great 4th quarter players and never overstep their boundaries. they are the reason duncan can afford to shoot under 40% and be considered "great"
jackjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 02:44 PM   #34
CAYO
Serious playground baller
 
CAYO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 475
CAYO has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: What's better to have, 2 superstars or 4 good players?

t-mac and yao.
CAYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 02:50 PM   #35
luigi>mario
Now known as Luigi
 
luigi>mario's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,898
luigi>mario has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: What's better to have, 2 superstars or 4 good players?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackjohnson
they may not be superstars, but parker and gibobli are about as good as a 2nd and 3rd best player can be. both are legit all stars, can take over a game, are great 4th quarter players and never overstep their boundaries. they are the reason duncan can afford to shoot under 40% and be considered "great"

excellent point!
luigi>mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 02:56 PM   #36
luigi>mario
Now known as Luigi
 
luigi>mario's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,898
luigi>mario has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: What's better to have, 2 superstars or 4 good players?

Some championship math

2 superstars + 3 cardboard cutouts = first round exit (houston)
1 superstar + 2 all stars + 2 roleplayers = championship (spurs)
4 all stars + 1 roleplayer = championship (pistions)
1 goat + 1 superstar + 3 roleplayers = championship (bulls)
2 hofers + 2 roleplayers + 1 ostertag = disapointment (utah)

In short, sucessful teams must have role players. Rodmans pulling down boards and irritating on defense. Bowens hiting threes and slowing down scorers. San Antonio has had so much sucess due to signing over and over again players who are willing to play in their roles.
luigi>mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 03:02 PM   #37
Optimus Prime
Swaggy
 
Optimus Prime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,980
Optimus Prime has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: What's better to have, 2 superstars or 4 good players?

Two superstars to be the leaders and the players the team builds around. Get good roleplayers around them that know their role and play it well.

Jordan + Pippen + other guys (NO BIG SHOT ROB )
Kobe + Shaq + other guys (AND BIG SHOT ROB )
TD + Parker + other guys (AND BIG SHOT ROB )

Etc...
Optimus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 03:03 PM   #38
Rockets(T-mac)
NBA sixth man of the year
 
Rockets(T-mac)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 7,281
Rockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputation
Default Re: What's better to have, 2 superstars or 4 good players?

Considering that both team would have the same supporting cast it's Yao and T-mac.
Rockets(T-mac) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 06:02 PM   #39
DaCommish
I brick open layups
 
DaCommish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 121
DaCommish has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: What's better to have, 2 superstars or 4 good players?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackjohnson
they may not be superstars, but parker and gibobli are about as good as a 2nd and 3rd best player can be. both are legit all stars, can take over a game, are great 4th quarter players and never overstep their boundaries. they are the reason duncan can afford to shoot under 40% and be considered "great"

Then we can agree that Parker and Ginobili are good. Therefore, would you rather have 2 superstars, or 4 good players? Better question: Do you want to put all of your eggs in one basket?

This analogy can be applied in the investment world. Would you rather have one or two really killer stocks, or a portfolio of good ones? Having the portfolio mitigates risk in case one of the other stocks goes belly up (think Enron). If T-Mac goes down (which will happen every year), you're screwed. If Rip Hamilton goes down, the Wallaces, Billups, and Prince can help make up the slack.

I don't think there's a clear right or wrong, it's just a matter of risk tolerance.
DaCommish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 01:10 PM   #40
luigi>mario
Now known as Luigi
 
luigi>mario's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,898
luigi>mario has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: What's better to have, 2 superstars or 4 good players?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaCommish
Then we can agree that Parker and Ginobili are good. Therefore, would you rather have 2 superstars, or 4 good players? Better question: Do you want to put all of your eggs in one basket?

This analogy can be applied in the investment world. Would you rather have one or two really killer stocks, or a portfolio of good ones? Having the portfolio mitigates risk in case one of the other stocks goes belly up (think Enron). If T-Mac goes down (which will happen every year), you're screwed. If Rip Hamilton goes down, the Wallaces, Billups, and Prince can help make up the slack.

I don't think there's a clear right or wrong, it's just a matter of risk tolerance.

However, seperate stocks don't directly impact each other at all when compared to how much NBA team players do. Teams need someone to go to late in games, someone to take control when option one isn't coming through, and guys that play well off of other players. Without the right combo you might be able to win a lot of regular season games, but if you can't beat top teams in the playoffs you're in trouble. The suns has a great record but did poorly against top teams...composition troubles? maybe.
luigi>mario is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:30 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy