Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Is Skyrim the greatest game of all time?

Sorry i came here to win this thread.
    Starcaft is goat and it's not close, no other game could even get half size of crowds starcraft is getting.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5UkQ...eature=related

theres alotta games that qualify for GOAT lol

Zelda Ocarina of Time anyone?
    Mass Effect series
    Super Mario
    GTA

and i guess theres a good group of pre-n64 titles too that I'm not aware of

Goat Games?

Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare: this must have been one of the greatest improvement in online fps of all time. The online depth, the challenges, guns, perks, killstreaks, weapon attachements = mind blowing. I think you people are forgetting how great that game was when it came out and what the reason is for the good sales of Mw2 and Mw3

Grand Theft Auto 3: need more to say? crazy, crazy game

NBA sixth man of the year Micku's Avatar

Skyrim is one of the best games that I ever played. The world that they created is the best of the TES series because it feels alive. But they still should've hired some of the writers that did Fallout NV to do the companions better and make the factions and your decisions have more of an impact of the world like Fallout NV.

IMO, Skyrim literally just missed a couple of features that Bethesda and Obsidian (New Vegas) did before that would've made this game a better contender for GOAT.

If you got the PC version, there are bunch of mods that you can get that makes the game better.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrei89
    Goat Games?

Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare: this must have been one of the greatest improvement in online fps of all time. The online depth, the challenges, guns, perks, killstreaks, weapon attachements = mind blowing. I think you people are forgetting how great that game was when it came out and what the reason is for the good sales of Mw2 and Mw3

Grand Theft Auto 3: need more to say? crazy, crazy game
    I found GTA: SA to be the best of the GTA series. It had the most features in any GTA series, and the largest map.

DQ5, DQ6, FFIV, FFV, FFVI, Chrono Trigger >>>>>>>

Local High School Star clipse026's Avatar

Skyrim is a pretty lifeless, boring game imo and I've played it for about 20 hours on PC. Still can't really enjoy myself. There are much better choices for GOAT and none of them have been released on this generation of consoles/PC.

Quote Originally Posted by fpliii
    DQ5, DQ6, FFIV, FFV, FFVI, Chrono Trigger >>>>>>>
    You forgot DQ8, FF7, Legend of Dragoon, Earthbound

No. The exploration and world is great, but the combat feels kind of clunky and the story/characters pretty much suck.

Good High School Starter Mach_3's Avatar

I'm level 73 right now in Skyrim and hell to the no it's not the greatest game of all time. Then again i don't think anything is surpassing Socom II or Ocarina of Time

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Heavincent
    No. The exploration and world is great, but the combat feels kind of clunky and the story/characters pretty much suck.
    This is pretty much exactly what I think too.

I played it pretty non stop for that first month or so. Took a little to get into it. The time required to create the character, and first start getting around, is tough. But after that exploring the world was really fascinating.

I've always been into leveling up, so that was enjoyable for a while, but even that got to a point where I was a little disappointed to find out I wouldn't be able to max out all the perks without cheating.

And in addition to the combat being clunky, and I play in 3rd person, it was the repetition of the quests that was most exhuasting to me. There just wasn't much payout. I remember stopping after I was at the mage college, and the librarian asking me to get books for him. I'd run off and get the book, come back, he'd give me 20 bucks, then send me out for another one. Now I know I can stop whenever I like, but the completionist in me was driven crazy, and it became beyond tedious.
    From what I've heard from my cousin, who I played with at the same time, and we went through the same sort of life cycle, Fallout did a lot of this stuff better. The life cycle for both of us was "this was a huge pain in the ass getting started, I'm not even sure I want to continue ... did you find this, no, I found that though, where's that, do you have the boots that let you carry extra weight, where's you find them, which way are you heading now, did you do this mission ... to finally, how many goddamned caves are in this stupid place?!?"

I never finished it. And in fact, my sense of completionism led me to do a far greater percentage of side missions than story missions, and I'm probably not even that close to completion, although I could probably run through it pretty easy because of all the upgrades I have at this point in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous

I played it pretty non stop for that first month or so. Took a little to get into it. The time required to create the character, and first start getting around, is tough. But after that exploring the world was really fascinating.

I've always been into leveling up, so that was enjoyable for a while, but even that got to a point where I was a little disappointed to find out I wouldn't be able to max out all the perks without cheating.

And in addition to the combat being clunky, and I play in 3rd person, it was the repetition of the quests that was most exhuasting to me. There just wasn't much payout. I remember stopping after I was at the mage college, and the librarian asking me to get books for him. I'd run off and get the book, come back, he'd give me 20 bucks, then send me out for another one. Now I know I can stop whenever I like, but the completionist in me was driven crazy, and it became beyond tedious.
    From what I've heard from my cousin, who I played with at the same time, and we went through the same sort of life cycle, Fallout did a lot of this stuff better. The life cycle for both of us was "this was a huge pain in the ass getting started, I'm not even sure I want to continue ... did you find this, no, I found that though, where's that, do you have the boots that let you carry extra weight, where's you find them, which way are you heading now, did you do this mission ... to finally, how many goddamned caves are in this stupid place?!?"

I never finished it. And in fact, my sense of completionism led me to do a far greater percentage of side missions than story missions, and I'm probably not even that close to completion, although I could probably run through it pretty easy because of all the upgrades I have at this point in the game.
    wow. now i don't even feel like playing it anymore. so far im a level 21 and the missions have been hella boring and repetitive. so many fetch quests, and the dungeons are becoming such an annoyance. i really love smithing, alchemy an enchanting parts of the game, but the combat really leaves a lot to be desired.

the story and plot seems pretty solid, but the characters are so bland. i think the only thing i really enjoyed was fighting a dragon priest when i was a level 10 lol. it took me forever to kill that asshole, but my persistence paid off.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bucket_Nakedz
    wow. now i don't even feel like playing it anymore. so far im a level 21 and the missions have been hella boring and repetitive. so many fetch quests, and the dungeons are becoming such an annoyance. i really love smithing, alchemy an enchanting parts of the game, but the combat really leaves a lot to be desired.

the story and plot seems pretty solid, but the characters are so bland. i think the only thing i really enjoyed was fighting a dragon priest when i was a level 10 lol. it took me forever to kill that asshole, but my persistence paid off.

Smithing, Alchemy, and Enchanting are the three things I perked all the way up too and got best at.
    I got to a point where I was just enchanting everything and anything with whatever I had just so I could upgrade my enchanting. Go sell it all off. Buy a bunch of empty crystals, go on a quest, collect as much shit as I can carry, repeat the enchanting/selling/buying crystals ... and out again.

Bump. Yes.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by clipse026 View Post
    Skyrim is a pretty lifeless, boring game imo and I've played it for about 20 hours on PC. Still can't really enjoy myself. There are much better choices for GOAT and none of them have been released on this generation of consoles/PC.
    20 hours in that game is absolutely nothing.

games like ocarina of time may be GOAT relative to their time, but really... the graphics and gameplay dont even come close to skyrim. video games have advanced so much, its just not a comparison. and i played all the original n64 games as a kid a ton.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous View Post

the side missions and deadric quests were the best part of the game.

i also thought the gameplay was pretty smooth. game wasnt meant for 3rd person even though they allow it. the animations they added for sneak kills were sick.