Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Good High School Starter Mach_3's Avatar

Default Re: Arnold Schwarzenegger praising Wilt's strength on bs report

Quote Originally Posted by plowking

I've seen some of Australia's and videos of America's best bodybuilders curling 22lbs to 30lbs dumbbells. They don't go heavy on isolation exercises. Its all about stretch and contraction with the weight, not so much the weight itself. They aren't powerlifters. They aren't competing for strength.
    This, bodybuilders are concerned with how much they lift but how they lift the weight.

And by the motion Arnold does it seems as if he's talking about rope pulley tricep extentions. In which case 170 isn't THAT much for someone like Wilt who weighed more then 300 lbs. Especially if he was talking about post basketball Wilt

Quote Originally Posted by Pointguard
    Wilt is one of the those guys you call Ox strong. Just capable of crazy strength without it making sense. Dwight Howard is Ox strong because he has a 33inch waist and he can lift some massive weights. Wilt was weird in a lot of ways when you look at it. Why did he have so much more energy than other people when its harder for oxygen to get to his long extremities? He was always freakishly strong, and was naturally very coordinated, and very fast. He had crazy endurance and athletically was exceptional.

Wilt could do a flagpole which is just crazy when you think about it. You have to be naturally strong to pull that off. When you are seven feet its just bizarre.

Not to bring Wilt down but i've seen guys who don't weight lift at all be able to flagpole for several seconds at a time. It's not exactly the craziest thing in the world to do. And what do you mean Dwight is strong because his waist is small?

5-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Mach_3
    Not to bring Wilt down but i've seen guys who don't weight lift at all be able to flagpole for several seconds at a time. It's not exactly the craziest thing in the world to do. And what do you mean Dwight is strong because his waist is small?
    Are you serious, you don't know what I'm talking about - if you did you would know that height would have a lot to do with it, and you didn't mention it. Its a whole different equation when your feet are 8 to 9 feet away from the pole. And Wilt's center of body is in his legs not part of the torso like the many guys trying it on youtube. The majority of guys than can lift crazy weights can't flagpole because it requires a lot of inner strength as well as core strength. I was on my high schoold gynastics team and I did capeoeira, and I talked to the Barbarans (please Youtube Brooklyn Barbarians) who were in my local park, and in every one of those fields there were very few people that could flag pole, at least the right way. I youtube it and very few people actually do it.

The Dwight comment is tied into people putting size into the equation. Dwight is by nature a small guy but his weight lifting is probably tops among centers today. I think Marc Gasol by nature is a bigger guy. I doubt that he could ever lift weights like DH, tho.

Are you serious, you don't know what I'm talking about - if you did you would know that height would have a lot to do with it, and you didn't mention it. Its a whole different equation when your feet are 8 to 9 feet away from the pole. And Wilt's center of body is in his legs not part of the torso like the many guys trying it on youtube. The majority of guys than can lift crazy weights can't flagpole because it requires a lot of inner strength as well as core strength. I was on my high schoold gynastics team and I did capeoeira, and I talked to the Barbarans (please Youtube Brooklyn Barbarians) who were in my local park, and in every one of those fields there were very few people that could flag pole, at least the right way. I youtube it and very few people actually do it.

The Dwight comment is tied into people putting size into the equation. Dwight is by nature a small guy but his weight lifting is probably tops among centers today. I think Marc Gasol by nature is a bigger guy. I doubt that he could ever lift weights like DH, tho.
    Wilts standing reach is 9'6 1/2 barefoot....thats a LOT of length to hold up lol

Quote Originally Posted by Mach_3
    This, bodybuilders are concerned with how much they lift but how they lift the weight.

And by the motion Arnold does it seems as if he's talking about rope pulley tricep extentions. In which case 170 isn't THAT much for someone like Wilt who weighed more then 300 lbs. Especially if he was talking about post basketball Wilt
    That's not true at all. Body builders lift to get the maximum pump in the body part. In order to get the max pump you have to lift heavy weight, generally at least 80% (of max) for 5+ reps. 80% allows you full extension, and recruits all the muscle fibres to your muscle while you're lifting.

Doing 30 reps with twenty pounds isn't going to make your muscles grow as much as doing 8 reps with 40 pounds will.

It is true that body builders don't care about their max weights as much as power lifters do, but in order to efficiently build lean muscle you have to lift heavy weights. There's a reason you don't see the biggest guys in the gym lifting 10 pound dumb bells.

Edit: As a side note plowking you know anything about 5/3/1? I've been thinking about trying it out, but I don't know anyone that has done it, or knows anything about it.

Quote Originally Posted by jongib369
    Shaqs bench is 450, before he was a mound of fat/muscle (If I'm not mistaken)...His wingspan 7'7, Wilts 7'8...You're telling me Wilt couldn't approach that even when he was 320 while in his prime?

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about... Its great that you love Wilt and all, but stick to your computer games not gym discussions champ

Quote Originally Posted by coin24
    You clearly have no idea what you are talking about... Its great that you love Wilt and all, but stick to your computer games not gym discussions champ
    BAHAHAH Thanks Mr. Omnipotent

Please tell me how Shaq with the same wingspan before he was a blob reaching 350 LBS+ could bench 450, but Wilt not even 400 while weighing 320 with gradual increases? LOL. I can almost guarantee that I know not only more about working out than you, but basketball in general (But I could be mistaken)

*ROUGHLY*

I can name the stats for every specific year of Jordan, Magic, Bird, Wilt, Shaq, Kobe, LeBron, Duncan, Barkley, Ewing, kareem, West, baylor ETC off the top of my head

I can name EVERY teams record for the past 10 years

I can name NUMEROUS players heights and weights (yet again roughly)

I PLAYED basketball (I sucked at everything besides 3's and rebounding lol), I used to lift...ETC I can go on...and ON

I know quite a bit about basketball so to say "You clearly have no idea what you are talking about" is somewhat silly when you don't seem to be logically inconsistent in denying that Shaq could also...Unless I'm mistaken and he could only do it when he was a blob...OR you dont think he could I apologize

You just got aspergerd

(I'm just playing around I don't take any of this sh*t serious )

Flagpole? impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by jongib369
    BAHAHAH Thanks Mr. Omnipotent

Please tell me how Shaq with the same wingspan before he was a blob reaching 350 LBS+ could bench 450, but Wilt not even 400 while weighing 320 with gradual increases? LOL. I can almost guarantee that I know not only more about working out than you, but basketball in general (But I could be mistaken)

*ROUGHLY*

I can name the stats for every specific year of Jordan, Magic, Bird, Wilt, Shaq, Kobe, LeBron, Duncan, Barkley, Ewing, kareem, West, baylor ETC off the top of my head

I can name EVERY teams record for the past 10 years

I can name NUMEROUS players heights and weights (yet again roughly)

I PLAYED basketball (I sucked at everything besides 3's and rebounding lol), I used to lift...ETC I can go on...and ON

I know quite a bit about basketball so to say "You clearly have no idea what you are talking about" is somewhat silly when you don't seem to be logically inconsistent in denying that Shaq could also...Unless I'm mistaken and he could only do it when he was a blob...OR you dont think he could I apologize

You just got aspergerd

(I'm just playing around I don't take any of this sh*t serious )

Firstly though, i wasnt talking about your basketball knowledge, obviously you're on a forum dedicated about it in the offseason so you're a fan...
    My only real problem is people shooting off lift figures when they dont understand the weights in comparison to what theyre talking about..

My first post was saying people YOU see in the gym, not the Wilts or Shaqs or other 0.001% of the worlds people that are super athletes.. They will not be benching 400 pounds unless they are life dedicated bodybuilders on strict diets and usually steroids
    Im sure Wilt and Shaq could push out a few reps on low 400s being there size, strength etc as theyre basically freaks of nature, but 500 and upwards like people claim Wilt did? Not likely...

Its also funny when you see retards like Pauk talk about BF%s

Future D1 Dad

now i would have actually believed that arnold flipped a cougar off of his back.

7/11/14 We Witness NattyPButter's Avatar

probably talking about skull crushers since they most likely didn't call it by that name at that time. 120lbs would be heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by lilgodfather1
    That's not true at all. Body builders lift to get the maximum pump in the body part. In order to get the max pump you have to lift heavy weight, generally at least 80% (of max) for 5+ reps. 80% allows you full extension, and recruits all the muscle fibres to your muscle while you're lifting.

Doing 30 reps with twenty pounds isn't going to make your muscles grow as much as doing 8 reps with 40 pounds will.

It is true that body builders don't care about their max weights as much as power lifters do, but in order to efficiently build lean muscle you have to lift heavy weights. There's a reason you don't see the biggest guys in the gym lifting 10 pound dumb bells.

Edit: As a side note plowking you know anything about 5/3/1? I've been thinking about trying it out, but I don't know anyone that has done it, or knows anything about it.
    Completely agree on the heavy weight for something like 5 reps. But that is more for their compound movements. Isolation exercises is completely different. On the bench and squats they will stack up the weights.

5/3/1? Yeah. Are you using it simply to gain strength? I found it does work well for it, more so than 5x5, but I found that my cardio dropped a significant amount, or maybe my mindset when going back to lifting regularly afterward. What I mean is my 1 rep max went up on my lifts, but when I went to do 10 reps of a weight I could previously do, I found it a little harder, and in some cases failed due to just being fatigued. I stick to 5x5 or a 6x4 routine now. Works best for me personally.
    So yeah, if you want to keep a certain level of fitness keep doing 5x5 (if you are already) or start on a 5x5 program. Otherwise if you want to boost that 1RM, try the 5/3/1. It helped me the most, and it was good for the ego.

Personally i think your completely overblowing how hard flagpoling is, imo the two biggest factors for it are core strength and your weight (well bf% more) but i understand your point

And Marc Gasol might be stronger then Dwight, who knows. You can't just look at a guys body and say he's stronger then so and so. I've seen powerlifters who look like chewed bubble gum who can outlift guys that are built like prime Arnold. (And they were around the same weight to)

Quote Originally Posted by lilgodfather

i see enough of that on the bodybuilding.com message boards as it is and you completely took my post out of context, why the hell would anyone do 30 reps with 20 lbs is beyond me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8wZNGL4iA4

listen and learn

Sofoklis Schortsanitis benches 450+ and they claim it is the official record for any basketball player in the world.

So this definitely disputes the Wilt tales.