Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Celtics/Red Sox/Eagles UConnCeltics's Avatar

Default Re: Celtics hire Brad Stevens as head coach

Good move. A team thats tanking probably won't keep the coach when they finally become good. So if he sucks, so what? If he turns out to be the best thing then sliced-bread then good for the C's.

Brad Stevens is 36. There's probably 10-15 players in the NBA older than him. Not to mention, he's 36 and looks 26. Not that that means anything bad, but it's gonna be weird seeing a guy who looks like he's 25 coaching an NBA team.

Wonder where he ranks among the youngest NBA head coaches of all-time?

College superstar BlackWhiteGreen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KG215
    Brad Stevens is 36. There's probably 10-15 players in the NBA older than him. Not to mention, he's 36 and looks 26. Not that that means anything bad, but it's gonna be weird seeing a guy who looks like he's 25 coaching an NBA team.
    5 months younger than KG.

Good job he's so young: apparently he's getting a 6-year deal.

Steve Bulpett ‏@SteveBHoop 7m
    League source says Stevens getting six-year contract with Celtics.

Banned

Six year contract?!?!

High School Starter mentallooser's Avatar

He'll work as a developmental coach while the team is rebuilding/tanking. Then he'll be replaced shortly after they have the players they want and have developed the young talent together.

College superstar BlackWhiteGreen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shade8780
    Six year contract?!?!
    I suppose the flip side is, all 6 years combined is still less than we'd have had to pay Doc just this year

I rule the local playground Rondo's Avatar

Dafuq.

I can see my username being extremely f*cking outdated pretty soon.

Edit: Hopefully Rondo sits out like Rose did. We get the #1 pick, Rondo comes back with Wiggins and we win it all. Book it bitches.
    Last edited by Rondo; 07-03-2013 at 07:04 PM.

5-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Jones
    Wow, this guy is getting a Rondo team??? Doc Rivers, one of the best player coaches ever, along with KG, perhaps the best leader in the game now had trouble keeping Rondo in line. Give it one year tops.

Quote Originally Posted by noob cake
    Stevens coach college players with near zero talent. Now he is going to coach the NBA?
    Why are you ? It makes perfect sense since the C's want to lose to get higher draft pick chances...

I rule the local playground Rondo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jzek
    Why are you ? It makes perfect sense since the C's want to lose to get higher draft pick chances...
    Pretty much.

Quote Originally Posted by UConnCeltics
    Good move. A team thats tanking probably won't keep the coach when they finally become good. So if he sucks, so what? If he turns out to be the best thing then sliced-bread then good for the C's.
    This.

Good High School Starter Celtic_Pride's Avatar

For those Cs fans who are disappointed, who exactly are you expecting, Stan Van Gundy or Jerry Sloan?

The team has some very good young players who are going to get better and hiring a college coach who preaches defense is the right thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by FireMcFailPlease
    Yea..I dont think this is going to work out. Especially if half of the team is older than the coach.
    Are you living under a rock or something?

Brad Stevens is 36. Name me 1 player who is currently on Celtics roster that is older than 30. I will wait

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

I really like this move. Stevens is widely considered a basketball guru of sorts. What better opportunity for him to show what he's got on the professional level? No one is expecting much of anything out of this Celtics' team.

If he's too young and not respected by the players, you have a mess on your hands that just so happens to coincide with the best draft in over a decade.

If he does live up to being the great basketball mind that a lot of people believe he is... Well, the Celtics could have conceivably upgraded from Doc Rivers.

Either way, I'd be happy if I'm a Cs fan. Much better choice than just tossing out one of the same old retreads.

Good college starter Kevin_Garnett_5's Avatar

I think this confirms Rondo being traded.

Banned

Good hire. He did great at Butler with no-NBA talents other than Gordon Hayward. We'll just have to see if his coaching can translate on the pro level.

Also, Rivers is one of the better coaches of the past 5 or 6 years but one of the best ever? I don't think so.

alternick = loser :D veilside23's Avatar

i dont understand the negative reaction the team is rebuilding and stevens is one of the best coaches in college .. I know he wasnt able to win anything yet but lets give this guy a chance. who do you want to coach the celtics? sloan on a rebuilding team ? do you think he can do better than anyone even if we put phil jackson or pop here they arent winning anything.

i think he has a good underrated coaching experience we will see i hope he complete the contract and we can then judge him after that.....

but if he gets fired we all know whats going to happen.