Default How to become a better shot blocker?

How? First of I'm not tall, I'm about 5'11. My vertical isn't nothing to drool at nether.

The main reason I ask is because I spend 90% of my time in the paint, I make it as hard as I can for my opponent so that he'll have a difficult time scoring or making that layup, but learning how to block shots would be more effective. I can stick with most workouts, lately I've been improving my rebounding and it shows in the game. I might be 5'11 but boxing out and anticipating that board works even when that 6'5 guy is trying to grab the board.

Default Re: How to become a better shot blocker?

The thing about shot blocking is that unless you're 6'10 and everyone else is a midget, it's pretty hard to block everything. If you're not like Amare Stoudemire when he was in high school, the following stuff applies:

- The importance of having teammates channel the opponents into a good position for help defense. You used to see it all the time with the Pistons and Ben/Sheed, and still see it with teams like the Spurs. There's no way people can consistently stop the likes of Kobe/Wade etc from penetrating, but defenders can make them take an awkward angle towards the basket. As a result of the bad angle, they may not be able to jump their full vertical, or they may have to expose the ball. In that situation, the help D can block or alter shots pretty effectively.

- Often it's best to get to a spot in the paint that's very... well, inconvenient, for the offensive player. Tim Duncan and Tyson Chandler do this very well. Just stand there and put up their long arms. Think from the offensive player's perspective. When you gather yourself for a layup, you're usually subconsciously anticipating something like, 'two steps and I'll jump somewhere between 8 and 2 feet from the basket'. If you can stand at a spot between the basket and the defender, that will impede their progress to where they intend to take off - it will make it much harder for them to get an ideal shot off. They'll have to consciously alter their steps and take awkward, tough-angled, lower-percentage shots. Or they'll run into you and commit a charge. Not really as fun or spectacular as actually blocking a shot, but it can be more effective at times. Also less risk of foul trouble, which is always a plus.

- If you're talking about blocking shots in man-to-man defense, you basically have to have a high standing reach and a good vert. On top of that, you'll need some good anticipation. See this clip of Maxiell blocking KG:

He's recognised the fakes, knows which side KG is going to go up on, and times his jump at just the right moment. He's also got some long ass arms and a good vert, so that always helps.

Sometimes you just want to send a message and swat a shot into the 5th row, but often it's not as feasible as some of the stuff I mentioned above. A lot of blocks come from pure size or athletic advantage over the offensive player.

Nonetheless, good luck with it :)

Blocking shots is about timing, length, and jumping ability. Unless you have some really long arms and a decent vertical I doubt you'd be a good shot blocker. It's really a talent that comes naturally, I've never met anybody who has vastly improved their shot blocking ability.

I don't know how you'd be able to improve your shot blocking other than working on your vertical, especially at 5'11. Then you'd have to focus on your timing. You said you improved your timing on your rebounding, so that's a start towards becoming a better shot blocker as well.

I know everything SHEED_ gangsta's Avatar

grab the opponents shoulder right before he jumps lol just kidding

Local High School Star Sicknote's Avatar

I generally anticipate the shot, but most of the people I play with are pretty predictable so I can amount about 3-4 bpg. Like someone said up there, its A TON easier when you have an athletic advantage over the offensive player.

iWANNAgoHIGHER. emsteez forreal's Avatar

i'm 6'2 with a low vertical, the best thing you can do is go for the strip . that's what i always do and it always works .

Quote Originally Posted by 3stat2
    The thing about shot blocking is that unless you're 6'10 and everyone else is a midget, it's pretty hard to block everything. If you're not like Amare Stoudemire when he was in high school, the following stuff applies:

- The importance of having teammates channel the opponents into a good position for help defense. You used to see it all the time with the Pistons and Ben/Sheed, and still see it with teams like the Spurs. There's no way people can consistently stop the likes of Kobe/Wade etc from penetrating, but defenders can make them take an awkward angle towards the basket. As a result of the bad angle, they may not be able to jump their full vertical, or they may have to expose the ball. In that situation, the help D can block or alter shots pretty effectively.

- Often it's best to get to a spot in the paint that's very... well, inconvenient, for the offensive player. Tim Duncan and Tyson Chandler do this very well. Just stand there and put up their long arms. Think from the offensive player's perspective. When you gather yourself for a layup, you're usually subconsciously anticipating something like, 'two steps and I'll jump somewhere between 8 and 2 feet from the basket'. If you can stand at a spot between the basket and the defender, that will impede their progress to where they intend to take off - it will make it much harder for them to get an ideal shot off. They'll have to consciously alter their steps and take awkward, tough-angled, lower-percentage shots. Or they'll run into you and commit a charge. Not really as fun or spectacular as actually blocking a shot, but it can be more effective at times. Also less risk of foul trouble, which is always a plus.

- If you're talking about blocking shots in man-to-man defense, you basically have to have a high standing reach and a good vert. On top of that, you'll need some good anticipation. See this clip of Maxiell blocking KG:

He's recognised the fakes, knows which side KG is going to go up on, and times his jump at just the right moment. He's also got some long ass arms and a good vert, so that always helps.

Sometimes you just want to send a message and swat a shot into the 5th row, but often it's not as feasible as some of the stuff I mentioned above. A lot of blocks come from pure size or athletic advantage over the offensive player.

Nonetheless, good luck with it :)
    Wow, that's the most informative post I've read on ISH. Thanks!

I'll take your advice.

Quote Originally Posted by highwhey
    Wow, that's the most informative post I've read on ISH. Thanks!

I'll take your advice.
    No worries, when the topic is about playing basketball I can talk all day, this is the game I love to love (as cheesy as that sounds) :)

Quote Originally Posted by 3stat2
    No worries, when the topic is about playing basketball I can talk all day, this is the game I love to love (as cheesy as that sounds) :)
    You'll be proud to hear that I put your advice to use Yesterday. 5x5 game, full court, up to 32pts. I was in the paint, defending like Tyson Chandler, not expecting a block but instead just defending the inside from any threat..and all of a sudden I see it...in slow motion..I reached out and BAM!!! GET THAT $HIT OUT OF HERE!!!. I only got 1 block the entire game but I got several steals inside and from my perspective, I defended the inside very well.

The 2nd game(we won) ended bad tho, my bro and some guy jumped in the air at the same time and got tangled...the other guy fell straight to the ground and landed on his head about 2 feet away from me. I heard his head slam the concrete, I almost felt it too...I feel really sorry for the guy. luckily he didn't go unconscious but he was bleeding from his head and some fluid came out of his nose. The guy was cool tho, he didn't get mad. At another park, the same accident would have caused a huge fight.

Learning to shoot layups

If I were to rank things in terms of importance, I think timing is top. You have to learn to spot a feignt from an actual shot to stop yourself from wasting a good jump or losing your man.

Keep an eye on your opponent, try to spot little habits he'll undoubtedly have before taking the shot

__________________________________________________ _________
    Double Your Playing Time, Increase Your Confidence and Triple Your Chances For Getting In The NBA
    http://www.best-basketball-tips.com/...an-within.html

Plus, lots of FREE stuff at:
    www.best-basketball-tips.com

When you're closing out on a shooter, dont just jump with ur arm straight up in the air, get your hand leaning in just above his head, going for the ball - no matter how far away you are. It's all about timing and anticipation. Always try and block it as soon as it leaves his hand. You need to have body control too, so that you dont give up fouls after the block. Stay on your toes and dont leap for shots early unless they're going for a shot late in the clock. They say its easier to block from the help side but I personally find it easier to block my own man's shot.

Timing is eveerything.

Quote Originally Posted by Dresta
    Timing is eveerything.
    if you have timing you can block anybody's shot.

back when i played high school ball we had a 6'9" who got a D-1 scholly, i'm only 6'4" and i pinned his **** on the backboard a couple of times just of timing it right.

Saw a basketball once

im 5'10 and im a good shot blocker, the best way to block someones shot, especially tall people, is when they are posting someone up, come off your man as they are pivoting for a turn around shot and they'll never know what hit em!

but as a lot of people have probably said its all about timing. no matter how tall the person is, at some point they will always be holding the ball somewhere around the their chest, as long as you time it right, you can block anyone.

another thing i do is what i call a "defensive pump fake". if someone is trying to cross you up, act like you fell for a fake and squat a bit and put your hand up as if you are about to jump, they might pump fake then when they go back up for the shot you got them right where you want em.

Quote Originally Posted by highwhey
    How? First of I'm not tall, I'm about 5'11. My vertical isn't nothing to drool at nether.

The main reason I ask is because I spend 90% of my time in the paint, I make it as hard as I can for my opponent so that he'll have a difficult time scoring or making that layup, but learning how to block shots would be more effective. I can stick with most workouts, lately I've been improving my rebounding and it shows in the game. I might be 5'11 but boxing out and anticipating that board works even when that 6'5 guy is trying to grab the board.
    Another note to this: if you know what people like to do and their basic line of moves, you can better predict where to put yourself in order to get off a decent block; if you don't get up high enough you may get a piece of the ball or even make it a tough look for the shooter. I myself probably have average athleticism, and last weekend had 2 nasty blocks in man2man D in a game. My guy was quick and likes to spin so I let him cross me left, stayed chest to chest with him and when he went for the spin I was already standing where he was turning too and got an easy block. a few plays after that I left my man to help close out on a shooter who faked and attacked the basket and he ended up dishing the ball under the rim. I wasn't looking yet but I was sure someone was there as I left my man and as soon as I turned around, I got block #2.

If you can anticipate your mans moves it can be pretty easy to block a shot, although going for the block isn't always the best play. Containing your man and forcing him to take a bad shot or turn it over is usually more efficient, unless you're a pro at getting blocks and tipping them to yourself